The Student Room Group

5 A Levels.. Worth it?

Basically I don't have a clue what I'm doing for my A levels! I'm in Yr 11 and I've almost finished GCSE's; been predicted 7*s and 5As, i rekcon i may get 1 or 2 bs tho.

But anyways, I have no idea how what I am doing; but i will probably do a mixture of science and arts subjects as i am very confused about future possible careers.

If I was to do for example:

French, Geog, Lit, Chem and Bio

Would it be too much? doing 5AS levels? the reason for this is i want to keep the optino for a language/ social science/ lit or drama/ medicine degree open to me. I find it hard to make decisions! Furthemore I am quite scared about chemistry, therfore if it goes badly i can drop it in november or whenever when it's too late to pick up soemthing else, and then drop bio in thesummer and carry on an arts based course in A2, or if i love the sciences and hate french then i can drop that before AS and then drop Lit after AS and then do a science based course for A2.

You guys get me? Anyways, any people that have done it before, do you thikn i could do it with my academic ability? Is it really that hard? How full is ur timetable (any frees at all?!), and do you thikn i could get out of general stuides if my college let me do this???

cheers guys.

EDIT: Just to clarify i would only ever consider doing 5 AS Levels. For A2 I will almost certainly just do 3 A levels, as by then i hope I will know what sort of degree I would like to do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldnt do 5 if I were you. I would not do geography personally, since the others would stand you in good stead for anything you want to do.

Giving the uni's more will make them ask for more!

4 is plenty at AS.

You'll find it 'orrid to try to pull off 5 big ones like that! Seeing as they are all hard.
Reply 2
I took 5 AS levels and found it fine. I didn't have any frees, but whenever a lesson was canceled I found myself bored and ended up doing work anyway :biggrin:. I had to take general studies, but that's hardly going to steal revision time :wink:.

I know a few people who are continuing with 5 subjects at A2, but they're predicted AAAAA and could easily handle it.

Oh, I take Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, History and English Language, and I got 1 A*, 6As and 5Bs at GCSE.
Reply 3
Geography is fun, and it's a traditional subject, and you can get a good grade in Geography easily too- I did AS and A2 AQA Geography this year for a bit of fun and I'm looking to get an A on results day. I'd drop Literature it's not needed and isn't as respected as it used to be.
Reply 4
5 is fine at AS, and not that uncommon (I did seven, with slightly worse GCSE grades than you're predicted). If you're thinking of applying for medicine, don't forget to keep up the work experience as well.
Reply 5
hazzypants
You guys get me? Anyways, any people that have done it before, do you thikn i could do it with my academic ability? Is it really that hard? How full is ur timetable (any frees at all?!), and do you thikn i could get out of general stuides if my college let me do this???

I get you; I did 5 A-levels for a similar reason (to keep my options open).
It wasn't too difficult, I still had a few frees, and I'm now on course for 5 As at A2.
If you are willing and capable then go for it! :smile:
Reply 6
English literature I would say was more respected than geography actually. Less do it, and it requires a deeper thinking and analytical skills that will stand you in good sted at uni.
Reply 7
To be honest I really wouldn't take 5 AS levels. I got 9A*s, 3As and a B at GCSE so I'm not saying it has anything to do with academic ability because even I struggled. I did biology, french, spanish, history and psychology (and general studies). It really wasn't worth it. The stress and workload was too much and I became seriously ill because of it which meant I then had to repeat the year (with fewer subjects!). Choose the four you enjoy most and do those. It's better to get 4 good grades than 5 not so good ones.
From the look of your GCSE predicts you look like you'll be fine.
I got 8a* and 2a for GCSE and have done biology chemistry physics and critical thinking AS and the maths AS and A level this year, so the equivalent of 6 AS. It's definitely tough but if you think you'll manage then go for it!!

In terms of frees, my school has no set lunch break for 6th form so we're working on a 6 lesson day with each lesson an hour long, I got an average of 1 free a day so if you took away the lunch hour then I would have 1 free a week! =]

I think you could manage but would probably have to give up at least 1 of them if not 2 for year 13 as I think 4 A levels is pretty much the max anyone could manage in a year.

Good Luck
I would advise against doing 5 A-levels if at all possible. I do 4 (and General studies) and that seems plenty of work for me! Then again, thats because I do subjects with lots of coursework- like Technology and Computing.
It's not always the best for uni's either, I have a friend (sorry if your on here and Im talking about you!) who does 5 A levels, plus general studies, and hes predicted all As, but didn't get a single uni offer...
Reply 10
Personally I wouldn't do it, especcially not doing 5 subjects to the full A2. Your workload will be horrible, and it probably won't make the universities like you any more; plenty of people get into even the very top unis with 3 A-levels. 4 is a bonus, but 5 IMO is superfluous.

BIC MEDIUM
I'd drop Literature it's not needed and isn't as respected as it used to be.
Rubbish...that's simply not true and I'm sure most would agree that English Lit is more 'respected' (whatever that means anyway) than Geography.
Reply 11
walkjj
English literature I would say was more respected than geography actually. Less do it, and it requires a deeper thinking and analytical skills that will stand you in good sted at uni.

I didn't say it wasn't, it's just a hell of a lot more work for not that much. 20 years ago, the hard work to get a good A-Level in Lit was worth it because it was one of the most respected you could do, but now it isn't the same.
Reply 12
markdr
Rubbish...that's simply not true and I'm sure most would agree that English Lit is more 'respected' (whatever that means anyway) than Geography.

When did I say it wasn't? A University would be happy to see an A in Geog, they would be even happier to see an A in Lit BUT it's a hell of a lot more work and it isn't worth it since Literature is not as respected as it used to be I'm afraid.
BIC MEDIUM
I'd drop Literature it's not needed and isn't as respected as it used to be.

Where did you get this idea from? Lit is very well-respected indeed.
OP, if you're worried about taking five AS, I'd say that Geography is the most unnecessary of the ones you've chosen. The others leave your options very much open.
Reply 14
5 AS's - Yes, it is worth it I feel
5 A2's - No.
Reply 15
BIC MEDIUM
Literature is not as respected as it used to be I'm afraid.
What are you basing that on, seriously? It's one of the most respected subjects; just because it isn't a science don't think it's not difficult and/or respected.
5AS is no problem, then just drop one and carry on with 4A2
Reply 17
markdr
What are you basing that on, seriously? It's one of the most respected subjects; just because it isn't a science don't think it's not difficult and/or respected.

A graduate studying Geography can actually expect to earn more than a graduate studying an English related degree such as Literature in 2008 actually, according to latest figures.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=6371
Doing Maths would be more useful than Geography. Apart from Geography I'm not sure what other degree courses would require it?
Reply 19
well i did 4 AS + english (2nd language) (we have the same number of lessons a week as an Alevel subject and the amount of work we got is more than a subject per week)
in year 13 i didn't drop a subject and had to do english until march.
and i'm still managing. but really stressful. especially as i had to do 2 cwk as well. so basically after easter i'm slacking quite a lot...even now. when i still have exams coming up. but yeah. i did manage to scrap 4As last year with all those pressure..so it really depends on whether you can cope with the workload or not.

Latest