The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found it harder than past papers too, but think I've done ok overall, should get me what I need. I know I've screwed up the primary amine though and think I might have got the names in the last question on the paper wrong.
I couldn't name that acid anydride or that diester at the end, but it was nonetheless a fair paper. I feel it went well :smile:
Reply 3
i said hydrogen cyanide for the ketone + acid one..... not sure if that count though lmao. couldn't think of why it would distinguish them but i knew it wasn't tollens. oh well
Reply 4
Ah I'm guted about that question for the acid test tbh because if i recognised what species it was than i could have named the test perfectly. Really should get over it tho.

For the names in the last Q i put ethanoic anhydride and and dimethyl-ethandioate. Just my best guess really. I suggested that the anhydride's single peak would be 0.7-1.2 and the other was in the ester range point.

what was your test to distinguish benzene and the cyclohexene? I went for bromine water.
Reply 5
a bit harder than past papers! i just don't like isomers! :s-smilie:
What values did everyone get for the buffer solution? I think I got 4.23 or 4.24.

Overall, not horrific, but am getting increasingly nervous about Mod 5 and 6!
Reply 7
4.23!! overall i rekon a friggin tough paper !! !! !!
Reply 8
I didn't do that one completely...
Reply 9
Good i'm glad most people here think it was harder than past papers...most people at my school thought it was a similar difficulty to past ones.
Means the grade boundaries should be a bit nicer.
Reply 10
nearly everyone in my college said it was harder than previous papers!! and also.. BIOLOGY TOMORW EEEK!

p.s. qu on partial pressures was a wee bit harddddddddd !
Oh! Q1, last bit. Why was the partial pressure over half? Couldn't figure that one out at all!
Reply 12
I found it pretty easy... But the last time I found CHM4 easy was when I got 53-D. Starting to get nervous about it...
Reply 13
happy-and-lost
Oh! Q1, last bit. Why was the partial pressure over half? Couldn't figure that one out at all!

I wrote that when V is reduced, the pressure increases. Equilibrium works to decrease pressure, so favours the backward reaction towards Hydrazine.
Easier than january (that was a hideous one) and the organic bits were easier and the maths was alright.

The problem I had was the distinguishing thing -
Bromine water for benzene
KMnO4 for the ketone/ acid, which i think is wrong ( ketone doesnt decolourise,)
K2Cr2O7 for the alcohols - I think thats right
I wrote the bottom 2 the wrong way round and changed the numbers and did swaps arrows to make the Mn reagent for the ketone/acid
Reply 15
there wasnt a question 8?
Reply 16
i thought it was quite a hard paper too, especially tthe first question. thought a lot of section B was easy though hmmmm
Reply 17
What did u guys have for the deduce the PH when 100cm3 of water is added? I said it doesnt change so quoted the PH they gave.
Reply 18
yes same! i rote 4.20 again :smile:!!
I thought the paper was hard....
I made a very silly mistake on the last question i was running out of time although i knew you had to compare chemical shifts! and the compound Q i thought was 1-4-methyl ethanoate :s-smilie: and the other one i wrote was ethanoic anhydride ..
I reallyy hated the question on isomerisim with the different peaks...For the question asking us to distinguish between cyclobenzene and benzene i really didnt know what to write and so resorted to writing that one forms nitrobenze and the other dosent as it dosnt contain delocalised electrons however now im having second thoughts as it was bromine water :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending