The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
:smile: Lol! Aww ok then...
Acaila
I'm unsure which I prefer. I've just recently finished writing, directing and acting in my own play and it was certainly challenging (I suppose normally I wouldn't be doing all three plus organisational stuff, but I had to for my Higher). However some shows I just love the ideas behind, and would like to put my own spin on it e.g. I just started studying Antigone and I've got all these mad ideas about a greek chorus of tabloid journalists and things like that :biggrin:.
Regarding the scene changes, my teacher said that it can be done quite simply using lighting - warm lighting with oranges, pinks and yellows for Egypt and very sharp cold blue and white lighting for Rome. I'd probably be tempted to go for very simplistic reusable pieces of set for it. The nasty scene would be when Antony is being hoisted up to Cleopatra's monument, but I've seen it done badly *cough* BBC television Shakespeare *cough* and would make sure to have some serious thought on it.
All that said, I do love my acting :biggrin: Nothing like playing good old Laertes in Hamlet (nothing like some crossdressing for that matter :biggrin:)

I'm not an English applicant btw :biggrin: Social and Political Sciences is my course (mine! my own! my precious!!!!) and I've applied to the land of red brick castles, squirrels and en suites! (aka Robinson). Are you Trinity?

Yes - lighting is always good. I was co-directing Woyzeck at school and we had to drown a character. Just put a wavey blue light across the stage - worked wonders! :biggrin:

Ah SPS. Phew - I think I'd be worried if you were English - you know your stuff! Yeah - Trinity. Looks so nice... :frown:
Reply 22
Awwww :biggrin:

Don't worry, Higher English is enough to put anybody studying English at uni! I love literature, but there's no way I could study Advanced Higher so probably I wouldn't quite suit a degree. I tend to have strong views on texts either way i.e. I hated pretty much everything we did last year because my teacher picked what she liked and it was all wishy washy depressing pretentious rubbish that we had to read into a hideous level. I did in the end beg her for some Saki and Browning (ooooooh dramatic monologues) because we did them at standard grade and loved them. Ended up that of the 11 texts we studied, the only ones I prepared for the exam were ones I'd studied already and drama (A&C) which I'm pretty much guaranteed to love.
Have you read any Saki out of interest?
Acaila
Awwww :biggrin:

Don't worry, Higher English is enough to put anybody studying English at uni! I love literature, but there's no way I could study Advanced Higher so probably I wouldn't quite suit a degree. I tend to have strong views on texts either way i.e. I hated pretty much everything we did last year because my teacher picked what she liked and it was all wishy washy depressing pretentious rubbish that we had to read into a hideous level. I did in the end beg her for some Saki and Browning (ooooooh dramatic monologues) because we did them at standard grade and loved them. Ended up that of the 11 texts we studied, the only ones I prepared for the exam were ones I'd studied already and drama (A&C) which I'm pretty much guaranteed to love.
Have you read any Saki out of interest?

No. 'fraid not. And very little Browning...

Is it good? What's a good first bit to read?
Reply 24
Browning - Porphyria's Lover, but most especially the wondrous poem that is My Last Duchess (I could go on forever about that poem. Sooooo good!)
Saki - pretty much anything. His style is soooo economical that there's just tons of things you can analyse and write about, but rather than detracting from the impact, it just adds to it! He has great narrative hooks and the absolute best whipcrack endings. Stories that I've enjoyed by him include Mrs. Packletide's Tiger, Sredni Vashtar (the one I did for Higher), the Interlopers and basically anything else of his I've read. Mrs. Packletide's Tiger might be a good one to start off with. I think it was the second one I read. I'll see if I can find some links :smile:
Acaila
Browning - Porphyria's Lover, but most especially the wondrous poem that is My Last Duchess (I could go on forever about that poem. Sooooo good!)
Saki - pretty much anything. His style is soooo economical that there's just tons of things you can analyse and write about, but rather than detracting from the impact, it just adds to it! He has great narrative hooks and the absolute best whipcrack endings. Stories that I've enjoyed by him include Mrs. Packletide's Tiger, Sredni Vashtar (the one I did for Higher), the Interlopers and basically anything else of his I've read. Mrs. Packletide's Tiger might be a good one to start off with. I think it was the second one I read. I'll see if I can find some links :smile:

Great - thanks! I read an extract from Browning about a nutty monk. Ring a bell?
Reply 26
EDIT: Hmmm not familiar I'm afraid. But Porphyria's Lover.....more nutty than a bag of brazil nuts!

Sredni Vashtar (so very typical of Saki, only a little bit darker) - http://www.users.bigpond.com/burnside/sredni.htm
Mrs. Packletide's Tiger - http://www.users.bigpond.com/burnside/packletide.htm
Acaila
EDIT: Hmmm not familiar I'm afraid. But Porphyria's Lover.....more nutty than a bag of brazil nuts!

Sredni Vashtar (so very typical of Saki, only a little bit darker) - http://www.users.bigpond.com/burnside/sredni.htm
Mrs. Packletide's Tiger - http://www.users.bigpond.com/burnside/packletide.htm

Thanks!
Reply 28
Hehe I thought you'd got lost! :biggrin:
Acaila
Hehe I thought you'd got lost! :biggrin:

Having multiple MSN conversations :rolleyes:

I should be reading!

Latest