The Student Room Group

Application for DPhil/PhD - do I get in?

Hi folks

I will apply for a DPhil in Oxford and a PhD in Cambridge, LSE and Kings.

This is my profile:

German Diplom (equiv. to MSc): Distinction (best student in class)
MSc from LSE: 67% (top 5 out of 33 students)

3 awards/scholarships so far

2.5 years part time work in research institutes in Germany
2 years full time work in London in consultancy

I have already written a proposal. At all universities I apply for I have a potential supervisor who supports me. I have met with all of them in person and they seem to like my proposal.

What do you think are my chances to get in?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!
Jan
Reply 1
If you've already been in touch with people who have read your proposal and would be willing to supervise your project, I'd say your chances should be pretty high.
Reply 2
Even if I do not have more than 70% in my Masters? How much weight does the admissions office place on grades vs. a potential supervisor supporting an application?
Reply 3
JanPelle
Even if I do not have more than 70% in my Masters? How much weight does the admissions office place on grades vs. a potential supervisor supporting an application?

How on earth should I know?:dontknow:
But for what it's worth, I've never heard of anyone getting a DPhil offer from Oxford (or any other university, for that matter) which was actually conditional on a distinction on the master's degree; there may be exceptions, but to the best of my knowledge, the standard condition is a pass. So I suppose they can't really consider a distinction all that vital, otherwise they'd have made it a requirement. Not having one probably will have an effect on your chances of getting research council funding, though.
Reply 4
JanPelle
Hi folks

I will apply for a DPhil in Oxford and a PhD in Cambridge, LSE and Kings.

This is my profile:

German Diplom (equiv. to MSc): Distinction (best student in class)
MSc from LSE: 67% (top 5 out of 33 students)

3 awards/scholarships so far

2.5 years part time work in research institutes in Germany
2 years full time work in London in consultancy

I have already written a proposal. At all universities I apply for I have a potential supervisor who supports me. I have met with all of them in person and they seem to like my proposal.

What do you think are my chances to get in?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!
Jan

They will be more interested in your ordinal ranking than your cardinal ranking. And LSE is obviously a top top place for econ.
So your chances look good to me!

What nationality are you?
Because as you probably know already ESRC grants for non-UK citizens are fees only.
Paulwhy

What nationality are you?
Because as you probably know already ESRC grants for non-UK citizens are fees only.

Nah, not true anymore. Obviously only EU citizens and residents are eligible to apply, but if you're an EU citizen you now get the full fees and maintenance like the British applicants. They changed the rules this year.

However if the OP wants to lay their hands on pretty much any kind of funding they'll have to be a 2009 applicant, since most of the deadlines went by in Jan/Feb.
Reply 6
IlexAquifolium
Nah, not true anymore. Obviously only EU citizens and residents are eligible to apply, but if you're an EU citizen you now get the full fees and maintenance like the British applicants. They changed the rules this year.

However if the OP wants to lay their hands on pretty much any kind of funding they'll have to be a 2009 applicant, since most of the deadlines went by in Jan/Feb.

Only if you've been living in the UK for three years.
hobnob

I should have made that clearer than 'residents'. Cheers. :wink:
Reply 8
IlexAquifolium
I should have made that clearer than 'residents'. Cheers. :wink:

Well, "residents" can apply as well, of course - it's just that if they've been "residing" within the EU but outside the UK, they're only eligible for the fees-only award.:wink:
hobnob
Well, "residents" can apply as well, of course - it's just that if they've been "residing" within the EU but outside the UK, they're only eligible for the fees-only award.:wink:

Aye, indeed. I really ought to be able to rattle this stuff off having just read the 80-page brochure 'o rubbish they force you to imbibe, and yet, I can't.

:smile:
Reply 10
hobnob

So it all depends on the order the OP did his work experience.
Crazy.
Reply 11
Paulwhy
So it all depends on the order the OP did his work experience.
Crazy.

Crazy indeed. But unless I completely misunderstood the criteria, that's how it works.
Reply 12
Thanks for your answers!

The councils require 3 years residence in the UK (which I will have by then). Funding is another issue which will be tough. Getting in is worrying me first, funding comes afterwards. I hope to get a couple of offers and tell my potential supervisors that I need funding and cannot start without it. A friend of mine did it like that and got funding in the end.

Let's see what happens. It is certainly a lot of work to apply for a PhD and organise funding. Hope it pays of in the end.
Reply 13
well assuming the new rule is 3 years then you are eligible for ESRC funding which help a lot easy! i.e. that makes it a lot easier

Latest

Trending

Trending