The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Nans
The Cambridge prospectus says that the minimum mat requirements are: english, a language other than english............etc at GCSE

What happens if u don't satisfy these conditions? eg. u don't have another language other than english at gcse.

thanx

I assume that you don't get in; that certainly used to be the case. i knew a vet who had to take a year out in order to pass GCSE French so she could matriculate.
Reply 2
i think they *can* theoretically make exceptions but i don't know of anyone in that position
Reply 3
taking a foreign language at gcse used to be compulsory in schools didn't it? but i'm sure it isn't anymore, so i wouldn't worry, they'll have to amend the rules to deal with that. having said that, most cambridge courses are pretty big on foreign lang learning- historiansm, engineers and english students in my college are all doing some sort of language courseas part of their main degree.
Reply 4
priya
taking a foreign language at gcse used to be compulsory in schools didn't it? but i'm sure it isn't anymore, so i wouldn't worry, they'll have to amend the rules to deal with that. having said that, most cambridge courses are pretty big on foreign lang learning- historiansm, engineers and english students in my college are all doing some sort of language courseas part of their main degree.

The Cambridge matriculation requirement existed before there was a national curriculum with compulsory subjects so there is no reason to think that they will change it, unless the new access regulator thinks it discriminates against state school pupils.

Latin used to be a requirement too; don't think that would hold up today.
Reply 5
In my case... I have apply to Cambridge this year and I have GCSE English 2nd Language and Spanish 1st Language! Would that be a problem? I also mentioned in my PS that I have or have had lessons of French and Japanese
Reply 6
nah that isn't going to matter, as longas you have done some english to a reasonable level, which you have. how else would hundreds of international applicants get into cam?

Latest

Trending

Trending