The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Which exam bored?
You can get that thing where they give you like 5% extra marking if it's a fault like that.
They do it for other stuff and stuff like that.
Reply 21
lynds81
No, you wouldn't think that, but surely at some point during at least your revision you might look through them, I mean.. I use the specs from mine as a way of making sure I know all I can be asked about..

Maybe it's just me but I have never read a specification...

ALthough it isn't necessarily the teachers fault as he/she could have been misinformed by the department as to what he/she needed to teach.
Reply 22
montyr
Maybe it's just me but I have never read a specification...

ALthough it isn't necessarily the teachers fault as he/she could have been misinformed by the department as to what he/she needed to teach.

I guess the blame could be put onto anyone really, but at the end of the day it's SERIOUSLY bad luck for the people taking the exam who had studied the wrong books!
Reply 23
lynds81
I guess the blame could be put onto anyone really, but at the end of the day it's SERIOUSLY bad luck for the people taking the exam who had studied the wrong books!

Definitely, and someone should lose their job over it!

All the depts. at our schools go to conferences etc. where they explain things like what books have been removed from the spec. changes to the spec. etc.
Reply 24
montyr
Definitely, and someone should lose their job over it!

All the depts. at our schools go to conferences etc. where they explain things like what books have been removed from the spec. changes to the spec. etc.

I still don't think I can agree that someone should lose their job over it, everyone makes mistakes, and it is not JUST the responsibility of the teacher. It's just very tough on the students.
Reply 25
Your teacher is an idiot, he should be shot...twice
Holy crap, this was my worst nightmare all year because John Clare was new on the Eng Lit syllabus and I was paranoid due to the lack of past papers :/ But the fact it actually happened to you, god.
Reply 27
Huh so what on earth did you do? I can't imagine going into my English exam tomorrow, having studied Pride and Prejudice and Larry's Party, to find one of them not on the paper! That really is appauling from your teacher; yeah maybe others would have read the spec or something but clearly noone else in your class did either, and you shouldn't have to!

Make sure you let the exam board know!!
What, so you guys know going into the exam that your prose/short story/drama piece will have a question for it?
Reply 29
lynds81
I still don't think I can agree that someone should lose their job over it, everyone makes mistakes, and it is not JUST the responsibility of the teacher. It's just very tough on the students.

I don't understand that view at all...somewhere along the line someone has not done their job properly...if you're a mechanic and you forget to put a wheelnut on and someone's wheel falls off you lose your job and probably get sued regardless of whether people make mistakes...
Reply 30
Allthewayhome
What, so you guys know going into the exam that your prose/short story/drama piece will have a question for it?

Whats the point in studying it otherwise????
iluvdvds
Hi! Listen to this it sucks

For Drama And Theatre Studies Exam (and don't say it's easy :wink: ) we studied 2 plays. "The Government Inspector" and "The Resistable Rise Of Arturo Ui" - my strongest being "The Government Inspector".

Anyway, we all went into the exam this morning. Opened up the paper. And guess what? No "The Government Inspector"!!!!!!!!! WTF! FTW! OMFG! Nope! Not on there! Completly absent! Goodbye! That's right we had been doing a play that had been taken off the paper!!!!! It really messed with my concentration for the other book and my media exam after.

BTW - I don't blame my teacher for this (nor should you!) it weren't his fault (well, obviously it was :wink: ) but he didn't mean to. It was just a human mistake. But one that could change my future DRAMAtically!!! :frown: I bet he probably feels as crappy as me now :frown: !

DAMN IT!!!!

OMFGZZZZz! Our school did the same a few years back. 19 out of 23 (or some similar number) got A*s. It doesn't make a bit of difference.
I can't believe some people on here think its your fault.
I really feel for you, theres no way you could have really known this was going to happen, and obviously others in the class didnt either or you'd have heard about the problem.

Your teacher is totally to blame, I hope they aplologised to you and begged for forgiveness.
You can't have known this would happen. People rarely read the specification for the year that is about to happen, and obviously you must have had lots of past papers so there would have been nothing to make you suspicious or anything.
Your teacher should have been aware of the sylibus changes, its rediculous that the didnt! When a text gets taken off the exam all schools are informed, and he should have been up on this info!

Make a complaint, and make sure your school has sent off for consideration for your entire class.
I hope your teacher gets alot of stick from your headteacher for his major blooper.
montyr

Maybe its not like that where Allthewayhome lives, it certainly isnt like that in Germany. We study a lot of books over two years and then one gets picked for your final exam. You never know which one, so you have to be prepared for all of them.

