The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do you know how many pages it is?!?!?! 66 pages!!! I have no time to that when I have an exam tomorrow to revise for...sorry! Not to mention I don't even HAVE a scanner lol!
Reply 21
Ok listen up here is the structure for my plan and report and if anyone is debating as to wether im qualified or not, I got B first time going for A lol. I want rep I had to type that out lol.
Reply 22
Tipitman’s Guide to a Perfect Plan in the Thematic

Spend 10 to 15 minuites on the following:

a) How you perceive problem (often just copying it out as presented)

b) Set context (background info, environment business operates)

c) Clearly state YOUR aim not the businesses, keep the title of report in mind

d) Devise clear S.M.A.R.T objectives, for the report not the business. You only need a few and must follow them through in report, the examiner looks.

e) Offer any assumptions about data

E.g The data is accurate
Market conditions allow….
Reply 23
Tipitman’s Guide to Perfect Structure in the Thematic

1. Title – (2 mins) as written by exam board

2. Terms Of Reference – (5 mins) briefly explain what the report is about, who commissioned it (who is it being written for, who requested it) Why is it being written? What is its importance or significance? What constrain are you working under? (the availability or not of data) Any assumptions you will be making and whether you will be making recommendations (in the exam you will) – can use bullet points here.

3. Procedure – (5 mins) briefly refer to the data you have been given and say type “Primary Secondary” “hearsay” qualitative, quantitative etc. plus any knowledge you have that will be helpful.

4. Analysis/Findings – (30 to 40 mins core of the paper) this is where you need to focus your time and effort. Interrogate the data and analyse it. Select which bits you think are relevant and which are not. Say why you selected certain data and rejected others. (Not expected to use all data some will be of little value.) Briefly summarise what the data shows e.g. number of competitors or sales data.

5. Conclusions – (5 mins) now briefly state what you can conclude for the analysis of the above data.

e.g competitors are getting more aggressive in marketing there for over the next 1 too 2 years therefore you can expect…… etc

6. Recommendations - (5 mins) Keep Brief , you can use bullet points if you want but must follow on logically from the analysis and findings section and conclusions above. Put them in some sort of order whether it be priority, cost or time.
Heeeey that was pretty good! thanks! u will def be getting rep! lol
i agree with the plan

but 4. (the report section) you've also got to analyse the options surely? and use the data to SUPPORT that analysis..

i dunno, correct me if i'm wrong :s-smilie:
What do u think the two options will be? i think one will be to go into gaming, and the other more like food or perhaps alcohol.
Reply 27
In four you are looking at data saying what it shows and what data is useful, once you have said what the data shows in the conculsion you can do all your evaluation saying this therefore means on the whole and all that stuff.

It is an odd concept I know but it worked lol.
Reply 28
What do u think the two options will be? i think one will be to go into gaming, and the other more like food or perhaps alcohol.

To be honest im not sure, I agree with gaming and then maybe a bistro set up or more entertainment.
yeah well i hope its alcohol lol cos thats wat the one near me has done. hmm. i need to do some research.
i read that as "gambling" and i was going to say a big no to that because OCR would hardly like to be seen advocating gambling would they lol.

Yeh exploiting the growth of the gaming market or revamping their facilities and improving the quality of the food and drink. Or possibly exploiting the market overseas in developing countries but I can't see that being an option because I doubt they would give an option that doesn't work in the UK.
oh god dnt scare me abroad? i dnt even kno whats goin on in this country! lol
Reply 32
storminaDcup
Or possibly exploiting the market overseas in developing countries but I can't see that being an option because I doubt they would give an option that doesn't work in the UK.

nah your thinking too deep, the options they give us will be simple as its not about the best buisness idea it's structure.
noo tis just a thought i had...they could do if they reaaaly wanted to!!
tipitman, where did u get your structure info from? apt or ur teacher or the internet? and i wont believe that u were born with the ability and knowledge of a business report either! lol
Reply 35
storminaDcup
noo tis just a thought i had...they could do if they reaaaly wanted to!!

lol, they could also ask us about intricate options that involve some macro-economics and the trade cycle but I doubt it, what were looking at are simple options, they could even be do gaming or die.

The Thematic is never complex in it's ideas, it's structure of a report and selectiveness of data that gets people.
Reply 36
Honeypepper
tipitman, where did u get your structure info from? apt or ur teacher or the internet? and i wont believe that u were born with the ability and knowledge of a business report either! lol

Well your question says apart from teacher so i can't answer lol, yeh he gave it us all on a handout thats basicly the structure he thought us that I used and it worked well, and the examiner said it was a sound struture.

It says in mark scheme there is no set structure it just must look and feel like a report and be easy to read, like in analysis maybe some sub headings? After all they can't knock marks off.
How do you select data? if the have costs, would you select that as one piece, and then perhaps the say the change it would have on the target market?
LOL i meant APT lol ahha not apart lol ahahah sorry xx
Reply 39
Honeypepper
How do you select data? if the have costs, would you select that as one piece, and then perhaps the say the change it would have on the target market?

No prob about APT lol, and you would select it based on the options so say one may show the amount of time spent on internet well if your looking at getting a loan from a bank that might not be every useful.

Latest

Trending

Trending