The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by SteveCrain
but have you put in an application saying you want to do one?

we have to do it at our school because were doing the aqa baccalaureate.
all i know about it is that it has to be around 5000 words and that you get quite a few ucas points for it, i think an A is 70 points
Reply 1581
Original post by anyone_can_fly
OP: You realise that TSR isn't a very representative view of the country? I'm sure people have done official polls on this.

I am welll aware of this and I have used some official polls in my research but I also need primary research to get more marks in my project and I thought this would be a good place top put a poll so I could get an idea of how the student demographic feels towards CP.

Thanks for the concern though.
Original post by Limesasquatch
yes because some people do get off to easy, such as multiple murder.
but then they only are punished until they die, and then their dead and cant feel regret or guilt.

if they were kept alive they could be punished in their life, except for the fact they now get TV and PS3s and pool tables etc.

Except... not all criminals get PS3s, TVs or Pool Tables. You really, really should learn more about prisoner good behaviour incentivisation before spouting nonsense.
Reply 1583
Hi everyone :smile:

Basically, I am an AS First Year student at college, and am considering doing the EPQ next year. But I do not have a clue what to do my project on and I'm really really stuck... :frown:

Would anyone be able to help me out and give me some ideas to help me get started?

I do Photography, Film Studies, English Literature and Italian (all at AS level), and am considering doing a joint degree at university in either Italian+English or Italian+Film.

I will love you forever.
Thank you!!
Reply 1584
Original post by lanttans
Hi everyone :smile:

Basically, I am an AS First Year student at college, and am considering doing the EPQ next year. But I do not have a clue what to do my project on and I'm really really stuck... :frown:

Would anyone be able to help me out and give me some ideas to help me get started?

I do Photography, Film Studies, English Literature and Italian (all at AS level), and am considering doing a joint degree at university in either Italian+English or Italian+Film.

I will love you forever.
Thank you!!

Someone I know who enjoyed photography made a book and published it with his photographs in them - if you like film you could do something similiar, or maybe make a short film?

Anyone know if you can do EPQ when you've left college? I am probably going to be taking a gap year, and I'd like to do the EPQ during my gap year - just for something to do so I don't stop studying.
EPQ Essay + production log due in tomorrow for me.
Presentations starting next week!
Reply 1586
Mine has to be in next week! Scary. Can it have pictures and stuff in or literally just an essay?
Reply 1587
hi guys :smile: I'm starting my EPQ this thursday (as in, my first supervisor session) but I'm still undecided on what to do! I know I want to do the extended 5000 word essay and do it on an English Literature related topic because that's what I want to do at uni, but does anyone know if I'm able to do a creative writing piece? or does it have to be critical? alternatively, has anyone done an English EPQ essay that they really loved doing and has any ideas? thank yoooou! xxx
Reply 1588
My presentation is on Monday the 4th of April. My Essay and log are also due in on that day. I've yet to start my EPQ. But I've always felt I work best when working under immense pressure, let us hope that I'm right :smile:.
My deadline isn't until May 10th :smile: I'm about 4,200 words in now, the moment I finish it will be heaven!
Original post by lily92
Mine has to be in next week! Scary. Can it have pictures and stuff in or literally just an essay?

I've put pictures in mine! If you're unsure though just put it in your appendices and make references to your appendices when you want to insert a picture :smile: but pictures should be fine I assume, so long as it's a good length in words too!
Reply 1591
Original post by kitts94
hi guys :smile: I'm starting my EPQ this thursday (as in, my first supervisor session) but I'm still undecided on what to do! I know I want to do the extended 5000 word essay and do it on an English Literature related topic because that's what I want to do at uni, but does anyone know if I'm able to do a creative writing piece? or does it have to be critical? alternatively, has anyone done an English EPQ essay that they really loved doing and has any ideas? thank yoooou! xxx

You can definately do a creative writing piece - its a PROJECT after all :smile: I know people who want to do Chemistry who have been in the labs synthesising compounds so yes you can do creative writing :smile:
Reply 1592
Original post by twelve
You can definately do a creative writing piece - its a PROJECT after all :smile: I know people who want to do Chemistry who have been in the labs synthesising compounds so yes you can do creative writing :smile:

ooooh that is really really good news! thank you!
Reply 1593
Original post by twelve
Someone I know who enjoyed photography made a book and published it with his photographs in them - if you like film you could do something similiar, or maybe make a short film?

Anyone know if you can do EPQ when you've left college? I am probably going to be taking a gap year, and I'd like to do the EPQ during my gap year - just for something to do so I don't stop studying.

