The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Energy needed to overcome coulomb force of repulsion when two protons near each other:

E= kQQ/r (note, single power of r)

That corresponds to the KE needed to be given to the fusing protons. How do you link temperature with energy?

E = 3/2 kT...........k being boltzman constant
Reply 21
Where can I find the Jan 2008 paper, I can't find it
Reply 22
Or June 07?
Reply 23
its a bit late for past papers now i think good luck everyone
how did everybody find it?! i thought it was ok, except the last synoptic question, i had no idea! recon i dropped at least half marks on th last question :-(
Reply 25
that synoptic question was a bugger. I hadn't a clue. Managed to scrape a few marks on it but not that many. Apart from that the paper was good. Better than I had expected. Think I've got an A, just whether it's good enough to compensate for forces, fields and energy. How did everyone else find it?
Reply 26
surface area of a sphere?!?!

aargh!
Reply 27
Just differentiate the equation for volume... ;p

It's also in the bottom part of Coulomb's law.
Reply 28
oh, without the epsilon nought? why didnt i see that before!

i remembered it was 'something pi r^2' ...........so i calculated pi r^2, divided the estimate value they gave by it........got 4.2..............so assumed that something mustve been 4....

God bless the 'prove etc etc is right' questions!
Reply 29
I thought we got off lightly with that paper. The last question wasn't too bad but I'm always struggling for time on physics papers.

I'm hoping this will pull my average up after my poor quality unifying concepts effort.

What did everyone get for the height of the fountain?
I think I got about 1.17m or 1.18
Reply 30
Yep, I got 1.2 to 2sf; thought it was pretty easy - no tough questions on synchotrons and accelerators, lots of simple Maths (loved all those on cyclotrons!) and many more "show that" then normal. The synoptic was straight forward and seemed to have lots of easy marks so very happy :smile:
Reply 31
bob_blob
I thought we got off lightly with that paper. The last question wasn't too bad but I'm always struggling for time on physics papers.

I'm hoping this will pull my average up after my poor quality unifying concepts effort.

What did everyone get for the height of the fountain?
I think I got about 1.17m or 1.18

11.8. I was in a rush :biggrin:
Reply 32
i got 0.0003m at first..........thought to myself "thats a really pathetic excuse for a fountain", then realised the output was given in m^3 per hour and not per second :P

1.18 in the end...........
Reply 33
It was an okay paper for me, and was suprised by the number of "Show" questions. The 10 marks for the 3 forces explanation was something new and different. :smile:
i think it was quite a fair paper. really glad that there was a lot of 'show that the answer is' questions, i think i got all, if not most mathematical questions right (except the height of the fountain, only glanced at it twice and i thought the question wud just be too hard)
Reply 35
any chance of anyone posting their answers for comparsion
Reply 36
Answers have been posted by teachercol here. :smile:
Reply 37
^^Cheers

Latest