The Student Room Group

TSR Moderation team changes discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey Vlad :woo:
Original post by mr tim
Welcome back Vlad.

So when are those new mods, the D&CA I think, which had positions available going to be announced?

Sooooooon. Patience, my friend! :smile:
Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm still not sure it's fair/appropriate to re-appoint mods who have voluntarily stepped down. There are plenty of other possible candidates who would love a chance at modding and, if you're trying to dispel a notion of cliqueyness, then this is definitely the wrong way of doing it.

My £0.02.
Original post by ch0llima
Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm still not sure it's fair/appropriate to re-appoint mods who have voluntarily stepped down. There are plenty of other possible candidates who would love a chance at modding and, if you're trying to dispel a notion of cliqueyness, then this is definitely the wrong way of doing it.

My £0.02.
*cough* mr tim *cough*
Reply 3604
Original post by PoGo HoPz
*cough* mr tim *cough*

not for the D&CA mod though...
Welcome back! :biggrin:

My £0.02.

What if the re-appointment is the best appointment? I've applied for D&CA again as I can now reinvest time into this site. When I voluntarily stepped down, I did so, so as not to hinder TSR by being deadwood. Despite being apt with modding (Vlad more so than me) , what is the problem with me coming back? It's not a 'chance' at modding, it's who can do it the best (not at all suggesting I'm better than any of the other 'candidates.'

----------
Anyhoo, it's really good to see you back on the team Vlad. :smile:
Good to have you back Vlad :h:

Original post by mr tim
Welcome back Vlad.

So when are those new mods, the D&CA I think, which had positions available going to be announced?

Next few days hopefully.

My £0.02.

But on the other hand he's not a medical student. Doesn't that make you even slightly happy? :wink:
Original post by Champagne Supernova
What if the re-appointment is the best appointment? I've applied for D&CA again as I can now reinvest time into this site. When I voluntarily stepped down, I did so, so as not to hinder TSR by being deadwood. Despite being apt with modding (Vlad more so than me) , what is the problem with me coming back? It's not a 'chance' at modding, it's who can do it the best (not at all suggesting I'm better than any of the other 'candidates.'

----------
Anyhoo, it's really good to see you back on the team Vlad. :smile:

While I think that Vlad will/did do a great job, I agree with the point made - but I don't have any problems when there was been a post for mods, people apply (including ex-mods), and am ex-mod is chosen as they are the best person; just if/when it seems they are reappointed without others at least having a chance to run as there may be someone who might be better for the job; due to more free time or other such reasons.

Sorry this comes at the time you are reappointed Vlad - it is just the point was raised now - so congratulations to you :h:
(edited 11 years ago)

My £0.02.

What's important is surely that the best person for the position is recruited. When a mod's activity drops due to real life circumstances (sometimes temporary ones like moving house or job) there is the personal choice either to hang on, not contribute and hope no-one notices, or to step down and let someone else have a go. Choosing the latter is surely the better option for the site, but should not preclude them from ever re-joining the team if they're in a position to commit the time necessary to carry out the role and are judged to be the best candidate. It is made very clear when a mod does stand down that there are no guarantees that they will ever be able to re-join the team. It's also worth saying that for a supermod role, previous mod experience is more or less a pre-requisite because of the nature of the role, so isn't advertised to normal users for nominations.
Original post by rmhumphries
While I think that Vlad will/did do a great job, I agree with the point made - but I don't have any problems when there was been a post for mods, people apply (including ex-mods), and am ex-mod is chosen as they are the best person; just if/when it seems they are reappointed without others at least having a chance to run as there may be someone who might be better for the job; due to more free time or other such reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see the wrong person for the job, of course not! From previous experience though, a lot is taken into consideration before mods are appointed and occasionally that may see an ex-mod rejoin the team.

Essentially, I think it's equally unfair to completely rule out mods who have stepped down (for whatever reason previously) as much as ch0llima thinks it's unfair to re-appoint them at all. :holmes:
humphries for mod :adore:
Wtf is this, a rep orgy or something? :sexface:
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see the wrong person for the job, of course not! From previous experience though, a lot is taken into consideration before mods are appointed and occasionally that may see an ex-mod rejoin the team.

Essentially, I think it's equally unfair to completely rule out mods who have stepped down (for whatever reason previously) as much as ch0llima thinks it's unfair to re-appoint them at all. :holmes:

Wasn't saying you did, just expanding(/quoted) on what you said as I agreed with it :smile:

Original post by Crazy Paving
humphries for mod :adore:

I was considered at one point, but they decided that all the mods would be jealous of my beard :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3614
Credentials and other things are taken into consideration regarding Mods
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Another avatar matching colour change is due then, Vlad. :beard:

No, the turquoise looks dreadful as a background - I'll be maintaining the black flocked pattern.

Original post by PoGo HoPz
Are you Mad, Vlad?! :zomg:

Certifiable.

My £0.02.

I think this is a valid concern and something that I will definitely consider, however I do want to reiterate some of the clarifications and justifications that have been made. We only recruit supermods who have experience as area moderators, so this particular position would not have been open to nominations.

As F1 fanatic says, it is quite common for mods to leave due to personal circumstances which are temporary, but extended enough in duration such that neither they nor we can justify them staying on the team. It's not fair to have mods on the team who are not contributing. Occasionally their personal situation may change and they may find they are able to commit to the role again, however we do make it very clear when mods leave that there is no guarantee that they will be able to come back, and we would only re-recruit a mod if there is a space on the team (I have turned people down on this basis) and they are the best person for the job.

As others have said, I don't think there is or should be an issue with welcoming back ex-mods who are able to commit to the role and who are suitable for the role but I totally agree that new members should have as much of a chance to be a part of the team. I do appreciate how it may seem unfair to other members, particularly on the few occasions where we have not run nominations and opened the position up to all members. I think in future we could consider ensuring that in such situations we run nominations as normal and open up the position to the wider membership.

I would say in general though that there are plenty of opportunities for new members to join our team and we would never give preference to an ex-mod over someone new - the decision is purely based on who we believe is the best person for the role.
Goodbye ~ Purple Rose ~! :moon:
Good luck for the future Purple Rose :smile:
Reply 3619
Bye Purple Rose and good luck for the future!

Quick Reply