The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
My official statement of results from AQA says 'A 23 points' and my summary sheet of all my results says 'A 81 points.' I just wondered if I could work out where the a*/a and a/b boundaries are.
Oliver Merry
I just got my results back.... A* for my extended Project, don't worry about size, mine was about 8000 words, they obviously didn't care :smile:

ah thats ok then, mine is 9101 words, ill try and trim it down a bit but probably wont get it at 5000
Well done thats amazing!
Why I hate the Extended Project with a passion:
-School pretty much forced us to do it (timetabled lessons, took people out of lessons, made people come back after school, devoted ECM sessions to it), without telling us when we signed up for the sixth form
-School made everyone in my year pick a religious topic (it's a Catholic school, and the RE department teaches and assesses EP) rather than something we were actually interested in
-Wasted almost the whole of Y12's timetabled EP sessions doing total junk, e.g. 'here's a copy of a Daily Mail article from 1999 on a topic none of you are doing your project on, here are some highlighters, pick out the important points'; 'I want you to do a practise essay, "Slavery is a figment of the imagination - do you agree?", despite the fact that it's not relevant to any of your topics' (I didn't get this back for three months after handing it in and I was given no useful feedback whatsoever)
-Delayed marking our dissertations for weeks, without telling us that we were supposed to do the presentation first so it could all be marked at once
-Also delayed the presentation for weeks for no apparent reason
-Marked the projects and gave most people (except the ones who obviously hadn't put any work in) As and Bs... in fact the highest grade was a C and only one person achieved it; the majority got Ds and Es. I was told I'd get an A and I actually got 8/28, a D.

So I wasted hours of my life working on that thing, time that I could have spent on my other subjects (although I got the dissertation done early so I don't think it affected my other grades), or just enjoying myself (I worked on it a lot over last summer), to get a grade D - three grades lower than the teacher marked it - when I hadn't even been told till a few weeks into Y12 that I would be expected to produce it. I also got the sense that the teachers weren't that bothered about it.

Apologies for the rant, but I'm still really annoyed about the whole thing...
Reply 1063
What uni's will accept that i have done this, im currently year 12 going into year 13. I want to study law and i have an open mind, but what uni will even acknowledge i have done EP and how much will they contribute into me getting a place at my desired uni. Thanks :smile:
Whilst most unis will not acknowledge this in any offers or anything as such, the skills which it develops in you for organisation and putting together a bibliography, logbook, and other things can be considered invaluable.

Is the EPQ optional or compulsory at your college?
Reply 1065
Its optional, i go to a very large school with a large sixth form, it had 200 applicants and only 50 places. Its focus is more on a history sort of basis though, although it does look about the laws passed and the political side of warfare
Reply 1066
Sorry if this has been asked already my computer is running so slow I cant read the whole thread but whats the cost to resit an AS on OCR and an A2 on OCR (per unit)? Also whats the cost of resitting an A2 unit on AQA? I cant seem to find the answers on the net.

Also I am confused about these UMS points - what are they and what do they mean? We have not had any help with this at college at all and apparently we should have got a table to try and work out how close we were to grade boundaries but we got nothing?

Thanks
Well, i'm deciding wether to submit my project as a "long written report", or a "shorter report plus artifact".

Could you pass off personally collected experimental data (Chemistry) as an artifact? Because, I was thinking about doing multiple experiements, producing graphs, calculations, etc.. but, i'm not sure if AQA would accept this as an "artifact".

Any comments?
Reply 1068
I'm not sure that will be classified as an artifact- it's part of your project development/research though, but its not an artifact :biggrin:!
I got an A* In this :biggrin:! haha and i didn't even put much effort into it :s-smilie:
zee757
I'm not sure that will be classified as an artifact- it's part of your project development/research though, but its not an artifact :biggrin:!
I got an A* In this :biggrin:! haha and i didn't even put much effort into it :s-smilie:

Awesome, well done on the A*.

Fair enough, I guess I have another 4700 words left! :biggrin:
What was your EPQ on? If I may ask.
Reply 1070
Usernam3
Awesome, well done on the A*.

Fair enough, I guess I have another 4700 words left! :biggrin:
What was your EPQ on? If I may ask.

My EPQ was titled ' An Image of 21st century Britain- what does contemporary Britain look like today' basically explored what being British means today, social problems in Britain and came up with recommendations of how to tackle some of the problems Britain currently has. Did a report+artifact as i basically did a montage on what Britain looks like today :biggrin:
I doubt you could pass that off as an artefact i'm afraid. Some people did chemistry projects at my college and they produce artefacts by synthesising aspirin or paracetamol. If you do something like that then you could use that as an artefact, but i'm pretty sure data wouldn't count i'm afraid.

I also got an A* for mine :smile: (not chemistry though)
You could make a 3D design of the nucleus with the electrons surrounding them. You could use wires and paint to improvise. Hope i helped to give you an idea.
I've been made to do the EP, and I don't really want to do it. I also don't know what I have to do. From what I do know I have to write a 5000 word essay. Is that all I have to do?
At the end of the log there is something about a presentation, do we have to make a presentation as well?
CapsLocke
I've been made to do the EP, and I don't really want to do it. I also don't know what I have to do. From what I do know I have to write a 5000 word essay. Is that all I have to do?
At the end of the log there is something about a presentation, do we have to make a presentation as well?

Yeh, you have to give a presentation to your class/someone willing to watch/staff. I had to do it to my class, and two teachers. It was a fail, because it was maths based, and I just wrote lots of equations :biggrin:
Guys,
Just wanna ask about the write up for an artefact, what sub-headings is essential to include?
eg Intro, Research, Development, Conclusion.
Is it really imperative to put sub headings as it's only a supporting evidence/write up for the artefact anyway.
I am just worried I am doing the wrong thing.

Thanks
teukiechul
well i just got my results back today and i got an A :biggrin:

hey congrats on your A! You obviously deserved it!
I just want to ask if there's anyone in your school that did an artefact, for the write up, is it the same sub headings as a dissertation or can we write anything?

Thanks
Reply 1077
When filling out the UCAS form and you're entering your EPQ what do you put in the 'subject' field?

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/774/33458725.jpg
Am I really being stupid here or do you have to complete this by the time you have sent off your UCAS application?
ghast
When filling out the UCAS form and you're entering your EPQ what do you put in the 'subject' field?

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/774/33458725.jpg

I just went to check my application (via track) and it turns out I didn't even mention the EPQ. Ahwell.

I'd just put the title or area of focus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending