The Student Room Group

French A2 Unit 6c - Writing in Registers WORD LIMIT!!!

How are you supposed to write a balanced, detailed essay in 230-250 words?
Does anyone have any advice on what is essential to put in and what should be left out, and how to make it concise?

Is this a good structure?
Introduction - explain the issue and a bit of background, what points you are going to make etc

One side - eg advantages

Other side - disadvantages

Conclusion

These take up more than 250 words EACH

PLEASE HELP!!!
thanks
Yeah it's dumb, but your introduction literally has to be one sentence, each argument being 100 words or so and then another sentence to conclude. It's ridiculous the way they've done it but you just have to deal with it.
Reply 2
The West Wing
Yeah it's dumb, but your introduction literally has to be one sentence, each argument being 100 words or so and then another sentence to conclude. It's ridiculous the way they've done it but you just have to deal with it.

Are you sure the introduction has to be ONE sentence? How do you know?
Because I will do exactly that tomorrow in my essay if so.
coren111
Are you sure the introduction has to be ONE sentence? How do you know?
Because I will do exactly that tomorrow in my essay if so.

Well there are no hard and fast rules, and there isn't exactly an authoritative guide to doing the essay. Just make sure your introduction is brief because the main marks are for argument, not for structure.
Reply 4
The West Wing
Well there are no hard and fast rules, and there isn't exactly an authoritative guide to doing the essay. Just make sure your introduction is brief because the main marks are for argument, not for structure.

OK thanks for that.
Would an introduction with a memorised phrase or two be ok.
Such as:
En jetant un coup d'oeil aux journaux quotidiens, il est clair que le problème de X nous concerne beaucoup.

Do I not need to outline the arguments/offer some background/explanation or does that suffice?
Or what did you mean by a one-sentence introduction?
coren111
OK thanks for that.
Would an introduction with a memorised phrase or two be ok.
Such as:
En jetant un coup d'oeil aux journaux quotidiens, il est clair que le problème de X nous concerne beaucoup.

Do I not need to outline the arguments/offer some background/explanation or does that suffice?
Or what did you mean by a one-sentence introduction?

I wouldn't bother outlining the arguments, you don't have the words for it. That sounds fine for an introduction.
In the introduction, you just set out the background with like one or two sentences.

My teacher drilled it into our heads that your intro and conclusion must be 10% each of the essay. So the main body will be 80%!

I'm so nervous about tomorrow! :frown:
Reply 7
Anyone considering to do any Task-Based ones at all? =/
Reply 8
Reply 9
FinalFinish
Anyone considering to do any Task-Based ones at all? =/

no

Latest