But if you usually know the books/plays in advance, its bad when you cant write about them then. Do you have the chance to complain somewhere?
montyr

Well, we have a essay part of the english paper (it's called paper 2 with the first paper being a close-reading/analysis piece) consisting of 4 different sections: drama, prose, poetry and non-fiction.

Each section contains roughly 3-4 questions on which you must select

You must choose two questions - one of from one section and one from another different section eg prose and poetry question in which you have 1 1/2 hours to write them both.

The idea being that you spend the year reading a variety of texts in preparation for the exam as you don't know what will come up.

an example of a question from the drama section would be:

Choose a play which has the theme of revenge or betrayel or sacrifice.
show how the dramatist explores your chosen theme and discuss how this treatment enhances your appreciation of the play as a whole

and prose:

choose two short stories in which the aspects of the style contribute significantly to the exploration of the theme.
compare the ways in which stylistic features are used to create and maintain your interest in the central ideas of the text.

As you see the questions are open for your to choose a text to sit the question or rather choose a question which suits your text.

There's absolutely no garuntee that there will be a question to suit your chosen texts which is a problem if you only studied/prepared 2 texts for the exam.
Reply 35
Allthewayhome
Well, we have a essay part of the english paper (it's called paper 2 with the first paper being a close-reading/analysis piece) consisting of 4 different sections: drama, prose, poetry and non-fiction.

Each section contains roughly 3-4 questions on which you must select

You must choose two questions - one of from one section and one from another different section eg prose and poetry question in which you have 1 1/2 hours to write them both.

The idea being that you spend the year reading a variety of texts in preparation for the exam as you don't know what will come up.

an example of a question from the drama section would be:

Choose a play which has the theme of revenge or betrayel or sacrifice.
show how the dramatist explores your chosen theme and discuss how this treatment enhances your appreciation of the play as a whole

and prose:

choose two short stories in which the aspects of the style contribute significantly to the exploration of the theme.
compare the ways in which stylistic features are used to create and maintain your interest in the central ideas of the text.

As you see the questions are open for your to choose a text to sit the question or rather choose a question which suits your text.

There's absolutely no garuntee that there will be a question to suit your chosen texts which is a problem if you only studied/prepared 2 texts for the exam.

For my English lit. A2 we had 2 exams

One was war poetry where you use background knowledge (other texts etc) as well as random texts given in the exam to answer 2 questions.

The other was Shakespeare and poetry. We spent the year studying a text. Then in the exam we had to answer 1 of a choice of 2 questions on that text. And then the same for poetry (songs of innocence and experience by william blake). You aren't allowed to take the texts into the exam.

So I guess more would be expected in your answer in our exams since you know what text it is?
Reply 36
Hello! Me again!

Firstly, it wasn't my fault! C'mon people! I'm the innocent one here (and the class, of course!) ! As for looking at the specs of whatever, I honestly don't recall getting anything (or in my other 3 lessons) - either that or I forgot (but i doubt that :wink: ). But we did get tones of past papers - but as someone rightly said, that just made us think that it was on there (since it was only taken of this year!). I think the teacher kinda took it for granted.

As for people blaming my teacher and saying he should be punished! Well it was very funny to read (I have a sick sense of humour). But I don't feel he should be "shot...twice" !!!!!! :smile: He made a mistake. That's it. Everyone makes mistakes. He's a really good teacher otherwise from that bit. I think he's actually punishing himself mentally really! He keeps apologising to us - which is really kind, but we forgave him already! Lol! But its still nice to hear someone beg for forgiveness.

As for the guy who suggested taking him to court. Hmm. Nice idea! I could do with a bit of money :smile: But no I wouldn't do that! I'm not mean.

Oh, and the mark that we get for the other play we get for the one we never did. So you know. Although I was stronger with "The Government Inspector" really.

And for the guy/girl who said Drama And Theatre Studies was "piss easy" I raise my middle finger to you, sir or mam :wink: You try it. The acting bit is fine - but writting on two plays, learning about a drama practitioner, and writing two essays in 25 mins (together!) on a 10 page (or more) script that you've never seen before and asked to direct / act in it - is a lot harder than you may think. So there!

:smile:
Reply 37
Although Drama by itself is "piss easy" !!!! :wink:
Reply 38
Same happened to me last year. Forgot to teach us "Making History" on LTA3.
Reply 39
for GCSE dance this year the teacher only taught them 3 dance works not the 4 they needed

Latest