The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

People saying that it would be impossible to fit in a part-time job with academic work... note that people who do rowing or varsity level sport, edit a paper, Union officers etc can easily be spending 30+ hours a week doing that on top of academic work.
Reply 41
Jools
People saying that it would be impossible to fit in a part-time job with academic work... note that people who do rowing or varsity level sport, edit a paper, Union officers etc can easily be spending 30+ hours a week doing that on top of academic work.

no; people are saying it's not allowed by the university (not that it's impossible). I agree with your point though.
Toni Mag
no; people are saying it's not allowed by the university (not that it's impossible). I agree with your point though.

I was referring to:
naelse
the terms are just so short and hectic that it's impossible to fit a job in

MadNatSci
Having a part time job during term-time would kill you to be honest!
Reply 43
when people have said it's hectic or busy.. i think they're figuring in extra-curriculars as a given on top of the academic work..

& i said, in my case in order to underatke employment, my extra-curriculars/social life would have to give because i don't really have much "spare" time.

& i wouldn't want to do that, because i think whilst at uni playing sport & being involved in other things is more important than having marginally less debt & i may as well just work full time over the summer. :smile:
Yeah fair enough, I was suggesting that the time people spend doing sport etc someone else could easily spend doing a part time job. You really shouldn't worry about debt, if you work over the vacations you'll be fine. eg £5/hr pub work in the evenings over this Christmas vac will give you ~£700.
It would kill me! I've barely left the library except to sing in the choir, and that's 10 hrs a week - enough for a little job, perhaps, but even choir is impinging on the work I'd like to be doing.. Or maybe I'm just a bit overenthusiastic this year? :confused:
Jools

And even if an individual was to do such an activity on top of 30 hours a week academic work, it would still be quite possible to earn £60 a week through part time work and not become a complete social recluse .
Elles
are you going out enough, dear..? :tongue:

have failed to get in touch with my medsoc children thus far.. i could adopt you.. :wink:

I do need to get out more. I never actually paid my MedSoc subs and my family never even got in contact with me. I'd love to have you :smile:
Reply 48
InterCity125
I do need to get out more. I never actually paid my MedSoc subs and my family never even got in contact with me. I'd love to have you :smile:

yay! well, in our defence, we never found at who our offspring were till v late on & then just on a list on the MSTC board & then our term has been hectic since..so.. :redface:

but i now consider you adopted. bonding must now ensue.. :biggrin: oh & you have another 'mother' we're an alternative type unit.. i must email the other children we have to arrange something.. & if you fancy PM-ing me your uni email addy (ooh..am i a dangerous internet weirdo who wnats to stalk you..? :wink: ) can stick you into our family along with some other first years you prob. won't know..
NDGAARONDI
It could be an illegal contract. I doubt students would know if the contract is legal or not. May be this clause contravenes EU rules, who knows.

Oh yeah: University in move to encourage focus of students on academic studies shock! Maybe any sane minded individual would realise that in restricting employment the universities are doing people a favour.

I have found that Ox and Cam are actuallly very hush hush about the employment opportunities within the college- most colleges seem to have bar and library slots, for example.

I know loads of people going for medicine who intend to take part-time jobs, and it just won't materialise due to lack of time. I know that if I get (please god I hope so) a Cam offer, I won't be able to make these allowances.
tomcoolinguk
I have found that Ox and Cam are actuallly very hush hush about the employment opportunities within the college- most colleges seem to have bar and library slots, for example.

With respect, it's hardly a state secret. My college made it clear to me once I got there that they offer jobs to students working for the college - the reason they don't mention it beforehand is because there's no point; considering the people who require to know will be at the welcome meeting anyway.
tomcoolinguk
Oh yeah: University in move to encourage focus of students on academic studies shock! Maybe any sane minded individual would realise that in restricting employment the universities are doing people a favour.

I understand that. You could have also quoted BazTheMoney's prose on the being snotty using the HRA but failed... :rolleyes:
Reply 52
Jools
I was referring to:

quite right Jools. SORRY
Aaron, no she isn’t registered with the site yet… Actually, that works quite well. Picking up on Toni’s point, it means that she and I have alternative sources of information to compare. She gets her information from wherever school, friends etc. and I get mine from here. Toni: you’ll see from the other threads I started, I’m trying to walk the fine line between ‘supporting’ and ‘directing’. She’s doing preparation/thinking/decision-making her way, and seems to be doing a good job at it: my purpose is to try to be somewhat knowledgeable so that if she asks a question, I can help her better than if I knew nothing and if she says/does something, I’ll perhaps have an alternative point of view or different knowledge that she can compare with her own.

I’ve enjoyed the discussion about cost of living. Of course, way back when, students weren’t under the same financial pressures as they are now, but it was still a challenge to manage. Holiday jobs pretty much generated the income required but even so, I rapidly discovered that the local branch of Hillards supermarket did cheese pieces and bacon pieces for a fraction of the cost of the real thing. Thus macaroni cheese with a crisp bacon/cheese topping became a staple of my diet, also spaghetti baconaise, cheese and bacon sandwiches, bacon stew you get the picture…
ian-in-northamp

I’ve enjoyed the discussion about cost of living. Of course, way back when, students weren’t under the same financial pressures as they are now, but it was still a challenge to manage. Holiday jobs pretty much generated the income required but even so, I rapidly discovered that the local branch of Hillards supermarket did cheese pieces and bacon pieces for a fraction of the cost of the real thing. Thus macaroni cheese with a crisp bacon/cheese topping became a staple of my diet, also spaghetti baconaise, cheese and bacon sandwiches, bacon stew you get the picture…

On a tangent, does anyone know how many Sainsbury 88p Lasagnes it is safe to eat in a week?? :biggrin: Actually thinking about it, pasta and toasties are about all I eat outside hall, as there is no oven in my staircase.

Regarding living costs, I had set myself a pretty strict budget, but found in freshers term this goes out the window, as your first few weeks contain so many one-off expenses. Will be better able to judge exactly how far the money goes next term!

Latest

Trending

Trending