The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ok thanks for the advice guys.I'm gonna change my option on Friday when I go back into school.I don't fancy doing another 2 years of English lang :rofl: Thanks for your help so far :biggrin:

I just emailed the Philosophy teacher @ my school and she said that they might be changing the exam board to OCR for Sept.
sunburnt_note
This may be the case at your school, but grade boundaries for Philosophy or Religious Studies tend to be very low (it was 83/120 for an A in Edexcel's AS last year), suggesting that most people do not get very high marks. That said, if you're good, the low grade boundaries do make it easier to do well :smile:

OP - RS is one of my favourite subjects, I've enjoyed it at A2 especially; you should definitely take it :smile: It's also better respected than English Language (on the whole).

Same in AS ethics and A2 philosophy module in OCR RS. Looking at the examiners report and for A2 phil module they usually have many people just writting pages of what they know and not answer the question and because of that many people do bad each year and last year on that paper raw mark of 63/90 (70%) was coverted to 72/90 (80%) so you only needed about 70% and they bump it up to an A. That is how bad people did!!!!!
It gets worse...for some A2 AQA Philosophy modules, you only need 56% in raw marks for an A... :p:
I did philosophy Alevel and loved it! (its now my degree). Personally i found it quite easy but I know a lot of people find it really difficult.
sunburnt_note
It gets worse...for some A2 AQA Philosophy modules, you only need 56% in raw marks for an A... :p:

:eek: why didn't we do AQA :frown: its like they are giving A grades for half price :rolleyes:
Chrisateen
:eek: why didn't we do AQA :frown: its like they are giving A grades for half price :rolleyes:

yes but these are the types of questions

"discuss whether or not it is useful to use subjective items when explaining our perceptual knowledge"

trust me we may onyl need 56% sometimes but it sure as hell ain't easy
The_Goose
yes but these are the types of questions

"discuss whether or not it is useful to use subjective items when explaining our perceptual knowledge"

trust me we may onyl need 56% sometimes but it sure as hell ain't easy

All I have got to say to that is :wtf?: what on earth has that got to do with RS
Chrisateen
All I have got to say to that is :wtf?: what on earth has that got to do with RS

nah that was a philosophy question on this years AS paper..

You're fully into quoting me today, I feel well special
The_Goose
nah that was a philosophy question on this years AS paper..

You're fully into quoting me today, I feel well special

Aw Im glad you feel that way :smile: back to the topic still an AS phil question. On the OCR AS phil exam we get stuff like 'explain freud's challenge to religious belief' or 'explain Augstine's theodicy' or something like that very simple and straight forward
Chrisateen
Aw Im glad you feel that way :smile: back to the topic still an AS phil question. On the OCR AS phil exam we get stuff like 'explain freud's challenge to religious belief' or 'explain Augstine's theodicy' or something like that very simple and straight forward

yea that's why my teacher doesn't like the ocr spec. he says it's more a "history of idea's" course rather than philosophy. Whereas our course is very much your own interpretation and opinions. More interesting IMO but more challenging I would say
I loved GCSE religion, we focused on Chrisianity and I found it thoroughly enjoyable. I got an A*. I decided to take philosopht and ehtics for AS level o the OCR board, as my school didn't offer religious studies.

It was COMPLETELY different. I took History, English lit and lang combined and Psychology and found it to be the hardest out of all of them. There was SO much to learn and although I'd understan most of it in class when it came to exams I'd just confuse myself with questions. Although some questions seem simple, some are so narrow that it's impossible to figure out how to write enough for 33 marks. e.g. having to give just the weaknesses of Bentham's Utilitarianist theory. It is a really amazing subject, but I really found it hard, and I really think I've done rubbish in it *sighs*. I just probably don't have the right brain for it, despite putting in a heck of a lot of effort.

Not that I want to turn you agaisnt it lol. I enjoyed the course, but I've always been panicy with exams, so it may just be me lol.

Ruth xx

Latest

Trending

Trending