The Student Room Group

Cambridge... What Else??

hi, to all those already at cambridge, what other five universities did you apply?

i will (hopefully) apply to cambridge this year, Natural Science (Physics), so i will probably apply physics as a course at other universities, right now, at the peak of open days, im stuck on which other universities to apply and i would very much like to hear the ones you did espececially those who do Natural sciences so consider attending their open days etc !

i know its better to look at them individually myself, but id like to get some ideas first, narrow down the fields, get down to know the best ones!

so please, share the ones u applied to with some reasons preferably!! thanks!!( those who will apply to cambridge this year is equally welcome!!):tsr2:

Scroll to see replies

harvard, yale, princeton, ARU.
your question actually has nothing to do with cambridge, does it? i hope a diligent moderator moves this.
well first of all, it's only 4 others

I applied to Edinburgh, York, Warwick and Durham
and Cambridge, obviously.

and I just realised you want Natural Sciences, which is nothing to do with me
sorry to waste your time...
EscapeTheFate

err, no, babycakes. everyone already at cambridge applied to (up to) five (excluding internationals). and we outnumber you.
Reply 5
EscapeTheFate

and I just realised you want Natural Sciences, which is nothing to do with me
sorry to waste your time...

Any is welcome!!!:smile:

oh and to the post above... i posted here to ask the opinions of cambridge students and those who want to apply there... isnt that specific enough??
Nottingham, Bristol, Southampton, Cardiff, Warwick

I generally went for the ones that a) did my course (obviously) b) were pretty good and c) weren't too far from home (3 hours or less)

I visited them all except Cardiff after offers (Cardiff I only really put down as I didn't know what to put as my 6th choice). I liked Nottingham and Warwick a lot, didn't like Bristol, liked Southampton but not enough to go there. I put Warwick as my insurance over Nottingham as I thought the campus was a bit more impressive...more facilities, a nicer feel.
cleverer_than_you
err, no, babycakes. everyone already at cambridge applied to (up to) five (excluding internationals). and we outnumber you.

babycakes???

That's what I said anyway?? "Up to 4 others"

And I was just making sure he realised he could only apply to 5 in total, not 6 any more.

Why so hostile?:confused:
Jiajun
Any is welcome!!!:smile:

oh and to the post above... i posted here to ask the opinions of cambridge students and those who want to apply there... isnt that specific enough??

it's a bit of a funny thing to ask.

why not look at uni rankings for physics rather than finding out where a guy with an offer for philosophy at clare applied?
Nottingham has a Nat Sci course for 2009 entry. Just thought i'd throw that in.
EscapeTheFate
babycakes???

That's what I said anyway?? "Up to 4 others"

And I was just making sure he realised he could only apply to 5 in total, not 6 any more.

Why so hostile?:confused:

you just don't know, know, how i, i, like it down low, low.

i meant we applied to five that weren't cambridge. obvo.
Reply 11
im counting on the belief that the cambridge students are and knows the best... (my own belief by the mind, so dont argue please:biggrin:)

so far... warwick seems quite popular
cleverer_than_you
it's a bit of a funny thing to ask.

why not look at uni rankings for physics rather than finding out where a guy with an offer for philosophy at clare applied?

I posted before I realised he was interested in Natural Sciences only, I edited my first post! ^^

I though he was asking for Cambridge in general.
EscapeTheFate
I posted before I realised he was interested in Natural Sciences only, I edited my first post! ^^

I though he was asking for Cambridge in general.

i know. don't get all defensive.

i applied to LSE, imperial, warwick, bristol, UCL. they gave me offers. i politely declined.
cleverer_than_you
you just don't know, know, how i, i, like it down low, low.

i meant we applied to five that weren't cambridge. obvo.

oookay...

I'm sure you're deliberately not reading the whole of what I've said...
Whatever Trevor
Reply 15
This is an odd question.

I am not at Cambridge, but I do have an offer which I intend to meet.

I applied to Manchester, Birmingham, York and Warwi (and Cambridge, clearly). I knew I wanted a very multi/interdisciplinary social science course, and these were the main ones which had such a course, and were good unis. I also did some narrowing down (perhaps cutting out around four others) as to which unis clearly had attrotious disability departments, horrible accomodation, no mature students whatsoever, no good trainlines or were really really really far away.
Jiajun
im counting on the belief that the cambridge students are and knows the best... (my own belief by the mind, so dont argue please:biggrin:)

so far... warwick seems quite popular

Good luck with that. :wink:
Reply 17
Hedgehunter
Good luck with that. :wink:

well, not all obv... but on the whole... they are one of the elite bunch arent they?
Jiajun
well, not all obv... but on the whole... they are one of the elite bunch arent they?

True..but there are clever people in the world out side of Oxbridge. Its a rather dim outlook on life, thats all.
I have an offer for Bio Natsci, and I applied to:
Bristol (Biochem)
Durham (Natsci)
St Andrews (Biology - scottish unis have lovely broad courses if thats what you want)
and Birmingham (Natsci)

I generally went for a mixture of reputable/ones I liked the look or feel of/courses that were nice and broad.
Good Luck :biggrin:
xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending