The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fission_Mailed
The majority of marks are for filling out the evaluative sheets in as much detail as you possibly can. I ran out of space on the form for my final evaluation, so I ended up writing another page and a half on paper.

What happens if I half arsedly fill them in and then towards the end, can I go back to them and edit/add to them?
Original post by ForFreedom
What happens if I half arsedly fill them in and then towards the end, can I go back to them and edit/add to them?

That's kind of what I did. :ahee:
Reply 1442
I'm hoping to drop this, hate it with a passion.
I really don't understand which is the main essay?
I know you have to do:
- Abstract
- Introduction
- Research/Review
- Discussion
- Conclusion
- Bibliography

Is it the Discussion? Am I meant to write it like a normal piece of c/w (mine is history based) - I know I sound stupid but I haven't had much guidance. :frown:
Also, what the hell do I write in Research part?
Original post by folder
I just did my presentation yesterday. I felt really nervous although I think that I did ok surprisingly. Public speaking is not my thing.
Only the reflection to write and I'm all finished. Yay!

How did you set out your presentation? I'm doing mine in March-ish and I have no idea what to do!
Any ideas for a Law based EPQ? and is it worth it ?
Reply 1446
Original post by mellie220
How did you set out your presentation? I'm doing mine in March-ish and I have no idea what to do!

I just used a power point.:smile: I put in it what my essay was about, conclusions I made and I wrote a couple of slides about research. I used a graph at one point as well.

What is your project based on? You might wanna do something different.
Original post by folder
I just used a power point.:smile: I put in it what my essay was about, conclusions I made and I wrote a couple of slides about research. I used a graph at one point as well.

What is your project based on? You might wanna do something different.

Oh good, I had this awful vision that it had to be innovative... I'm rubbish at being creative with presentations or anything :P

Mine is about Italian Fascism, so I should be able to a similar kind of layout of presentation (just not graphs and data).
That's kind of what I did. :ahee:

How long did you spend on your's btw?
How long did you spend on your's btw?

About 2 hours a week from November to easter, culminating with a Monster powered all-nighter just before the holidays to hand in the final piece and finis the reflective writing. Then about a week to put together my presentation in the week after the holidays. 5000 words over a term really isn't a massive time commitment.
Reply 1450
I'm wanting to do an EPQ, but I was considering doing it on a more abstract topic, like the Amish. Is this a good idea, or should I stick to something related to PPE, which is the degree I want to do?
Personally, I think there are merits to doing something unrelated, and to doing something directly related to your preferred degree.

On the one hand, doing something unrelated shows that you have a broad knowledge / interest base, which universities like to see. On the other hand, by doing something PPE related, you show you have an interest in the component subjects, which would be good to put on your PS.

In my opinion, it really depends on what subjects you are doing. If you are doing Politics, Economics, and Philosophy - or at least a couple of them - then doing a PPE related Extended Project might not be necessary.

To be honest though, the fact that you have done an Extended Project is going to be far more important than the subject.

One more thing to remember, if you do a PPE related EPQ, you may be able to talk about your Extended Project topic in any interviews you may have.

Hope that helps!! :smile:
Reply 1452
I'm studying all three subjects at AS currently.

Yes it did, thank you :smile:
Anyone who did EPQ and got A* here? Tell us your secret?

Hey, yeah got my results recently! All the hard work seemed to pay off! My advice would be have a good, detailed plan, get lots of varied sources, and finally reference as you go along because (as I found out) it takes a ridiculous amount of time to go through and do it afterwards! haha good luck :smile:
Glad to hear it :smile:

I'm also applying for PPE; I wish I could study Philosophy and Economics at college! Good luck with your application :smile:
I'm in year 12 doing my A-levels and I'm looking into doing an EPQ to get the qualification. Is it easy enough to do around my A-levels? Also, my sixth form don't run it (as far as I'm aware), is there a way I can enter myself and just get a teacher liaison or something or do I have to enter with school? Or is it just too much work to be bothered with anyway.
Any answers appreciated, thanks :smile:
Hi peoples, I want to do an extended project related to the Law but can't think of any as of yet. I was wondering whether anyone could help me pick a question related to Law (what I want to study at uni) or anything along the lines of government or politics. Thanks in advance :smile:
hey im thinking i might do an EPQ but i need to decide on a topic and im having trouble with that...
im thinking maybe something on evolution of civilisation, future evolution of man, space colonisation, or maybe something to do with moral issues or religion... i really dont know:/ any of those good ideas? got any other ideas?
About 2 hours a week from November to easter, culminating with a Monster powered all-nighter just before the holidays to hand in the final piece and finis the reflective writing. Then about a week to put together my presentation in the week after the holidays. 5000 words over a term really isn't a massive time commitment.

Woah, 6 months??!

Can anyone give me a realistic idea on timings and stuff? :frown: Is it something which can be easily done alongside my other 3 A levels or is it something I need to put tonnes of effort in?

Also, is it possible to do without lessons? Don't think my school is giving lessons even...or rather, it's February and we've just received the first sheet we need to fill in.
Woah, 6 months??!

Can anyone give me a realistic idea on timings and stuff? :frown: Is it something which can be easily done alongside my other 3 A levels or is it something I need to put tonnes of effort in?

Also, is it possible to do without lessons? Don't think my school is giving lessons even...or rather, it's February and we've just received the first sheet we need to fill in.

OK, I'll try to be more helpful.

I basically put next to no effort into the EPQ for the first few months (the justification for our starting early was that it allowed the whole thing to be completely done by easter, allowing us to concentrate fully on revision.) A session consisted of me turning up, reading journals online for a bit, then leaving. So if you can get on it now and get into a good rhythm, then time shouldn't be an issue. We didn't have "lessons" per se, there were just slots on Wednesday afternoons when we could use a particular classroom to work, and have a tutor available to offer advice on research methods, etc. For the first few months, I literally did NOTHING beyond these sessions. It in no way affected my other subjects, as I didn't do school work on Weds afternoons anyway.

How much time you need to put in is a question that only you can answer, once you have an idea of what you need to find out and how you want to present it.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending