The Student Room Group

History Homework Question

Im studying American Foreign Policy. Got up to end of WW2 and have to answer 2 questions for homework. 2nd one is easy but first one confuses in the sense that i dont know what to write.
It is: "What do you understand by the term superpower". I know it sounds easy but i dont quite know how to put it into words. Small bullet points on how to approach the question would be greatly appreciated.!!
Reply 1
A state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world, i.e:

"A superpower is a state with the ability to influence events or project power on a wide scale. In modern terms, this may imply an entity with a strong economy, a large population, and strong armed forces, including air power and satellite capabilities, and a huge arsenal of weapons of mass destruction. Superpowers often have colonies, or satellite states.

The term superpower appeared as a neologism in 1922. Prior to World War II, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Soviet Union, the United States, and the British Empire were sometimes labeled as superpowers, although the more common term was great powers.

After 1945 the victorious powers the Republic of China, France, the United Kingdom, the Soviet Union and the United States of America gained permanent seats and veto of the United Nations Security Council. But due to economic stresses, the loss of overseas colonial empires and civil war, not all of these states could maintain their relative hegemony.

As the Cold War developed, it became clear that only two indisputable superpowers remained: the United States and the Soviet Union. This situation lasted until the the political collapse of the Soviet Union circa 1991. "

Ref: http://www.free-definition.com/Superpowers.html

I love history, can't wait 'til we start the USA :biggrin:
Reply 2
Thanks very much mate. Trust me, ur gonna love American Foreign Policy. It is simply amazing
Reply 3
No problem, I hope it helped a little.
Woo! I'm sick of this bloody coursework that we're doing ATM...After this, we start USA stuff...

Latest

Trending

Trending