The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

**** i completely forgot i was getting a result in this, it seems so long ago and insignificant now. i just hope i get a C or above
Reply 101
Adam92
You are?! Copy :p:

I'm not a copy :ninja:

But in all seriousness, I think it'll be a good topic to discuss.

6000 words is much too long for my liking though :work:
Reply 102
Alika186
I'm not a copy :ninja:

But in all seriousness, I think it'll be a good topic to discuss.

6000 words is much too long for my liking though :work:

I was only joking :o:

Yeah, that's what I thought. There's so much to write, and with the credit crunch/recession, etc peoples opinions are changing since last year, so I don't think we'll struggle to write 5,000 words..

Can I be nosey and ask what resources you're using? :rolleyes:
Reply 103
Hey so how is everyone doing? I've made a plan etc etc & written 500 words, hopefully should get a lot more done next week.

Concerned about how I'm researching? Are we actually meant to do our own research, questionaires etc, I'm not actually sure I could do this. I have decided on a final title for mine, probs will at the end, but it's to do with social poverty & malaria in malawi. I am planning on doing a phone/email interview with a woman who works in the prevention team in malawi about how they are working to prevent the spread, what holds them back, etc etc. But the rest of my information is coming from medical textbooks, other books & the internet. Is that ok?
Reply 104
lekky
Hey so how is everyone doing? I've made a plan etc etc & written 500 words, hopefully should get a lot more done next week.

Concerned about how I'm researching? Are we actually meant to do our own research, questionaires etc, I'm not actually sure I could do this. I have decided on a final title for mine, probs will at the end, but it's to do with social poverty & malaria in malawi. I am planning on doing a phone/email interview with a woman who works in the prevention team in malawi about how they are working to prevent the spread, what holds them back, etc etc. But the rest of my information is coming from medical textbooks, other books & the internet. Is that ok?

You get credit for using different sources.. So you've got: phone/e-mail contacts, books, textbooks and websites currently. Maybe you could try e-mailing a professor or academic expert who knows about Malawi or malaria? That will supplement your other interview nicely and it counts as primary research.
Reply 105
Adam92
You get credit for using different sources.. So you've got: phone/e-mail contacts, books, textbooks and websites currently. Maybe you could try e-mailing a professor or academic expert who knows about Malawi or malaria? That will supplement your other interview nicely and it counts as primary research.

So it would be good to fit in some kind of questionaire somewhere? Then I can collect the data myself and create some kind of chart/graph? I might try to figure out a place where I could do that

perhaps try and fit in a little bit about public perceptions? Such as "how much help you do think the UK should give.." or "Are you aware of what precautions you should take before travelling to a malaria zone".... completely brainstorming these btw :p:

Will try to find a professor/academic expert
Reply 106
lekky
So it would be good to fit in some kind of questionaire somewhere? Then I can collect the data myself and create some kind of chart/graph? I might try to figure out a place where I could do that

perhaps try and fit in a little bit about public perceptions? Such as "how much help you do think the UK should give.." or "Are you aware of what precautions you should take before travelling to a malaria zone".... completely brainstorming these btw :p:

Will try to find a professor/academic expert

Yeah, it's all good. You could compare what different age groups or religions, etc think too
Reply 107
Adam92
I was only joking :o:

Yeah, that's what I thought. There's so much to write, and with the credit crunch/recession, etc peoples opinions are changing since last year, so I don't think we'll struggle to write 5,000 words..

Can I be nosey and ask what resources you're using? :rolleyes:

I know you were joking :rolleyes:

I'm starting off with:
"Britain in the European Union today" -Colin Pilkington
"Understanding the European Union"- Sir William Nicoll, Trevor C. Salmon
"European Community- The building of a union"- John Pinder

And possibly a few copies of Politics Review if I can get my hands on them.

What resources are you using...?
Reply 108
Alika186
I know you were joking :rolleyes:

I'm starting off with:
"Britain in the European Union today" -Colin Pilkington
"Understanding the European Union"- Sir William Nicoll, Trevor C. Salmon
"European Community- The building of a union"- John Pinder

And possibly a few copies of Politics Review if I can get my hands on them.

