The Student Room Group

French grammar question

Just a quick question for the Frenchies. When you say 'let's do whatever', you take the nous form of the verb. So you say: 'allons au patinoire' for 'let's go to the ice rink'. Or 'faisons nos devoirs' for 'let's do our homework'.

So, how do you negate this? How do you say, 'let's not do our homework'?

'Ne faisons pas nos devoirs'?
'Faisons pas nos devoirs'?
'Ne faisons nos devoirs'?

The top one seems the most logical; est-ce que quelqu'un puisse me l'expliquer?
Reply 1
wes
The first one is correct grammatically.

The second is commonly used in spoken French - the ne tends to disappear.

The third is an archaïc way to write from the old days when ne on its own was a complete negation. (there are still a few verbs that can work like that, though, eg. savoir).

could you help me with this s.v.p?

une autre raison pourquoi/pour laquelle certaines personnes sont d'accord avec le revers de la médaille est que..."

should it be "pourquoi" or "pour laquelle"?
wes
The first one is correct grammatically.

The second is commonly used in spoken French - the ne tends to disappear.

The third is an archaïc way to write from the old days when ne on its own was a complete negation. (there are still a few verbs that can work like that, though, eg. savoir).

Wes, you are brilliant. :smile: Thanks.
No no no you can't use Pourquoi in this situation, it's the whole reason "pour laquelle" exists!

It's like saying "I will do what I want" can be either "Je ferai ce que je veux" or "Je ferai quoi je veux". You just can't!
Reply 4
Transatlanticdrawl_
No no no you can't use Pourquoi in this situation, it's the whole reason "pour laquelle" exists!

It's like saying "I will do what I want" can be either "Je ferai ce que je veux" or "Je ferai quoi je veux". You just can't!

thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending