The Student Room Group

Celtic F.C

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ritter
If you don't understand what I'm saying then you're thick as ****. But that's already evident as you're on OF "fan". Just because your family support a certain team, doesn't mean you can't support your local.

You've missed the point. No surprise there. Your final line sums OF fans up. Needless, deflective ****e. Maybe if more people supported their local team there would be demand for an Airdrie thread.

"I started supporting Celtic in the 90s when they were ****e" is a terrible way of deflecting the fact that you're a glory hunter.

But Rangers are my local team..

EDIT: What you were saying had no substance or significance to it whatsoever.
While I can understand the annoyance at the lack of fans of smaller, local clubs, it's pointless to get upset with the supporters of the only two successful clubs in Scottish football today. Not only that, but Rangers and Celtic are allowed to have a fanbase beyond their local Glaswegian base, given their importance as icons of either Irish independence or Protestant Unionism.
Reply 4842
Original post by FrigidSymphony
While I can understand the annoyance at the lack of fans of smaller, local clubs, it's pointless to get upset with the supporters of the only two successful clubs in Scottish football today. Not only that, but Rangers and Celtic are allowed to have a fanbase beyond their local Glaswegian base, given their importance as icons of either Irish independence or Protestant Unionism.

That's absolute tosh.
Original post by Ritter
That's absolute tosh.

Bull****. People from all over the celtic cultural areas identify with Celtic FC because of their Irish heritage and association with the fight for independence. And at the same time, everyone hates Rangers because their Unionist bigots and can feck off.
Reply 4844
Bull****. People from all over the celtic cultural areas identify with Celtic FC because of their Irish heritage and association with the fight for independence. And at the same time, everyone hates Rangers because their Unionist bigots and can feck off.

No surprise you, from Aberdeen, are biased towards Celtic and anti-Rangers. What you originally said is correct in the sense that it does happen. Although, it's a pish reason to support a football team. Religion, politics etc etc should have no place in football. These ***** from Glasgow insist it should.
Original post by Ritter
No surprise you, from Aberdeen, are biased towards Celtic and anti-Rangers. What you originally said is correct in the sense that it does happen. Although, it's a pish reason to support a football team. Religion, politics etc etc should have no place in football. These ***** from Glasgow insist it should.

Part of history, tradition, culture... It makes for more exciting games, I don't have a problem with it.
Original post by Ritter
Gloryhunters club. Just like Rangers, Man U and Liverpool. It must be **** to support a team like Celtic, when you have no connections with the local area, and simply support a club based on constant success, in a **** league, in a **** footballing country. I take much more pride and joy in supporting my local club, Airdrie United.

FTR, my team may be ****ing **** (they're still MY team), but look at the OF...getting in horsed in Europe off absolute diddies. Utrecht :biggrin:

Bigoted scum. Proud to support my local team. No doubt this will get some pathetic reply from a fickle gloryhunter.

Ritter - Proud supporter of Airdrie United Football Club. Diamond forever <>

I live <5 miles from Celtic Park. To say they weren't local to me you'd have to be a ****. And that is what you are.

And don't think I can see that you are trying to get some attention. Must be hard to be a fan of that club when nobody else is. Clydebank SC no.1
Anybody else appalled by the amount of prejudice coming from those outside Glasgow towards Glaswegians, it's ****ing shocking.
I think the Airdrie Clydebank Airdrie United fan is just gutted his team have the hun traditions without the hun fanbase.

Pierre Van Hooijdonk CSC.
Reply 4849

Belfast up until just after the second world war had a Celtic team that was on par with Glasgow Celtic. When that died the fans gave their support to their Glasgow cousins and passed it down. Irish indepdendence isnt a reason for supporting a football team, not for me.
I wish I could have posted that pic. Everything I have said about your club is instantly justified. Although the pic is at least 9 years old, going by the name on the Flag :lol:

But bigotry, eh? Obviously just an 'Old Firm' problem.
Original post by Jim-ie
Belfast up until just after the second world war had a Celtic team that was on par with Glasgow Celtic. When that died the fans gave their support to their Glasgow cousins and passed it down. Irish indepdendence isnt a reason for supporting a football team, not for me.

