The Student Room Group

Is A,A,A really engouth for oxford

Most decent University's now basically have A,A,A Grade entrance requirements for course such as law,Hisotry and medicine ect.So what actually makes the applicants stand out from the majority for a place at oxford.They only take the best of the best i know, but how to they go about selecting the succesfull aplicant's

Is all based on interview's and their admission's test?

Regards

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personal statement and sometimes background and module marks, loads of things.
Well, they consider your performance at your Interview, your Personal Statement, the reference from your school, work experience (possibly), the written work you submit to them (if they ask for some), your entrance test (if the subject requires one) and your GCSEs. While Cambridge does, Oxford doesn't really look at module marks to make their decision.
Reply 3
They also consider whether or not you can actually write a coherent sentence, OP :rolleyes:
They say A levels make up for bad GCSE's.I would of thought most applicant's have at least 4 A levels at A,A,A,A
Reply 5
Being able to spell would help. Sorry, that was uncalled for.

Any university it only going to take "the best" that apply to them, really. But don't forget that the top elite for a course may not always apply to Oxbridge.

Anyway, grades have never been the only way of. You only get "admissions test" in a select few courses.

Personal statements have always been important. They are your chance to convey your passion and enthusiasm for a course. Academic references also and, yes, interview. Based on these few things it indeed is difficult to differentiate. Admissions tutors have a tough task.

Even then it may seem slightly unfair to be rejected. After all, many excellent students apply so many are rejeted. It can seem a little arbitary at times.
Reply 6
rufus_approved
They say A levels make up for bad GCSE's.I would of thought most applicant's have at least 4 A levels at A,A,A,A

Well firstly most applicants don't have a-levels yet as you apply at the start of the A2 year. And secondly... not really no
Reply 7
RightSaidJames
and your GCSEs.

No they don't, not generally. Durham, LSE and a couple of others are your GCSE "Nazis" :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Angelil
They also consider whether or not you can actually write a coherent sentence, OP :rolleyes:

Always a smart ass telling someone their english is bad. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Angelil

Lol Well, at least I'm not the only one to mention it (I thought I'd get slated for it).
Reply 10
Rei
Always a smart ass telling someone their english is bad. :rolleyes:

Smart arse. An ass is an animal :wink:
Reply 11
River85

That's what I was trying to call her, obviously. :ninja:

:biggrin:
Reply 12
River85

not necassarily, i think americans spell "arse" as "ass" :wink: . And who is to say the "queen's" english is the right english?
Reply 13
Sam...:D
not necassarily, i think americans spell "arse" as "ass" :wink: . And who is to say the "queen's" english is the right english?

I know, that's the point I was making. The Americanisation of the English langauge.

And that's not necessarily "the Queen's english". That's something else entirely.
Reply 14
So doing amazingly well on the PPE entrance test, for example, would get you an interview despite less desirable grades at AS level and a less than perfect reference? :rolleyes:

Me.
Reply 16
The Queen Of England
Me.

lol, you have alot of free time on your hands!
Reply 17
The Queen Of England
Me.

I would have thought the Queen herself would know she's the Queen of the United Kingdom and her commonwealth, not England :wink:

But, regardless, welcome your Majesty. What's sex on legs like you doing here?
Reply 18
Thats the point. Oxbridge people dont stand out anymore. Its just another "reputable uni". nothing special really anymore

Well that's just wrong.
Reply 19
random18
So doing amazingly well on the PPE entrance test, for example, would get you an interview despite less desirable grades at AS level and a less than perfect reference? :rolleyes:

Err....who said that? No one as far as I know as it's complete crap.

Latest

Trending

Trending