The Student Room Group

MSc Comparative Politics at LSE or MA International Relations at King's? Help!

Hi there,

I have acceptances to study for an MSc in Comparative Politics (conflict studies stream) at LSE and also the MA in International Relations at King's College (within the War Studies department)

I'm originally from the UK but haven't lived there for a long time and won't be able to visit either place. I know LSE has a great reputation, but I'm not sure if Comparative Politics does (didn't get into the MSc IR, which would have been my first choice). However, people also say King's War Studies department is really good, and the IR degree is supposed to be the most competitive one within the department, so I'm not sure what to do!

If there's anyone out there studying in the Government department who knows about the Comparative Politics program, it would be great to know what you think of it! And any advice on whether its worth it to choose LSE even though its my 2nd choice program...to be honest the coursework looks interesting to me either way, I'm just a little worried about my future job prospects with an MSc in Comparative Politics...doesn't sound the most practical, and I have a feeling a lot of employers wouldn't even know what it was. I work in the NGO/humanitarian field with refugees, so whichever program will help me further my career in this field would be helpful.

Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon!
Reply 1
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=11688838#post11688838

I think this thread may help, sorry if the link doesn't work, just copy and paste.
Reply 2
Hi americanguy, thanks that is helpful! It sounds like most people are advising LSE over King's. Mostly I'm just worried that the name of the degree will sound too abstract to employers and whether LSE is the best place for someone working in the NGO field rather than financial/corporate sector. What made you pick LSE out of curiousity? Maybe I'll see you in the fall...

Any other advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply 3
I picked LSE for a few reasons. I visited the campus over winter before I got my acceptance from any place and just fel that this was the place for me to be. Also being over here in the states I know a degree from LSE, albeit comparative politics, will go further than a Kings degree. If you want to work for NGO I think you will be fine w/ a comparative politics degree from LSE. I believe, I may be wrong though, that you can take some classes from different departments so if you really want to sit in on a class or two from the I.R. stream i think you can.

Both campuses are really close to each other, but LSE being more diverse and a better reputation really sealed the deal for me. Plus there were a few classes that I want to take... religion and politics class, and a class about the u.s. govt...

hope to see u there in the fall.
Reply 4
I think if you want to stay in the NGO world you should look seriously at Kings. Their staff are just very well connected with the security and development type of NGO so if that would interest you, then it's worth a look. Are you classed as home or overseas for fees? If home then I'd doubt paying so much more for the LSE degree is worth it. TBH look at the different modules on the programmes and see which excite you. I doubt either would damage you career-wise as Kings is a known quantity in the NGO world.
LSE > Kings especially at post grad level.

Even Oxbridge BA holders ---> LSE msc.

Countless people I know personally more than 20+ have left 'lesser unis' at undergrad and LSE for Msc and have ended up in some amazing careers. The culture at LSE also is very helpful for ambitious people. So along with getting a fabulous education you'll also meet some of the most ambitious kids (I'm sure Kings has many, but not on the scale of LSE) and useful contacts for the future.
Reply 6
Yes, there is a huge difference in the course fees, which is definitely a factor. 5,500 pounds for Kings vs. 13,000 for LSE. Its possible for me to go to LSE, but my life would be a lot easier financially for the next year if I didn't. At this point though, I'm having a hard time feeling excited about King's. Perhaps this is an unfair judgment of Kings (especially as my knowledge of these schools comes entirely from their websites and emails exchanged with students)...but King's war studies department seems to come across as more old fashioned and into traditional IR and security....LSE seems a lot more diverse, both politically and in terms of the student body, and cutting edge (or maybe they just have the better website!!) Would be curious to know if people think my impressions of the 2 schools are at all correct.

americanguy, if you have a moment, what were the 2 campuses like in your impression, were they similar? Unfortunately I'm stuck in a teaching contract with almost no vacation until the end of August, so a visit is impossible.

Latest

Trending

Trending