The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You need 2 science subjects minimum. They say it is highly desirable that you have a third, but you don't need a third. They let me in to do maths without an A-level in "highly desirable" Further Maths. If you've only done three subjects at A-level, it is quite understandable that you only have 2 sciences. If you're doing bionatsci, then you have the two a-levels that you really need- there is an elementary mathematics for biologists course to bring you up to speed.
Reply 21
Just read the university prospectus...

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/natsci/requirements.html

Given that they offer a course in Part 1A specifically designed for students who do not have Mathematics A-Level, I doubt that is a problem.

11. Elementary Mathematics for Biologists (for students who do not have A level Mathematics)
Essential: GCSE Mathematics
This course covers applications of basic mathematical and statistical techniques in the context of biology, and is problem-based. In addition to standard techniques, students will be introduced to the principles of modelling biological systems and experimental design. The course fulfils the requirements for a mathematical qualification in Part IA of the NST, but does not provide a qualification to read Mathematics in Part IB.
Reply 22
rebelliousjade
I have heard of people reapplying, and even getting in while at another university. Perhaps I shouldn't have confused the question, I'm really asking about if two sciences are good enough. Thanks AG.

hi rebelliousjade. I'm actually in a similar position to you and want to apply for the same course. I didn't apply to Oxbridge this UCAS cycle but since I've decided to take a gap year anyway I'm going to apply later this year for 09 entry. I'm just wondering, wouldn't it be better to just apply during a gap year? If you do get into Cambridge, wouldn't you have to drop out of the uni you're going to this Oct quite soon after you've just enrolled? Would that not be too much hassle?

you should just email each cambridge college about the two sciences problem. I did that for a different matter and each college all gave me different opinions.

Latest

Trending

Trending