The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It's basically a collection of all your certificates, case based discussions, mini-cex's, DOPs, publications, audits, theses, projects, presentations, reflective writing on practice, teching feedback and assessment and such other crap which you need to get a job

edit: as an undergrad the best way to add to it is to periodically reflect on significant events in your med school career, and write a few paragraphs on it (paying particular attention to answering questions from the foundation application form). Get involved in teaching the 3rd years, and get feedback forms from the students (plus thank you letters from staff if possible). Collect any certificates, eg from BMJ learning or BLS/ILS/ATLS courses etc
Reply 2
i found it much easier to get over the pain of portfolio by doing a reflective piece after each GP or hospital visit. That way it is still fresh in your mind and easier to fill up a page or two.
There are some nonsense items in portfolio though, and some people will rock up for review with a full lever arch file, and others with not so much.
IMO it's better to have a portfolio that is relevant and concise than sprawling and full of useless items e.g. handouts from GP visits and other paraphernalia
Reply 3
My portfolio consists of:

CV
Educational contracts, appraisals etc
Reflective practice (only have 1 report - been pulled up for not having more at an interview, but what can I say... I'm a lazy ****... I'll maybe do another one sometime over the next couple of years)
Certificates
DOPS, CBDs, CEX, PAT
Sign offs to say I'm not a complete disaster
Appendices (Stuff I've done: presentations, dissertations, case reports, audits, ethics committee applications, teaching feedback, anonymised letters from patients etc... this all takes up most of my portfolio)

It's basically backup for your CV and proof you're not a complete disaster all in one place.

Edit: stuff you can do now... reflective practice, save random certificates, get involved in an audit, do a case report. Don't worry too much though, I have 2-3 things from my undergrad days in my portfolio and it's bursting out of a lever arch file. I'll prolly have to start a new one every couple of years, they're not THAT hard to fill up if you just save evidence of the normal things you do anyway.
Reply 4
I've been trying to keep a hard copy portfolio.

Most is for myself, other stuff is random on the off chance it might be useful, but so far I have:

CV
Copies of my papers
Verification of teaching experience
Random certificates (as Touche puts it :smile: ), I have a few from courses I did on one of my outfirms last year, where we were actually encouraged to go to staff training stuff! Prize certificates etc.
Not so random certificates (Bsc, D.Phil)
Print offs from Web CT with exam results on (including position within cohort)
Copies of assessment forms from all my firms (years 3 and 4)
CPD certificates from any of the meetings I attend (usually RSM ones)
A list of competencies I have actually met
Some reflection, although not a lot!

I also have:

Notes of all the wierd and wonderful shizzle I've stumbled across (I think I intended to reflect upon them, and this was when I was a keen-o third year, and not a busy welfare officer/4th year!!!)
Any marked written work from med school, with feedback etc.
Full copies of all my log books (largely due to student office issues, but I'm sure they might come in handy until we get some post-grad experience!
as touche says its like an evidence folder. make sure to keep copies of thank yous as well. keep a log of procedures (decent ones that is) course certificates and publications. material YOU have used for teaching and any feedback forms.

its not that big a deal. just dont leave it all to may...

Latest

Trending

Trending