The Student Room Group
Yh i herd the same thing but then someone told me that it is still on the specification :s-smilie: sorry i've just confused you even more
:s: I hope it's off the spec..
Reply 3
How Do You Start A Thread? ????????????
Reply 4
Lol ^^
Just checked the spec, it doesn't say anything about having to compare or contrast, but it didn't say that on the 2007 spec either?
Reply 6
What compare and contrast different models within one of the PYA5 questions?
Reply 7
It was on the paper few years ago. On depression, I think.
Reply 8
yeah like compare and contrast biology and psychology explanations of schiz.. thats wat im worried about!
Reply 9
My psychology teacher told me they're history.
Reply 10
to answer a compare and contrast question.
u have to outline biological theories, the outline psychological theories, you the compare them (similarities) and then contrast them (differences)
chap89
to answer a compare and contrast question.
u have to outline biological theories, the outline psychological theories, you the compare them (similarities) and then contrast them (differences)

Actually, that's not strictly true, you can answer them two ways, according to my psychology teacher -

The first way is -
1. Describe both therapies/disorders/whatever the question is on (A01)
2. Compare and contrast (A02)

The second is -
1. Describe the similarities and differences of the therapies/disorders/etc (A01)
2. Evaluate these similarities/differences (A02)

Supposedly the second one is easier (even though it looks more complicated), because if you just compare & contrast the techniques for A02 it's apparently harder to get A02 marks because it requires you to use words like strong/weak/validity/reliability/however/but/blahblah, whereas people tend to just describe differences instead which gains no A02 credit.

So we have been advised to go for method 2, where the evaluation side would basically require you to answer "how valid and reliable is the similarity/difference". For example, if the difference is that A is better than B because A has research to support it, for A02 you could say the research that supports A is flawed for x/y/z reason, thus the comparison is weak.

...If that made any sense at all. =/
Reply 12
are teacher has told us it is quite possible for it to come up on this paper for q3 treating mental disorders!
chloedp
are teacher has told us it is quite possible for it to come up on this paper for q3 treating mental disorders!

Don't say that :'(
Reply 14
Hispanic-Impressions
Actually, that's not strictly true, you can answer them two ways, according to my psychology teacher -

The first way is -
1. Describe both therapies/disorders/whatever the question is on (A01)
2. Compare and contrast (A02)

The second is -
1. Describe the similarities and differences of the therapies/disorders/etc (A01)
2. Evaluate these similarities/differences (A02)

Supposedly the second one is easier (even though it looks more complicated), because if you just compare & contrast the techniques for A02 it's apparently harder to get A02 marks because it requires you to use words like strong/weak/validity/reliability/however/but/blahblah, whereas people tend to just describe differences instead which gains no A02 credit.

So we have been advised to go for method 2, where the evaluation side would basically require you to answer "how valid and reliable is the similarity/difference". For example, if the difference is that A is better than B because A has research to support it, for A02 you could say the research that supports A is flawed for x/y/z reason, thus the comparison is weak.

...If that made any sense at all. =/

That's what annoys me (the bit in bold), because sometimes you can write a really good evaluative point, and if you don't start it with a certain word, despite the fact that the examiner clearly knows you're trying to make an A02 point, it cannot receive credit!! I can't remember exactly, but I have a feeling I didn't make all of my A02 points clear in the exam the other day, but I can't really remember. I would usually make it clear, but I got quite into the essays so wasn't really thinking A01 A02 A01 A02.

Latest

Trending

Trending