I like that idea, but I'm still undecided as to whether to do the Italian degree with Film or English at uni. Would it be possible, d'you think, to maybe do something along the lines of how English Literature of the past has been adapted into a film version? And then I'd be covering both?
Reply 1594
Original post by lanttans
I like that idea, but I'm still undecided as to whether to do the Italian degree with Film or English at uni. Would it be possible, d'you think, to maybe do something along the lines of how English Literature of the past has been adapted into a film version? And then I'd be covering both?

Yeah I'm sure it would be - I don't honestly know a lot about the EPQ, I'm just passing on what I know other people have done.

As far as I know though, you can pretty much do whatever you want!
Reply 1595
HELLOOO.
I need some advice please if anyone can help me.. what has anyone done in terms of a project weekly plan?
My supervisor is useless. My project is about the age of criminal responsibility and my supervisor said 'I typed 'Law' in on Google to look for some research for you'. One, you're not allowed to help me and two, she needs to be waaay more specific.

Oh, and she keeps asking me about my failed Cambridge interview, she keeps bringing it back up two months from trying to forget about it :/
Original post by *BB*
HELLOOO.
I need some advice please if anyone can help me.. what has anyone done in terms of a project weekly plan?
My supervisor is useless. My project is about the age of criminal responsibility and my supervisor said 'I typed 'Law' in on Google to look for some research for you'. One, you're not allowed to help me and two, she needs to be waaay more specific.

Oh, and she keeps asking me about my failed Cambridge interview, she keeps bringing it back up two months from trying to forget about it :/

Your research should be guided by YOU.
Your supervisor is to guide - whether she does more or not is her fault, not yours. It is YOUR project.

You cannot simply have your title as "A report into the age of criminal responsibility". You need a much more specifici, question, that can be addressed.

My suggestion would be to think of a specific question about this topic.
When you have a question, jot down areas that you *could* research.
Start by googling these topics, or themes, and check if there is enough research.
If not, then don't worry - alter the question and try again. Check library resources, too.

My weekly project plan consisted of a table (it was actually fornightly, though):
Date| Achievements to date| Proposed Action| Time Allocated| Reason for proposed action and objective relevancy

So basically, I entered the date, put what I had achieved from the last proposed action, my proposed action for the next fortnight, the time I was giving to it, and then how this helped to meet my objective.

Example:

04/08/2009 - Printed production log - Begin draft - 10 hours - Because...
- Met with supervisor

I hope this helps.
Reply 1597
Original post by Kinesthetic
Your research should be guided by YOU.
Your supervisor is to guide - whether she does more or not is her fault, not yours. It is YOUR project.

You cannot simply have your title as "A report into the age of criminal responsibility". You need a much more specifici, question, that can be addressed.

My suggestion would be to think of a specific question about this topic.
When you have a question, jot down areas that you *could* research.
Start by googling these topics, or themes, and check if there is enough research.
If not, then don't worry - alter the question and try again. Check library resources, too.

My weekly project plan consisted of a table (it was actually fornightly, though):
Date| Achievements to date| Proposed Action| Time Allocated| Reason for proposed action and objective relevancy

So basically, I entered the date, put what I had achieved from the last proposed action, my proposed action for the next fortnight, the time I was giving to it, and then how this helped to meet my objective.

Example:

04/08/2009 - Printed production log - Begin draft - 10 hours - Because...
- Met with supervisor

I hope this helps.

Hello,
Thank you for your advice - huge help!
Firstly, my research was all done by me which adds to the bewilderment of her doing that anyway :rolleyes:. My title is specific, I was just giving everyone an idea about my topic :smile: It is 'Should the age of criminal responsibility be altered in modern day Britain?'

Thank you for the advice on the plan :smile: rep.
Reply 1598
On the AQA website, it says the report must be a minimum of 5000 words, does this mean a fail if it is less than that?
Original post by *BB*
Hello,
Thank you for your advice - huge help!
Firstly, my research was all done by me which adds to the bewilderment of her doing that anyway :rolleyes:. My title is specific, I was just giving everyone an idea about my topic :smile: It is 'Should the age of criminal responsibility be altered in modern day Britain?'

Thank you for the advice on the plan :smile: rep.

Hey again,

Now that I know your question, it is fairly straight forward.

Tackle it as half and half - making sure you're drawing conclusions, linking concepts, discussing sources etc. Yours is a tad different to mine, as mine was a "to what extent..." so I had to consider the areas of change. For yours, you can simply do reasons for and reasons against, but going into much more detail than a normal essay.

Remember the structure if a written report, quote me if you need advice on how to format/structure it.

You need to critically analyse your sources in a research review, or a literature review (as a discussion), to gain high marks - as well as referencing them, and making an argument/s with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending