The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Margaret thatcher's attack on the trade unions and fight against inflation, which essentially shaped the next 20 years.
Reply 941
Iraq War?
Thankyou! I like the margaret thatcher idea. Any more?
Human Rights Act 1998
Reply 944
Labour vs Conservatives.
Reply 945
jen vet
Hey,

I'm wanting to study vet science at uni, and am thinking of researching 'how selective breeding has altered modern farming methods' or possibly selective breeding in other domestic animals eg. dogs. Can anyone help me expand on this or give me any good suggestions for other topics to choose?

Thanks!

You're question is alright. Have you brainstormed what sub-topics you want to do it on?

Also, try Royal Veterinary College website, check their modules, any topics interests you, you can do further research in.

similarly, you can also check other universities' website for their module content.

hope this helps.
Reply 946
mizzangelic05
My project is just a 5000 word essay.

Just wanted to ask, does the 5000 words also include the bibliography and footnotes, or is it just the actual essay that needs to be 5000 words?

everything in the dissertation has to be 5,000 words
Reply 947
i am doing something about ethical and recycled fashion and making a garment to go with it
kuroshokora
And that's after narrowing it down from my original idea... :lolwut:

:lolwut: Narrowing down?

(Mine needs expanding... :woo: )
gernumblies
:lolwut: Narrowing down?

(Mine needs expanding... :woo: )

Yeah, originally was going to be about the entire historical context, whereas I've managed to reduce it to the political element. My supervisor told me that I need to remember that this is a project and not a thesis :laugh:
Reply 950
Hi, I was originally going to do Sleeping Disorders but my supervisors told me this topic was too broad and I should narrow it down.

What do you guys think and what other similar titles could I do?

I was thinking along the line of physocological effects?
Reply 951
Your idea sounds good. Maybe you could incorporate it with whether the justice system is actually in accordance with the ''Rule of Law'' or something like that?
I am looking to do my EPQ on a law topic. Something about how the James Bulger case was handled? I cant come up with a suitable question. Help please! Many thanks.
Is the extended project worth it?? Has anyone does it, and if so did it help you in any way getting into Uni?
I'm doing it right now!
It's actually graded with the equivalent points as an AS level.
University administer tutors apparently love this because it's independent research, also it can also lower your individual conditional offer, in some universities!
Reply 954
I was asked about it at a uni interview. I think it probably allowed admissions tutors to see that I was actually interested in the law.
DarkEnvy
I have a topic of my choice, but I need ideas for presentation. It would be displayed in a hall and I'd have to discuss it, but since my topic is on phobias, I was wondering what sort of presentation should I include.

You're presenting it in a hall? I'm doing mine at the moment and my audience is my supervisor and another teacher. I can invite more people as an audience if I choose to, is that the same for you?

I'm doing an essay and probably a power-point, explain my essay with the power point and i'm trying to get my friend to help me make a video. Not got a clue how to work camera's for that sort of stuff.
Benjef
Hi, I was originally going to do Sleeping Disorders but my supervisors told me this topic was too broad and I should narrow it down.

What do you guys think and what other similar titles could I do?

I was thinking along the line of physocological effects?

Try and link something with it?
Like is X linked to sleeping disorders? For example, depression or anorexia.
Then you can go into it pretty deep with Biology and medical research. Grab some statistics or something?
We've been advised to base it around a question, so then you can answer your question, with your project!
JodehBaker
I can't deicde whether to do History or International Business at Uni so I want to do an EPQ that combines the two subject areas. Has anyone got any ideas ?

Thank you
Well you could write one on Economic History
For example you could take on the argument about whether the crisis in the free market/capitalism has meant that the theories of Marx were right after all. You can argue both ways.

Another example the impact on industrial revolution on society such as
- Chartism
- The rise of the labour Party
- The womens's rights movement

This can be done in an industrial context.
matt_copas
I'm wondering whether to apply for history or chemistry at uni. History is a my weakest subject but also the most interesting/easiest to read in to

If I can do well in the AS exams in history I'll do it next year and chemistry will be dropped. If not, history will be dropped.

My question is this: Does the EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) have to be relevant to your uni course or does it still look good in a different subject area?

So If i were to do my EPQ in history and apply for Chemistry, would the admissions tutors be curious as to why I applied for chemistry yet did an EPQ in history?

Also any ideas for history would be nice :smile:

Thanks alot!
Well it was recommended that you do it on either
- Something of direct relevance to the University course you like or
- Something of (possible) unrelated interest to you.

Having an EPQ in the subject you are applying for is probably helpful as it gives you further reading+knowledge. However, by doing it in another subject you could also show you have multi skills/interests - Which isn't a bad thing.
riot06
Hii
Im doing the extended project with the idea of combining history and economics together. Only thing is i have no idea what my question should be. I was thinking questions like "has communism ever existed" "to what extent was the emergence of the nazi party down to economic climate?".
However, im really interested in dictatorships, culture, totalitarianism, effects on society etc. Its more history based but it also has to include economics..and i'd like to focus on the 19th or 20th century.
Any ideas!?
Thanks! :smile:

Well you could write one on Economic History
For example you could take on the argument about whether the crisis in the free market/capitalism has meant that the theories of Marx were right after all. You can argue both ways.

Another example the impact on industrial revolution on society such as
- Chartism
- The rise of the labour Party
- The womens's rights movement

This can be done in an industrial context.

Quick Reply

Latest