The Student Room Group

Some questions about application

I read about the cambridge admission and it is stated on their website that

Affiliated students

If you are a graduate with an approved degree from another university, you can apply to take a Cambridge BA course as an affiliated student. This means you could take the degree in a year less than usual. Most Colleges admit some affiliated students. Some Colleges do not admit affiliated students for Architecture, and only Lucy Cavendish, St Edmund’s and Wolfson consider affiliated applications for Medicine or Veterinary Medicine.

To make a formal application you need to submit a UCAS application. Applicants from countries outside the EU will also need to complete a Cambridge Overseas Application Form (COAF).

What does this mean?
Does it mean that if I have a degree from a university, I can apply to Cambridge and I will study one year less than usual ? For example, the mathematics course takes 3 years, but if I apply as an affiliated student then it will take 2 years only?

Does it also mean that I cannot take the same major like I did in my previous university. For example, my major was mathematics from a university, I cannot apply to the BA mathematics course at Cambridge?

Thanks for answering!
Reply 1
I don't know if there's anyone on here that is an affiliated student that will be able to help with your exact situation. My question is why do you want to study for a amaths degree when you already have one?
Reply 2
Nina
I don't know if there's anyone on here that is an affiliated student that will be able to help with your exact situation. My question is why do you want to study for a amaths degree when you already have one?

Sorry...I typed wrong. I mean if I have other degree like statistics or actuarial science, and if I apply as an affiliated student at Cambridge that majoring in, say, mathematics. Would it take less than 3 years?

Thanks a bunch.
Reply 3
I went to some open days for mature and affiliated students. I didn't listen closely to the affiliated information (I was filtering for things that were relevant to me) however ...

I am pretty sure that they said that you could be an affiliated student, with one year taken off, only if your degree was relevant to the course i.e. you wouldn't be behind, by jumping straight to second year work. The open day speaker also said that if someone applied as an affiliated student (wanting to do the degree in one year less than normal) that sometimes an offer would be made to do the course in the usual timescale, if the preparation/previous degree was not considered sufficient. Therefore, I think a degree in a similar subject would be a benefit to an application as an affiliated student.

Contact the admissions office/college you are interested in, though.

Latest

Trending

Trending