Although Celtic have a strong tie to Irish independence (first sod of turf laid by a previously-on-the-run Republican), it was always about the Irish cultural link, not political. Then the 70s happened.
Reply 4852
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
I wish I could have posted that pic. Everything I have said about your club is instantly justified. Although the pic is at least 9 years old, going by the name on the Flag :lol:

But bigotry, eh? Obviously just an 'Old Firm' problem.

I'd dare you to go into that bar and slag off Airdrie or any other "diddy" team. The sellick fans certainly didn't give it large when Airdrie came to town. They certainly didn't give it large in Airdrie town centre either.

That pic was taken in 1999.
Original post by Ritter
I'd dare you to go into that bar and slag off Airdrie or any other "diddy" team. The sellick fans certainly didn't give it large when Airdrie came to town. They certainly didn't give it large in Airdrie town centre either.

That pic was taken in 1999.

What an achievement, there is a bar where criticism from opposing fans isn't taken too kindly. The same could be said of slagging off Celtic in the Brazen Head, or Rangers in the Louden, ffs. You're not unique.

Revel in the violent bigotry of your Section B, but the truth is most clubs in the country have a rag-tag band of casuals attached to them. The difference is, most normal fans shun them as a disgrace.
Reply 4854
What an achievement, there is a bar where criticism from opposing fans isn't taken too kindly. The same could be said of slagging off Celtic in the Brazen Head, or Rangers in the Louden, ffs. You're not unique.

Revel in the violent bigotry of your Section B, but the truth is most clubs in the country have a rag-tag band of casuals attached to them. The difference is, most normal fans shun them as a disgrace.

Exactly.

Celtic seem to be proud of their bigoted, anti-British, sectarian characteristics.

Horrible club.
Original post by Ritter
Exactly.

Celtic seem to be proud of their bigoted, anti-British, sectarian characteristics.

Horrible club.

If you mean Celtic the club, then:

Celtic Football Club is a Scottish football club with proud Irish links. The primary business of Celtic is as a football club. It is run on a professional business basis with no political agenda. However, the Club has a wider role and the responsibility of being a major Scottish social institution promoting health, well-being and social integration.

That's pretty unequivocal, from its Social Mission Statement.

If you mean the fans, that is for a far more detailed discussion than most of you seem to have the time and desire to understand that is necessary. Suffice it to say that being anti-British is not the same as being Republican. Nor is a political stance bigoted or sectarian (where sectarianism is used to describe, as it usually is, religious prejudice. Political sectarianism is a term used to describe conflict between two strands of the same ideology fwiw).
Reply 4856
If you mean Celtic the club, then:

Celtic Football Club is a Scottish football club with proud Irish links. The primary business of Celtic is as a football club. It is run on a professional business basis with no political agenda. However, the Club has a wider role and the responsibility of being a major Scottish social institution promoting health, well-being and social integration.

That's pretty unequivocal, from its Social Mission Statement.

If you mean the fans, that is for a far more detailed discussion than most of you seem to have the time and desire to understand that is necessary. Suffice it to say that being anti-British is not the same as being Republican. Nor is a political stance bigoted or sectarian (where sectarianism is used to describe, as it usually is, religious prejudice. Political sectarianism is a term used to describe conflict between two strands of the same ideology fwiw).

In other words: "We're a bigoted club supported by knuckle-dragging pondlife."
Original post by Ritter
In other words: "We're a bigoted club supported by knuckle-dragging pondlife."

I'd get someone else to do your close-reading exams :wink:

Bigoted club? Nah, not a chance. No sectarian employment policy, fans of different religions and nationalities. Mentions or religion in song no longer heard, with the cringeworthy 'Roamin' in the Gloamin' dying out ages ago.

Do people sing about the IRA, against the wishes of the club? Yeah. Distasteful, hurtful, emotionally-charged, some would argue not for a football ground. Bigoted? No, it's one side in a conflict. Sectarian? No, it's nothing to do with religion.
Original post by Ritter
Very good. Giving it large over winning a cup 16 years ago against a 1st Div side, who you just mocked for going bust. Ach well, I'll join in:

Ok this is a tim poster taking the rip:lol: no one would post that trying to be proud of it

Not unique, and everything pales in comparison to the prospect of going into the Scotia Bar and slagging off the Dandies.

ASC, bitches.

Quick Reply

Latest