The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
to be honest i am not prepared for these essays at all, we did them very late in the year, about 3 weeks before study leave and i hadnt revised my synoptic so was finding them pretty difficult! i think im gonna learn all my synoptic and then read through the essays my teacher gave me, hoping its one of them!

Oh and btw, the other night i was reading through BYB1 and skipped digestion.. that night i had a dream the essay question was about digestion and all i could think to write was about extracellular digestion by secreting enzymes to digest and absorb the products.. lol :eek:
Digestion would be alright.

Channel proteins
Diffusion
ActiveTransport
Villi - Increased SA

Proteins - Exo - endo peptidase - Amino acids
Lipids - Gycerol + Fatty acids
Carbo + Amylase ---> sugars oligasaccarides - peptidisaccarides - tri saccarides - disaccarides - mono sacaaradies

Saprophytic digestion - extracellular

etc.... would be to hard I dont think?
Reply 3
digestion is very smalll, and was only covered in AS, they would normally ask a fairly wide essay!!

p.s. any hints on how to write an essay? as i have no esssay structured exams,,im doomed!..
Reply 4
We haven't done any essay practise. Our teacher just got us to do essay plans, which I think is quite a good idea. Once you have the plan and the knowledge, all you have to do is write it down basically. Should be okay given a good topic I think. The essay's in the synoptic isn't it, rather than the microbes module...?
Reply 5
yes..in the synoptic area! after the biological molecules thingy magig
Reply 6
What are the ages we get the different vaccinations? Some sources say different things...
Reply 7
i doubt they would ask us that!!
Reply 8
They do...
Reply 9
Krazof
They do...

really? ive seen them ask what type of vaccination each one is etc..! but never what age! i think it may be in my text book! if i find out i shall post you (:
It's so annoying when what you put is right on the past papers but it's not on the mark scheme. We're not mind readers :mad:
tell me about it. Just finished a past paper.

Name two precautions used in transferring bacteria etc.

Flame the transer ring to sterlise
Flame the tubes to create convection current and reduce number of foriegn organisms contaminating host meduim

OOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOO

despite not say DIFFERENT

apperntly the answers are

flaming
using sterile equipment

so you cant say flaming of different equipment for different reasons.... nice one... its illogical..?!? sometimes??
Reply 12
jtcl2606

Flame the tubes to create convection current and reduce number of foriegn organisms contaminating host meduim

OOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOO

flaming
using sterile equipment

so you cant say flaming of different equipment for different reasons.... nice one... its illogical..?!? sometimes??

i would have said, use sterile equiptment and reduce the time of transfer, so equiptment is not in contact with air too long, so as to reduce potential infection (cant think of the word!!!!!!!)
you would have got two marks... jsut saying that they didnt put different but expect different answers its not rocket science but it is incredibly frustrating!!!!!!
Reply 14
haha! i understand what your saying! just go over every past paper, and know everything properly!!!!!
jtcl2606

OOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOO

flaming
using sterile equipment

Hang on, doesn't 'flaming the transfer ring to sterilise' cover all of what the mark scheme requires? :s-smilie: I would have thought so.

I'm dreading the synoptic essay. My teacher's taught us to consider ten main areas of Biology and try to write something for five to seven of them to get the breadth. He's not really told us anything about the level of detail we need to include though - eek. Does anyone have any example synoptic essays that they've been given for a rough idea of what you'd need to include to get each grade?
Reply 16
Ziggy_Stardust
Hang on, doesn't 'flaming the transfer ring to sterilise' cover all of what the mark scheme requires? :s-smilie: I would have thought so.

I'm dreading the synoptic essay. My teacher's taught us to consider ten main areas of Biology and try to write something for five to seven of them to get the breadth. He's not really told us anything about the level of detail we need to include though - eek. Does anyone have any example synoptic essays that they've been given for a rough idea of what you'd need to include to get each grade?

ive been taught to do 4 topics because the scientific knoledge is out of 16, 4 marks for each topic!! and if you do 2 topics from AS and 2 from A2 then you should look to be getting breadth???!!!!
Also, is there anyone that has to think whether they mean to say synoptic or synaptic everytime they come to speak about this paper, or is that just me? :redface:
boffin_89
ive been taught to do 4 topics because the scientific knoledge is out of 16, 4 marks for each topic!! and if you do 2 topics from AS and 2 from A2 then you should look to be getting breadth???!!!!

Hm, maybe. See, if you're writing about any more than four or five, you might not be able to go into sufficient detail about each of the topics you talk about. I'm thinking I might try and write in detail about four or five, and then just briefly acknowledge anything else I can think of.
Reply 19
i thought it was 8 points, 2 marks each :|
id better get revising.

Latest