The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Is one exam board better than the other?
Reply 141
Our school started the EPQ from January and we're submitting it in November - it's a bit weird, I'd already done a project on the history of my school (it's 131 years old so there's a fair bit of it, and I'm weird like that and find it fascinating), so school suggested I may as well finish off what I'd started and make it official with an EPQ.

So anyway, basically the reason our school registered for the EPQ pilot was because I'd already done quite a bit towards it and they thought I may as well get a qualification out of the research I'd done... so my project involves producing a history of my school and getting it published.

But the more I hear about the EPQ, everyone seems to do something related to what university course they want to do... and I want to do physics! I just find the history of my school fascinating and wanted to give back in some way through this project. Now I'm wondering if I should have just chosen something sciencey to back up my university application - although I know there's no point in crying over spilt milk, and I've practically finished it now.

But in terms of the Personal Statement and interviews, what can I salvage from my EPQ? I'm going to be applying to Cambridge and they're really in favour of the EPQ as proof of commitment to the course, but mine has nothing to do with physics! It's still a good thing to have done though.... right?
I doing an evening of French and Spanish music with talks relating to music/history.
that is the plan anyway.
Reply 143
fishpie57
Our school started the EPQ from January and we're submitting it in November - it's a bit weird, I'd already done a project on the history of my school (it's 131 years old so there's a fair bit of it, and I'm weird like that and find it fascinating), so school suggested I may as well finish off what I'd started and make it official with an EPQ.

So anyway, basically the reason our school registered for the EPQ pilot was because I'd already done quite a bit towards it and they thought I may as well get a qualification out of the research I'd done... so my project involves producing a history of my school and getting it published.

But the more I hear about the EPQ, everyone seems to do something related to what university course they want to do... and I want to do physics! I just find the history of my school fascinating and wanted to give back in some way through this project. Now I'm wondering if I should have just chosen something sciencey to back up my university application - although I know there's no point in crying over spilt milk, and I've practically finished it now.

But in terms of the Personal Statement and interviews, what can I salvage from my EPQ? I'm going to be applying to Cambridge and they're really in favour of the EPQ as proof of commitment to the course, but mine has nothing to do with physics! It's still a good thing to have done though.... right?

You need not worry, just talk about the research skills and independence you've attained from doing the project. That's pretty much what universities like about it :yep:
Reply 144
Adam92
You need not worry, just talk about the research skills and independence you've attained from doing the project. That's pretty much what universities like about it :yep:

Okey dokey, that's what I was planning on doing, I just worried that the content of my project might put them off... still, that's the great thing about the EPQ, it puts academic and extra-curricular together seamlessly!

So I'm not ruining my life after all... Thanks for the reassurance! :biggrin:
Reply 145
What did everyone get for their EPQ?
Hartemop

I got an A for mine, one mark from an A* :mad: :p:
Reply 147
michaelyus
I got an A for mine, one mark from an A* :mad: :p:

Well done mate, everyone at my school cocked up and the highest grade was a B.:sadnod: I got a D...
Reply 148
Hartemop
Full marks A* :biggrin:

I don't think i've posted in here before..?
Reply 149
Mrcarrot
Full marks A* :biggrin:

I don't think i've posted in here before..?

Well done :yep:

Any advice for us current EPQers?
Reply 150
Adam92
Well done :yep:

Any advice for us current EPQers?

Erm... Make sure you do loads of source analysis in your footnotes, do your activity log as you go along and prepare for your oral presentation more than making it the day before? These things will make getting a high grade much easier :p:
Reply 151
Hi,

I've just left year 11 this summer (results on Thursday! :s-smilie:) and my school has agreed to let my friend and I do the EPQ. I know it's early, but I like to be really ahead of things so I'm just trying to think of a topic to do mine on.

At first I was thinking about doing something on the molecular biology of cancer but then my Dad, who works for a medical technology company, told me about a cutting edge surgical technique called NOTES (Natural Orifice Translumenal Endoscopic Surgery), where one of the body's natural orifices is used to get inside the body and make an internal incision to perform surgery through, leaving the patient with no external scarring. There is a lot to talk about, and I'll be applying to study medicine at University, with surgery being a specialty I might go into, so I thought perhaps I should go for this option. I do think that the molecular biology of cancer sounds really interesting though (I know - I'm a right nerd! :P) and still can't decide between the two.

What do you guys think?
Reply 152
danjm08
Hi,

I've just left year 11 this summer (results on Thursday! :s-smilie:) and my school has agreed to let my friend and I do the EPQ. I know it's early, but I like to be really ahead of things so I'm just trying to think of a topic to do mine on.

At first I was thinking about doing something on the molecular biology of cancer but then my Dad, who works for a medical technology company, told me about a cutting edge surgical technique called NOTES (Natural Orifice Translumenal Endoscopic Surgery), where one of the body's natural orifices is used to get inside the body and make an internal incision to perform surgery through, leaving the patient with no external scarring. There is a lot to talk about, and I'll be applying to study medicine at University, with surgery being a specialty I might go into, so I thought perhaps I should go for this option. I do think that the molecular biology of cancer sounds really interesting though (I know - I'm a right nerd! :P) and still can't decide between the two.

What do you guys think?
Try not to do your essay on anything too specific, as it will soon become obvious how woefully inadequate your local and school libraries are, unless you have access to loads of scientific journals and a fantastic university-level library somehow. We had access to those facilities because we got to use Rugby School's ridiculous resources, but my own school's library and the local libraries were all awful.
Reply 153
I'm about to start my EPQ when I return back to college but I'm still undecided on an exact area/topic. I want to do it on behavioral economics as I'm really interested in that topic and my teachers have suggested to do something on the housing market but I'm unsure on how to approach it from a behavioral economics point of view so I was wondering if anybody could help me it.

If anyone has any other areas instead of the housing market where I can write about behavioral economics and get a lot of research that would help a lot. Thanks :smile:
I'm not far off finishing my EPQ and I've got a few questions:

Does the presentation at the end have to be about your chosen topic, or the process of developing the project?

I don't think I've done much analysis on the sources even though I know they're at least fairly reliable. Should I make another document in which to analyse them all?

I'm doing a written essay. Does it need to be 5000 or 6000 words long?

Will they mind if it's a bit over the word limit (e.g. 5200 words)?

Reply 155
gustman
I'm about to start my EPQ when I return back to college but I'm still undecided on an exact area/topic. I want to do it on behavioral economics as I'm really interested in that topic and my teachers have suggested to do something on the housing market but I'm unsure on how to approach it from a behavioral economics point of view so I was wondering if anybody could help me it.

If anyone has any other areas instead of the housing market where I can write about behavioral economics and get a lot of research that would help a lot. Thanks :smile:

You could do about the role of behavioural economics in regards to house prices?

"To what extent does consumer's irrationality impact upon house prices?"

I think that will be a very good topic :smile:
Reply 156
OL1V3R
I'm not far off finishing my EPQ and I've got a few questions:

Does the presentation at the end have to be about your chosen topic, or the process of developing the project?

I don't think I've done much analysis on the sources even though I know they're at least fairly reliable. Should I make another document in which to analyse them all?

I'm doing a written essay. Does it need to be 5000 or 6000 words long?

Will they mind if it's a bit over the word limit (e.g. 5200 words)?

1. Topic
2. I don't know, but I've done that...
3 and 4. AQA say around 5,000 (so I suppose 5,200 will be okay) and Edexcel say between 5,000 - 6,000
Reply 157
danjm08
Hi,

What do you guys think?

Try googling each topic to see if you can find some books, journals, websites or other sources you could potentially use. I have no idea about medicine or biology so I can't help you on that I'm afraid!
danjm08
Hi,

What do you guys think?

Didn't your school already offer it? Don't think mine does so I'm planning some serious begging when I go back :P
Reply 159
Didn't your school already offer it? Don't think mine does so I'm planning some serious begging when I go back :P

Nope, my friend introduced me to it and we asked the head of sixth form who was up for it, and we have asked our biology teacher from year 11 to be our supervisor, he was up for it as well (y). But yeh, my school seemed quite open to the idea, I think they might ask other students to do it as well :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending