helpful
    60.88%
    not helpful
    39.12%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theteenagecurse)
    Hello
    I'm about to start my A levels (English lit, History, Class civ & Politics) and I'm looking to do an EPQ (AQA, I think) but am a little stuck on the topic
    I'm really interested in History (as you can probably tell by my choices), especially 1960's & civil rights (Martin Luther King & the black civil rights movement in America being my absolute favourite). However, I've just done this for GCSE and I'm fairly sure that it comes into my A level course too... would it be a bad idea to do an EPQ on this?
    Any topic ideas would be very helpful :p:
    Thank you
    I think as long as you dont entirely base your EPQ on what you have learnt in class, then it should be ok. For example I studied frankenstein for GCSE and A level and and using it for my EPQ but its under Gothic Fiction which means it branches out abit. So you could use Martin Luther King, but then you could compare him to other campaigners in different times who stood up for black civil rights such as Gandi (I think) and how in some ways the government stood against them?. only if you wanted to though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi im thinking of doing the extended project and got all the information and then realised that my original idea wasn't very good so i would like a new idea which involves both psychology and education and is REALLY stuck for idea's. please help?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Maybe something to do with how education affects behaviour? E.g. children who went to pre-school/day care/ etc. have better/worse behaviour?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    woops, my essay has ended up as 9100 words, not the specified 5000
    how bad is that in the aqa spec?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duckzilla)
    You have to get assessors (should be teachers) from your school. While dong the extended project you have to make a log book, and they have to comment on it and sign it. You also have to perform a verbal presentation to them which they will assess, so you will need to go through your sixth form college.

"Log book"? :eek3: We were never told about that!?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to know is Extended Project is considered as an AS level,
    usually you need to have 3 A levels and an AS level for university so if I do
    Maths, English Literature and Religious studies to full A level and do extended project will that count as 3 A levels and an AS level?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    They don't count as AS levels for university offers.

eg. AAAb won't accept your EPQ at grade b as an AS.

However, if your offer is in UCAS points then it is fair game.

eg. 240 UCAS points, 2 A Levels + EPQ is fine.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else getting to the stage where they're wondering why they ever thought it would be a good idea to do the bloody EPQ? I'm trying to write mine atm and normally I'm good at essay writing but this is just doing my head in. I keep having to do more research as I go and every paragraph is just taking so much effort and now I'm trying to work out how to structure it because the plan I had isn't really working and just ARGHHH.

Just had to get that off my chest!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    The teachers at my school haven't been too helpful and tbh I'm not completely sure how to write the project. Initially I thought it was about a topic you're interested in and then writing it like an essay, but the more I read into it it's more about analysing articles and the rest is discussing the sources you used and objectives etc. Can ANYONE please clarify what I am meant to write about, whether it is a big essay, or if it is just analysis of sources and talking about what you've learnt from the project etc. SO CONFUSED!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing my extended project on a Law based subject as I don't do Law now but I would like to study it at University. I decided to do my EP on Miscarriages of Justice but I didn't get a chance to talk to a teacher about it so I am unsure whether that would be a good idea that would appeal to Universities who want Law Students.

I was going to write about a couple of big cases and draw from them the flaws in our justice system then as well as backing them up with more minor cases. I was also going to look at the flaws in the Jury System through the use of cases.

I just wanted to know whether this seemed appropriate?

Thoughts Please?

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Our teachers didn't say much about the EPQ - it's kinda left to our own devices.
    My initial understanding was that it's a 5000 word essay exploring the topic you picked, and then did a presentation on how you did the project, what you found out etc.
    However, other people I know doing the EPQ were given textbooks on the AQA EPQ and guides and stuff, which said to include analysing articles, talking about how it could be biased etc.
    So now I am in limbo - not much I can do until I find out exactly what they are asking for.

Any advice is much appreciated.
    (My topic is economics related)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    just wondering the word limit for the aqa one? it says 5000 i know but is that lower or upper limit? thaanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muddybike)
    I am currently doing my extended project on a Law based subject as I don't do Law now but I would like to study it at University. I decided to do my EP on Miscarriages of Justice but I didn't get a chance to talk to a teacher about it so I am unsure whether that would be a good idea that would appeal to Universities who want Law Students.

I was going to write about a couple of big cases and draw from them the flaws in our justice system then as well as backing them up with more minor cases. I was also going to look at the flaws in the Jury System through the use of cases.

I just wanted to know whether this seemed appropriate?

Thoughts Please?

Thanks
    hey, i'm in the same position as you what with not doing law atm but wanting to do it at uni haha. yeah sounds like a great idea, i'd recommend "just law" by helena kennedy, has quite a bit here and there about miscarriages of justice i'm doing mine on the erosion of freedom of expression which is alright, pretty bored of it now though

enjooooy
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    does anyone know if the AS Extended Project certifcate is posted out to you? My college didn't really help when I called up :/

Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    No, £14 is what the exam board charge to enter for 1 exam, including production costs etc (it varies a bit between boards and subjects). Any extra is what the school or college charge. If they have to invigilate your exam on your own, fair enough. If you are being invigilated with other candidates, they are simply making a profit out of you.
    I agree
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    EPQ sucks ****.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lellybean)
    Hi im thinking of doing the extended project and got all the information and then realised that my original idea wasn't very good so i would like a new idea which involves both psychology and education and is REALLY stuck for idea's. please help?
    This is quite vague, but you could do something about the relationship between memory and exam performance, or how other factors e.g. sleep (or lack of it :p:) and certain types of food impact on brain activity, and therefore, exam performance.

Sorry- that was rubbish, I know. :sigh: You'd do well to write a 5000 word essay on that.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Btw, does anyone know what we have to write for the research proposal? I've written most of it, but to be honest, I didn't have much of a clue as to what to write; most of it probably isn't relevant.

Also, is 500 words the limit or is it the minimum for the research proposal?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    well i just got my results back today and i got an A

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 1, 2014
New on TSR

Talk about SQA results day

Join the chat ahead of grades coming out on Tuesday

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.