What resources are you using...?

Oooh :smile:

I've got:

"Both Sides of the Coin" - Christopher Huhne,
"The Euro, Yes or No? - an intelligent guide to the euro debate" - Anthony Browne,
"The UK and the Euro" - Paul Temperton,
Some beastly publication from The LSE,
Some newspaper articles and web pages,
Then all my primary research shizzle.

I take it your going for a politicsy discussion? Mines more about the effect on UK firms and the economy.
Reply 109
Adam92
Oooh :smile:

I've got:

"Both Sides of the Coin" - Christopher Huhne,
"The Euro, Yes or No? - an intelligent guide to the euro debate" - Anthony Browne,
"The UK and the Euro" - Paul Temperton,
Some beastly publication from The LSE,
Some newspaper articles and web pages,
Then all my primary research shizzle.

I take it your going for a politicsy discussion? Mines more about the effect on UK firms and the economy.

Oh wow...I may have to reserve those in the library. They sound v. useful :biggrin:

Yeah, i'm going for the political side, simply because it relates more to my [planned] degree. I would love to do the econ side, but I wouldn't have the foggiest what to write!

Whens your deadline?
Reply 110
Alika186
Oh wow...I may have to reserve those in the library. They sound v. useful :biggrin:

Yeah, i'm going for the political side, simply because it relates more to my [planned] degree. I would love to do the econ side, but I wouldn't have the foggiest what to write!

Whens your deadline?

They are. There's a bit about the political consequences and stuff. Very good sources :smile:

Yeah, that makes sense. You could weave some economics into yours so you can meet the word limit easily? Like urm, exchange rates and international trade.

I don't have a deadline, but I'm trying to get it mostly done before college starts again in Sept. You?
Reply 111
Yay...good sources. Should make life much easier :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have a strange feeling I will make the 6000 word limit, because I am a world class bs***er, and can waffle for Britain.

Exchange rates sound good and international trade sounds an awful lot like Geography :eek3:

My deadline is the 26th March. I'm not allowed to start it because I have to go to meetings with my EPQ tutor. Waste of time really.
I think we can start. but I have no idea what to write about still to be honnest. I didn't really think much about it either over Summer =/
fiddizle
i'm doing an ART related project but was wondering if i had to make a title in question form, or could i just focus on a particular art form and do a project based around that..

thanks for any help :biggrin:

I don't know if we're supposed to have the title as a question or not, but I know mine definitely isn't.
Reply 114
Alika186
Yay...good sources. Should make life much easier :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have a strange feeling I will make the 6000 word limit, because I am a world class bs***er, and can waffle for Britain.

Exchange rates sound good and international trade sounds an awful lot like Geography :eek3:

My deadline is the 26th March. I'm not allowed to start it because I have to go to meetings with my EPQ tutor. Waste of time really.

It's only 5,000 words isn't it?

It's econography :yep: there's a lot of crossover.
Reply 115
Adam92
It's only 5,000 words isn't it?

It's econography :yep: there's a lot of crossover.

For Edexcel it's 6000 words, or someone has been lying to me...:eek:

Econography- that would be a fun subject to study :yep:
Reply 116
Alika186
For Edexcel it's 6000 words, or someone has been lying to me...:eek:

Econography- that would be a fun subject to study :yep:

Ah yeah, the Edexcel specification says "it is estimated to be between 5000-6000 words", my bad. :o:
I had started mine but two day ago I changed what I wanted to do completely.
So now I'm back to the start. I'm going to be doing something along the lines of alternative medicine, like it's effectivness and popularity compared to conventional medicine Going to narrow it down after I've started doing proper research, all I've done so far is look up articles on New Scientist and started trying to write a questionnaire.
Reply 118
what topic ideas for english language EP? help appreciated :smile:
Finished the actual project last week :biggrin: cracked out 6000 words over 5 days :woo:

Can't believe its only like 40% of the total though!! I now have to go back and do the planning / "research" / etc :rolleyes:

What do we have to do about the presentation as well?

Quick Reply

Latest