The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Pya5

I've got some questions :]

First of all i dont really understand how you get your AO2 marks for gender and cultural bias questions.

For example in this gender bias question
a) Describe two or more different types of cultural bias in psychology (15)

For this you'd just describe and give examples of stuff like ethnocentrism, historical bias, imposed etics, yeah?

b) Evaltuate two or more psychological theories in terms of their cultural bias (15)

But this part is confusing me. Like what do you talk about?

Another question... for ethical issues with human ppts.

in a question like this...
"Critically consider ethical issues that arise in psychological investigations involving human ppts'
would you structure your essay in terms of studies which had ethical issues, and then discuss them.

and then in a question like this...
Discuss two or more thical issues relating to psychological investigations involving human participants
would you structure your essay in terms of ethical issues, like harm, deception etc and then give examples and discuss these? Cos i think the way i said for the question above is much easier, cos usually several ethical issues arise in one study.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also, anyone got a essay plan/modle answer for socially sensitive research? :]
Reply 2
theres a thread on model answers that has the ones youre looking for.
Reply 3
for the second bit of culture bias i'd personally just write example of imposed etics, historical bias etc.

i think that would be right.

so not looking forward to this exam!
Reply 4
Rouz

b) Evaltuate two or more psychological theories in terms of their cultural bias (15)

But this part is confusing me. Like what do you talk about?

You take a psychological theory (two, even) such as Kholberg's theory of moral understanding, and explain how it is culturally biased. Does that help?
Reply 5
Cooro
You take a psychological theory (two, even) such as Kholberg's theory of moral understanding, and explain how it is culturally biased. Does that help?

Oh, i thought that was for the first part? So AO2 is always explaining how its bias?

So in the first part you just describe what it is and maybe say such as Freuds theory, and its in the 2nd part you elaborate?
Reply 6
Right, part a) Describe two or more different types of cultural bias in psychology (15)

You describe two types, such as Ethnocentrism or emic and etic constructs or something. Those are classed as types of cultural bias.

then, part b) I've already said, you take two psychological theories and explain how they are culturally biased. This incorporates AO1 (stating the theories) and AO2 (explaining how they are culturally biased).

Basically, it's two questions. They don't follow on from each other.
Reply 7
Cooro
Right, part a) Describe two or more different types of cultural bias in psychology (15)

You describe two types, such as Ethnocentrism or emic and etic constructs or something. Those are classed as types of cultural bias.

then, part b) I've already said, you take two psychological theories and explain how they are culturally biased. This incorporates AO1 (stating the theories) and AO2 (explaining how they are culturally biased).

Basically, it's two questions. They don't follow on from each other.

Ah i see now, thanks for your help!
Reply 8
No problem :smile:
Reply 9
Do you know the answer to my 2nd question lol :tongue:
Reply 10
I'll give it a shot :wink:

Rouz

Another question... for ethical issues with human ppts.

in a question like this...
"Critically consider ethical issues that arise in psychological investigations involving human ppts'
would you structure your essay in terms of studies which had ethical issues, and then discuss them.

No, you write about the sort of ethical issues that arise in research, such as informed consent, protection from harm, deception etc, and then give some examples for them e.g. Zimbardo, Milgram etc.

and then in a question like this...
Discuss two or more ethical issues relating to psychological investigations involving human participants
would you structure your essay in terms of ethical issues, like harm, deception etc and then give examples and discuss these? Cos i think the way i said for the question above is much easier, cos usually several ethical issues arise in one study.

No, you're right with this one. Write the issues first and then give the examples, like with the first one. The examples act as the AO2 in both cases.
Reply 11
Ohh thank you, it seems easier to describe studies and then say ethical issues though :[
Reply 12
Yeah, it seems it, but that's not what they're looking for. The ethical issues are the AO1 point, they want to make sure you know it, and then you expand the answer by giving them the examples of where those issues have arisen in the research.
Reply 13
So youd say like consent is an issue, briefly describe the guideline, then give an example in the study <-- thats all AO1

then for AO2 discuss whether is was justifiable kind of thing?
Reply 14
JAN 08 UNIT 5 QUESTIONS

Describe and evaluate ICD & DSM as approaches to the classification of psychological abnormality. (30)

a. Outline clinical characteristics of any one anxiety disorder. (5)
b. Discuss biological and psychological explanations of the anxiety disorder that you have outlined in part (a). (25)

a. Describe one behavioural therapy based on classical conditioning and one behavioural therapy based on operant conditioning. (5+5)
b. Discuss issues surrounding the use of behavioural therapies. (20)

a. Explain what is meant by the term gender bias. (5)
b. 'Bias in psychological research has distorted out understanding of male & female behaviour.' Discuss gender bias in psychological theories and/or studies. (25)

Discuss ethical issues involved in psychological investigation using human participants. Refer to at least three psychological studies in your answer. (30)

a. Explain what is meant by the term science. (5)
b. Outline and evaluate arguments for the claim the Psychology is a science. (25)

'It has been clear for some time that neither nature nor nurture alone can provide a complete explanation of human behaviour.'
Discuss assumptions made about the role of both nature and nurture influencing behaviour. Refer to psychological theories and/or studies in your answer. (30)

In terms of the issues questions, it seems like your putting time into something that's fairly unlikely to even come up, im obviously not saying dismiss it completely, but i think cultural bias or ssr are strong contenders...
Reply 15
Well, if you take consent as your example, you'd say something like informed consent is an issue in psychological research, the idea being that the researcher must get informed consent from their participants prior to the experiment, and then mention something like Zimbardo's prison study lacking informed consent. That's pretty much all you'd need to write for that kind of thing (although in more detail obviously)
Reply 16
Plus since there's not much time left, if you were to put effort into specific topics it would be those (culture & ssr), and then a very simple recap over the one's that came in jan would be my advice...
Reply 17
Thanks kiz, i didnt realise gender and ethics came up in jan!
Reply 18
Wonder if someonee coulh help with question on individual differences?

Outline two psychological explanations of schizophrenia. (15 Marks)

To what extent can we explain schizoprenia due to purely psychological explanations? (15 marks)

How would i answer this?

So far i've outline both the conginitive and behavioural models for part A, but do i include supporting reseach in a + b? and what should i put in b? do i include research that supports a biological factor such as family/twin and adoption studies?

Any help would be really appreciated! its panic time
k17_x
Wonder if someonee coulh help with question on individual differences?

Outline two psychological explanations of schizophrenia. (15 Marks)

To what extent can we explain schizoprenia due to purely psychological explanations? (15 marks)

How would i answer this?

So far i've outline both the conginitive and behavioural models for part A, but do i include supporting reseach in a + b? and what should i put in b? do i include research that supports a biological factor such as family/twin and adoption studies?

Any help would be really appreciated! its panic time

Two psychological explnations would be: psychodynamic, cognitive or social, just explain those

Then the second one is saying basically give bioloigical side as well, which is
gentics (twin, family, adoption) Brain biochemistry (dopamine hypothesis etc)

Latest

Trending

Trending