The Student Room Group
Reply 1
nope

most unis require AS biology minimum but dont of any uni without bio
Reply 2
I've got two offers without any biology past GCSE science double award.
I got 4 offers without A2 Biology (but I do have an AS). Your friend could consider studying AS Biology as an extra to increase the number of places they can apply to?
Reply 4
Yeah I think without AS it pretty much halves the number of unis you can apply to.
Reply 5
errr i have a friend who got into glasgow, manchester and possibly aberdeen without biology
Reply 6
yoyozone
errr i have a friend who got into glasgow, manchester and possibly aberdeen without biology

Which did they choose, out of interest?
Reply 7
Suspect
Which did they choose, out of interest?

glasgow :smile:
Reply 8
For most places I think you would need to have biology at AS.I know that this is the case for UCL,KCL,SGUL but not QMUL..(I was phoning around this morning,for the exact same reason)
A friend of mine applied during when he was studying AS biology, he applied for and chose Cambrdige, but to be honest, his academic record is pretty intense. He got

7A*, 2A's, both being in the English subjects at GCSE

At AS he got all A's, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and History

At A2, he got all A's, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, History and he did AS Bio which he got an A in too
Reply 10
generally unis say that without biology you will struggle more than most in the first year. Oxford, to give an example, say it is unlikely that you will get in without it.

of course some people manage it, but i would imagine that it would put you at a disadvantage.
Peninsula only state that you need one science and it dosent have to be chemistry or biology

but this science needs to be to a grade A at A2
Reply 12
yoyozone
glasgow :smile:

Good choice, it seemed fantastic when I visited.
It nearly killed me having to choose between there and manchester :smile:
nexttime
generally unis say that without biology you will struggle more than most in the first year. Oxford, to give an example, say it is unlikely that you will get in without it.

of course some people manage it, but i would imagine that it would put you at a disadvantage.

the oxford admissions tutor and website stress that A2, or even AS, biology is definitely not a requirement and nor will it give any advantage... they might ask you some bio questions in the interview but reading some medicine/biology-orientated books should be enough for this, apparently. Their admissions tutor certainly impressed upon me the fact that they really, really don't need you to have done biology at A-level!

Not that many people get in without it because only 5% people don't have A2 biology!, so obviously the vast majority of applicants will have at least AS biology, but if it's not in their admissions criteria they can't discard your application because you haven't studied the subject.
Reply 14
angelmxxx
the oxford admissions tutor and website stress that A2, or even AS, biology is definitely not a requirement and nor will it give any advantage... they might ask you some bio questions in the interview but reading some medicine/biology-orientated books should be enough for this, apparently. Their admissions tutor certainly impressed upon me the fact that they really, really don't need you to have done biology at A-level!

Not that many people get in without it because only 5% people don't have A2 biology!, so obviously the vast majority of applicants will have at least AS biology, but if it's not in their admissions criteria they can't discard your application because you haven't studied the subject.

k, i misread the source slightly, but it does talk about biology up to AS

"Note that despite the fact that many people take it, Biology is NOT required at A2 level (or indeed at AS level). However, do be aware that not having A level Biology is associated with a greater risk of having difficulty at the early stages of the course (and other medical courses), and that it is rare for students without Biology at AS level to gain a place on the course."

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/courses/preclin/applying/assessingchances
Oh I hadn't read that last line :s-smilie: .. my teachers told me I'd be fine applying without it. Hmm looks like i'm applying to scottish med schools then!

Latest

Trending

Trending