The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tekp
Yeah good point :smile:

So you know with the stages.. I've just read about them (http://www.victorianweb.org/science/freud/develop.html). Would you talk about regression as the defence mechanism to go back to one of the stages because of external stress etc?

And do I have this right, roughly:

Oral stage - obsession with pleasure, putting things in the mouth.. anything else? :/
Anal stage - either excreting faeces at inappropriate times (if parents allow this it leads to being really messy, disorganised and rebellious etc) or holds it as long as possible (leads to neatness, orderliness etc)
Phallic stage - the whole oedipus/electra conflict
Latency period - like a break from all the sexual-ness where children kind of relax for a bit and do other stuff
Genital stage - basically puberty?

Have I got that right? :/

Yep.

There are also lots of other defence mechanisms other than Repression such as Projection, Rationalization, Reaction Formation, and Displacement
tekp
Yeah good point :smile:

So you know with the stages.. I've just read about them (http://www.victorianweb.org/science/freud/develop.html). Would you talk about regression as the defence mechanism to go back to one of the stages because of external stress etc?

And do I have this right, roughly:

Oral stage - obsession with pleasure, putting things in the mouth.. anything else? :/
Anal stage - either excreting faeces at inappropriate times (if parents allow this it leads to being really messy, disorganised and rebellious etc) or holds it as long as possible (leads to neatness, orderliness etc)
Phallic stage - the whole oedipus/electra conflict
Latency period - like a break from all the sexual-ness where children kind of relax for a bit and do other stuff
Genital stage - basically puberty?

Have I got that right? :/

Yup, all of that's right, but with the anal stage there's also the aspect of control as well.
Reply 22
Oooh..

For behavioural, just think of experiments such as the SLT one by Bandura, or try and make a human version of Skinner's experiments on operant conditioning, or Pavlov's classical conditioning.

For biological, think concordance rates, adoption studies, longitudinal studies etc..

Psychodynamic tend to be based on case studies, dream interpretation and all that nonsense.

Useful ^_^ thanks :biggrin:

Yeah I'm doing psychopathology too :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=607045 :biggrin: its going okay :/ meh.. I find it hard to remember all the biological stuff, like, the concordance rates between twins/families/adoption studies etc.. but apart from that it should be alright :smile:
Reply 23
yea, oral stage is also about if you were over or under fed as a child, it leads to problems later in life blah blah lol.

do you know the approx ages that they all happen?
Reply 24
tekp
Can anyone briefly explain to me how you would explain these four cases each with two different approaches? It can literally be a sentence, just any vague idea.. thanks :/

"Sometimes students delay writing up homework or revising for examinations even though they want to succeed and achieve high grades. Instead, they may go out with friends, watch television or even do things that they would not normally do, such as tidying their room or doing the washing up. This tendency to put off tasks, in this case homework or examination revision, is called procrastination."
"Lots of people find it very difficult to throw away any of their possessions. When people hang on to their possessions in this way it is called hoarding. Some people hoard old letters, clothes, childhood toys, etc, and become irritated with friends or partners who try to persuade them to get rid of things which they do not use any more."

"Some people feel that it is important to have clothes and electronic gadgets that carry famous brand names. Such people value possessions with so-called "designer labels" and like to show them off. They pay high prices for them even though they could buy similar items much more cheaply if they did not care so much about the labels."

"Medicine is a very popular subject at university, even though the entry standards are high and the courses are long and challenging. In spite of these difficulties, many A-Level students decide to apply for these courses because they wish to become doctors. Young people are often attracted to the idea of becoming a doctor because it is perceived not only as a caring profession but also one of high status and potentially high earnings."

Thanks a bunch.. if any it's this part of the exam that will let me down :/

Behavioural- SLT; Students have learned through peers and siblings etc that procrastination is a good approach.
Operant Conditioning: Going out with friends etc is immediate reward whereas exams and essay's aren't rewarded instantantly. Therefore you are more likely to procrastinate.
Classical Conditioning: Students have negative associations with exams etc and procrastinate to aviod it.

Psychodynamic- Students are anally fixated they are unorganised and messy and cannot concentrate and therfore procrastinate. They could also unconciously blame their teacher for the anxiety the exam is causing them and procrastinate as a way of punishment to the teacher.
Reply 25
Nope :/ (as in I don't know the ages)

Oh yeah, it said about that lol, I just kind of ignored it :P so if you're underfed as a child then it leads to "pessimism, envy, suspicion and sarcasm" and if you're fed sufficiently it leads to being "optimistic, gullible, full of admiration for others around him"?

Aspect of control, right :smile:

Yep I have a joyous sheet on all the defence mechanisms :biggrin: makes me happy ^_^

They could also unconciously blame their teacher for the anxiety the exam is causing them and procrastinate as a way of punishment to the teacher.

Ooh clever, good point :smile: thanks :smile:
Reply 27
Ooh mark schemes :biggrin: thanks :smile:
Reply 28
Okay, I've made a word document of all the past questions and answers for approaches :smile: just the part a questions :smile: I'll upload it on a separate thread so people can find it easier..

Gave me something to do to pretend I was revising :P hehe.
Reply 29
tekp
Thanks Emilina :biggrin:

I figured that for the first one but didn't know if it was right.. :smile: could you also do the idea of denial in psychodynamic theory? As in.. they deny the fact they have exams because it's too stressful etc. ?

And I thought evolutionary for the last one, as in - they want to appear more attractive to the opposite sex for a better mate so they get the highest paid/most successful job etc?

*So* don't remember all the stages for the psychodynamic model, eek! :frown: I need to think of another explanation for the hoarding one 'cause I'm not gonna be able to remember that lol :P

You can desribe it in terms of evolutionary approach due to the fact, that thin they may be usefu for a shortage therefore aiding survivial.
Or use biological approach and say that may be a genetic link of anxiety discorders i.e that it is due to OCD.

Also for 4, you couls use classical conditioning, saying that the high status associatiate with becoming a doctor therefore strive to do this. Also you coul use reinforcement, such as the sense of acheivemen they feel for gaining qualifications and getting ar. Or SLT as they could have parents who are doctors, or read in the media about the great work that doctors do atually dont know about that?

Latest

Trending

Trending