The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Reply 81
Cristiano12
Tipitman, do you have any specific methods on how to use the numerate data in the case study? Is it acceptable just to state them (Option 1 has a setup cost of £40,000 which is considerably less and will provide less risk....) or do we need to do calculations on them to get a good grade?

Hey, well to be honest I did no basic number workings in last exam and it is acceptable just to interrogate the data say what it shows all that sort of stuff, in this one however you might wanna look at payback to score high marks.
Reply 82
Singh_2

Perhaps the partnership may look to diversify into this LAN gaming market??

Hi, I would of thought it is extremly likey that one option will be in LAN gaming, the other could be entertainment perhaps or even just to cut losses, we never know. But gaming I would say is a safe bet.
Reply 83
Buisness students, you are all missing a key part of this set up. The fact it is a internet cafe itself, which hasn't been dynamic enough over the 10 years since they came about.

What is this an example of?

Marketing Myopia (http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/marketing-myopia.html)

They have been short sighted in there plans and have not diversified, see if you cannot get this idea into your report, its sure too impress and I bet you can.
Reply 84
Hey Tipitman have you got any figures for the internet cafe market?

I've been searching on google and there is a fee charged for all the market reports.

I've got some basic info such as Internet penetration risen to 51%- 2003

and

50% of homes now have internet access- 2004

I know this data is weak but you can get around this in the exam by saying that its weak data and evaluating the consequences

e.g. This conclusion is drawn based upon a limited sample and for a fuller picture an extensive market research survey should be undertaken
Reply 85
Singh_2
Hey Tipitman have you got any figures for the internet cafe market?

You don't even need numbers all that much, my first time round I used no info about photocoypier market and got a B, all you need is some basics like:

Internet is cheaper than ever before

3G internet allows buisness customers to hook up for around £20 a month nearly anywhere with strong mobile signal in the cities, for checking e-mail ect.

Internet was out there in the 1990's and became mainstream by 1995's.

Maybe the idea that they help bridge the digital divide, but surley that is goverments job.
The dotcom bubble, showed that IT ideas move so quick some ideas won't survive and the bubble burst.

Internet was made by DARPA (US Millitay) tested by UK and USA uni's.

Just basic stuff like that, percentages are nice but they won't get that many extra marks.
Reply 86
The dotcom bubble, showed that IT ideas move so quick some ideas won't survive and the bubble burst.

So using this theory we could argue that any new strategies used involving IT will only be short-medium term solutions due to the rapidly changing technology and ideas etc.

Therefore we could argue that survival in the long term is extremely difficult for businesses in this industry??
Reply 87
Singh_2

Therefore we could argue that survival in the long term is extremely difficult for businesses in this industry??

No what we could argue is that for a buisness to survive in this industry they have to be even more dynamic than others in diffrent sectors, and if not there idea will die and they can lead to getting marketing myopia.

Which is what has happened here, they have tried to use the same idea over the years with out responding to lower internet costs and now are suffering.

Where as people like easyinternet cafes have responded by monthly deals that work out much cheaper than a subscription.
Reply 88
I got a C in january, smack bang on the border for C.
It was pretty easy in january but i still only got a C, so im wondering how to get an A.
I'm going to go through APT, memorise the layout, memorise research and thats all I think I can do.
Oh and read the Mark scheme.

Anybody else?
 During the 1990s, it was estimated that the Internet grew by 100% per year, with a brief period of explosive growth in 1996 and 1997

 The applications of It have become massive whether it be multimedia, gaming, research or even communication it has also introduced new business ideas

 Broadband is becoming cheaper too, with businesses offering free laptops when subscribing you can even get broadband for free in some places as well.

 As of March 31, 2008, 1.407 billion people use the Internet according to Internet World Stats

 UK has 40.4 Million users

 66.4% of the uk have internet access

 161% increase from 200-2007

 21% have broadband

 1994 first cyber café in England

 50% internet café user are travellers
I was thinking some likely options could be, wonder if anyone has any suggestions

 As over 50% of travelers use internet cafe, they may turn into a hostel

 LAN gaming

any more?
Reply 91
im just bored of this tbh, its my last exam and i dont think i can concentrate on it properly!

just remember to put about LAN gaming may be damaged by the rise and rise of xbox 360 and PS3 and such games as call of duty 4, in which are similar to the most popular LAN games, and only cost £5 a month for xbox live membership and can be unlimitedly played in the comfort of ones own home.
good luck tomorrow everyone !
Reply 93
ErGoProXy_ClaYmOrE
good luck tomorrow everyone !

cheers mate you too. and everyone else too :smile:
tom4blues
im just bored of this tbh, its my last exam and i dont think i can concentrate on it properly!

just remember to put about LAN gaming may be damaged by the rise and rise of xbox 360 and PS3 and such games as call of duty 4, in which are similar to the most popular LAN games, and only cost £5 a month for xbox live membership and can be unlimitedly played in the comfort of ones own home.

yeah but the point is that the gaming brings everyone together to PLAY those games eg xbox and ps
Reply 95
Remember the social aspect of the cafe's too ppl :smile: Xbox and PS is rather unsociable although the costs are far cheaper of playing others through a home connection i.e £5 per month.

Its really hard to say much more. Entirely depends on the case study provided to us to find the underlying problem :frown:
Some things we may want to consider when evalating options

*Ethical issues

*Corporate strategy

* Partnership difference in opinion

*Human relations
has anybody got the sample question from the APT if somebody could scan it in or send i would be so grateful

:smile:
Reply 98
wow this isnt the massive thread i thought it would be!

good luck everyone!
Reply 99
can somebody clear up the layout for me, i'm struggling a bit...
i know i do:

1. Title
2. Terms of Reference
3.???
4. Findings/Analysis
5. Conclusion
6. Recommendation

But i dont know what i put for 3, would that be like a background to the business... i.e. the problems its got such as sales/market decline, the audience its attracting etc (im looking over an example case study so i know that might not apply to todays).
And is the findings/analysis where you discuss options x and y? God its suddenly gone all foggy lol. So yeah if anybody could say briefly what i put under each heading that would be great :-/

Latest

Trending

Trending