The Student Room Group
Reply 1
wouldnt it be kinda weird on you cos like you are doing two subject at one level and then doing 3 other in another subject.
the only way ive known people to do gcse's at college is if they flopped them and are redoing them in one year and THEN do a levels
Reply 2
I would say its completely pointless to do them. It may be enjoyable for you, but from your GCSE grade predictions its not going to strengthen you as an applicant for uni by having them, and taking up 5 very difficult AS levels aswell as taking 2 extra GCSEs is crazy - your workload is already going to be heavy with those A levels.

If you want to learn about astrology and economics, i would think you'd be better off doing background reading about it in your own time, cause in the grand scheme of things the qualifications you gain from it won't have a huge effect (if any) on anything for you, if you get what you're already predicted.
Reply 3
Sarahl89
I would say its completely pointless to do them. It may be enjoyable for you, but from your GCSE grade predictions its not going to strengthen you as an applicant for uni by having them, and taking up 5 very difficult AS levels aswell as taking 2 extra GCSEs is crazy - your workload is already going to be heavy with those A levels.

If you want to learn about astrology and economics, i would think you'd be better off doing background reading about it in your own time, cause in the grand scheme of things the qualifications you gain from it won't have a huge effect (if any) on anything for you, if you get what you're already predicted.

Many thanks, that was what I was looking for.
Reply 4
I'm taking a GCSE next year along with 4 AS levels- it's meant to be the same workload as Crit. thinking. it's japanese GCSE though, so pretty difficult and unique.
Reply 5
lharvest
Many thanks, that was what I was looking for.

No prob :smile:. And to answer your question, no i don't know anyone who has taken extra GCSEs alongside Alevels, i dont think anyone does that at my college - the only people i know doing GCSEs are those retaking the whole year cause they failed last!
Reply 6
Astrology GCSE?! Or is it Astronomy? If it's the former, the world really has gone mad!

I was going to teach myself GCSE German over the top of my A-levels but I decided against it.

Ultimately, if you want to do them for the sake of enjoyment, do so. Also if you think you can get A* grades in them, do so because that will strengthen your uni application. Otherwise, don't bother, because frankly their use is very limited past a certain point.
Reply 7
nuodai
Astrology GCSE?! Or is it Astronomy? If it's the former, the world really has gone mad!

I was going to teach myself GCSE German over the top of my A-levels but I decided against it.

Ultimately, if you want to do them for the sake of enjoyment, do so. Also if you think you can get A* grades in them, do so because that will strengthen your uni application. Otherwise, don't bother, because frankly their use is very limited past a certain point.

Apologies, it's Astronomy. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Additionally, I'm doing them for both, sake of enjoyment, also to strengthen my University Application; but at the end of the day I'm adament that my A-Levels are a priority, and I'd only be happy doing the GCSEs once I establish the required workload.
Reply 8
Noble.
Apologies, it's Astronomy. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Additionally, I'm doing them for both, sake of enjoyment, also to strengthen my University Application; but at the end of the day I'm adament that my A-Levels are a priority, and I'd only be happy doing the GCSEs once I establish the required workload.

What subject do you want to do at university?
Looking at your A level options im guessing medicine? If thats the case doing economics gcse really would be an added and needless stress. +its a very demanding gcse as it as and doing cos you're doing self-teach you may well end up with an A or lower which wouldnt strengthen your application.

Back to your a level options, you've pretty much picked the hardest 5 a levels on offer. Chem and Bio and Further Maths - you'll have enough time coping with these to then have to focus time on physics and normal maths.
I suggest you just focus on these, your gcses are more than fine to get an oxbridge interview etc.

Latest