The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

went in quite confident but really didn't like it. I screwed up the E=hf question for some reason, realised about 30 seconds from the end i needed to 1/2 the energy produced, rest of my working was fine though:mad:

Last question i rambled on a bit but didn't make really any clear cut answers so don't think i'm going to score many marks.

Least the grade boundaries are quite low (mid 30's out of 60 for an A) but i need a good B if not an A to get an A overall and it's looking quite scary now:frown:
Reply 41
Mmm for the last question i kinda just chucked everything down that may have gotten me a mark. Talked of optical fibres, frequency division multiplexing, Doppler Effect, v=f lamda. Lol i just put everything i could related to it in some way.

EDIT: mid 30s out of 60 for an A?? God thats made me slightly more hopeful!
Reply 42
Jiggly Puff
Totally mucked up my units on the graph.

me too, all the inverses and squares and milliamps :s-smilie:
but hopefully thats just a couple of accuracy marks
I only need E's in PSA5 and PSA6 to get an overall C but I wanted to try for a B! Looking unlikely though. I was really hoping the graph would be a simple exponential or power law, none of this inverse stuff!
Last year's grade boundaries were 36/60=A, 32/60=B, 29/60=C, 26/60=D, 23/30=E :smile:
Daxx
I thought the paper was alright all in all.

The last question I talked about the Doppler Effect and Red Shift for the changing f.

Also mentioned what e-mag waves are [i.e. transverse]
Talked about optical fibres carrying digital signals.
And talked about Frequency division multiplexing which was the idea of the last few sentences.

Thought that q was fairly standard.

Didn't like the Voltage induced graph...I just drew a curve pi/2 radians out of phase, so it was like a cos graph. [dunno if that's right]

Graph was standard...+/- 0.005mA on the accuracy for the 1st part?

That's all I can remember now.

Ok i got the accuracy of the current wrong too. I didnt mention frequency division multiplexing :frown: but did mention the doppler shift.

For the voltage one i just guessted...When the gradient of the flux was steepest i put the voltage as maximum...cuz voltage depends on rate of change of flux.

Wen an electron and positron are formed, i got 2 different answers for the wavelength, i put them both down. :frown:

Can anyone remember the last part of question one? Something about how the induced current would effect the reading on sum machine!! lol
Reply 45
the oscilloscope one - I wasn't sure on that one, I said the amplitude would be decreased on the reading, but no idea if it's correct.

Daxx you've made my day. The question on electromagnetism was the one I didn't like, but the rest was pretty damn awesome. LOVED the graph, what did everyone get for the value of k? With indices into account it was about 2400 or something, can't remember exactly though.
i said the amplitude would decrease too lol. the graph question was probably my worst! the third and fourth question wasn't too bad.
Reply 47
That's good, that's 2 more people with a decreased amplitude so I'm happy
Neophyte99
That's good, that's 2 more people with a decreased amplitude so I'm happy

Make it 3, although i guessed :biggrin:
Reply 49
Hey it's still 4-0, so I'm happy. Can anyone remember what the electromagnetsim questions were?
Reply 50
5-0 now, lol.

The first EM question was to draw the voltage variation with time on the flux graph. I drew it slightly out of phase with the original graph, sort of sinusoidal but not exactly, flat in places where the gradient of the flux graph was constant. More or less how the 2nd derivative would be, I think.

Also, how/whether induction would occur in the human body and some other *******s. I got all my units on the graph question but I can't remember the k value. I do remember getting (R/V)^2 as 5x10^6 per amp^2, giving me around 447 ohms for the body fat.

But lol, 36/60 to get an A? That's barely 60%, is this media studies? Everyone in this thread sounds like they easily did that.
Reply 51
sdt

Also, how/whether induction would occur in the human body and some other *******s. I got all my units on the graph question but I can't remember the k value. I do remember getting (R/V)^2 as 5x10^6 per amp^2, giving me around 447 ohms for the body fat.

i got the same for R.

my k was 1.85 x10^14 or something like that.
sdt

36/60 to get an A? That's barely 60%, is this media studies? Everyone in this thread sounds like they easily did that.

Trust me i didnt. Although i thought it was 80% for an A???
Jiggly Puff
Trust me i didnt. Although i thought it was 80% for an A???

That's 80% of UMS marks needed for an A :smile: the raw marks change depending on the difficulty of the exam
Reply 54
Right, what about the water volume? I remember the numbers - volume of human = 0.07m^3, for 2cm^3 of blood the activity was 108Bq, 2cm^3 of the reference sample was 4530Bq and the reference sample volume was 10^-3 m^3.
MathematicalMind
That's 80% of UMS marks needed for an A :smile: the raw marks change depending on the difficulty of the exam

:confused: Confuuuussed!!!!! :confused:
Reply 56
Yes, the reading on the oscilloscope decreases in amplitude because the current passing through the body creates a magnetic field opposing that creating it (Lenz's Law), so the coil experiences less magnitude of changing flux, so induced voltage is lower. Thought the radioactivity body fat question was hard, I got 0.042m^3 (ratio of activities is inverse ratio of volumes). When plotting the induced voltage given flux variation, where flux was max. or min, voltage was zero. Where flux had a positive gradient, voltage was negative (V=-d(phi N)/dt). Last question was actually about double doppler shift (z=2u/v) because the atoms act as both a moving receiver and a moving source because they reflect, although I'm sure single doppler explanation and FDM will get the marks. With the photon wavelength I got 10^-12 m, you can just work out rest mass energy of one electron or positron and do E=hc/lambda. For the graph I got k = 2x10^14 in standard units and R=490 Ohms. Was tricky to get all units correct!
Reply 57
Jiggly Puff
:confused: Confuuuussed!!!!! :confused:

The raw mark in the paper (out of 60) is scaled up because either the mark scheme is too restrictive or the paper is too hard, so when you get your mark back and it says 80% UMS, you actually got about 60% raw. I got 100% UMS in PSA4 from 52/60!
Reply 58
shaunhall
Yes, the reading on the oscilloscope decreases in amplitude because the current passing through the body creates a magnetic field opposing that creating it (Lenz's Law), so the coil experiences less magnitude of changing flux, so induced voltage is lower. Thought the radioactivity body fat question was hard, I got 0.042m^3 (ratio of activities is inverse ratio of volumes). When plotting the induced voltage given flux variation, where flux was max. or min, voltage was zero. Where flux had a positive gradient, voltage was negative (V=-d(phi N)/dt). Last question was actually about double doppler shift (z=2u/v) because the atoms act as both a moving receiver and a moving source because they reflect, although I'm sure single doppler explanation and FDM will get the marks. With the photon wavelength I got 10^-12 m, you can just work out rest mass energy of one electron or positron and do E=hc/lambda. For the graph I got k = 2x10^14 in standard units and R=490 Ohms. Was tricky to get all units correct!

Do you mean 0.024m^3 (i.e. 54/2265)? I mean, I did the damn thing twice and got the same answer each way but I get the impression I made a mistake somewhere.

Oh, the last question is very broad, on the mark schemes there are usually around 12 possible marks. Just chuck in as many equations as possible :rolleyes:
shaunhall
The raw mark in the paper (out of 60) is scaled up because either the mark scheme is too restrictive or the paper is too hard, so when you get your mark back and it says 80% UMS, you actually got about 60% raw. I got 100% UMS in PSA4 from 52/60!

So 60% raw can be an A?? So if you get 36/60 i could be an A, depending on how hard the paper is?

Latest