The Student Room Group
You would just use Diathesis-Stress as a little evaluation point. It's particularly good for questions like "To what extent does the ......... approach explain ............"

For example, after talking about the concordance rates, and how they aren't 100%, you could talk about the diathesis-stress model, explaining while there may be a genetic disposition, it may require a psychological factor to trigger it, i.e. stress/trauma.
Reply 2
GodspeedGehenna
You would just use Diathesis-Stress as a little evaluation point. It's particularly good for questions like "To what extent does the ......... approach explain ............"

For example, after talking about the concordance rates, and how they aren't 100%, you could talk about the diathesis-stress model, explaining while there may be a genetic disposition, it may require a psychological factor to trigger it, i.e. stress/trauma.

You're gonna ace this exam, you know everything! Well done mate. :smile:
Reply 3
GodspeedGehenna

ahh thanks! i thought we might have needed to know it in more detail but obviously not.

also, i have lots of notes on the prognosis, different types of schizophrenia and the effect of urbanicity. are these relevant? obviously the last one will be if we're asked about the effects of the environment.. although, surely we'll get asked either psychological or biological explanations?
zzzzzoe
ahh thanks! i thought we might have needed to know it in more detail but obviously not.

also, i have lots of notes on the prognosis, different types of schizophrenia and the effect of urbanicity. are these relevant? obviously the last one will be if we're asked about the effects of the environment.. although, surely we'll get asked either psychological or biological explanations?

Yeah.. The essay will be either biological or psychological, or something like "Discuss to what extend psychological fully explains schizophrenia" or the other way round.

I dont think prognosis, or urbanicity will be relevant. Types of schizophrenia might possibly be relevant if they ask for clinical characteristics in a 5 or 10 mark question.
Reply 5
GodspeedGehenna
Yeah.. The essay will be either biological or psychological, or something like "Discuss to what extend psychological fully explains schizophrenia" or the other way round.

I dont think prognosis, or urbanicity will be relevant. Types of schizophrenia might possibly be relevant if they ask for clinical characteristics in a 5 or 10 mark question.

right! thanks.
i thought it seemed weird.. oh well.
Reply 6
I've always used the model as an evaluation or a concluding point - sums up the psychological and biological factors well.
^ Precisely. It sounds cheap; however (in particular if you have run out of other evaluation points!) this makes a nice conclusion to any essay, even if it is a somewhat cliché ending.

Genetic/biological pre-disposition to a disorder, coupled with environmental/psychological triggers-> onset of disorder. Simple, multi-factorial, conclusive and gets synoptic points.

:smile: The best of luck in your exam, by the way!

Latest

Trending

Trending