The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Look in the specification. Then look what % of the A-level marks are allocated to each unit. Then multiply that by 6 to get the total UMS marks available for that one since on the results sheet thats the marks you'll be told, not your raw marks.

e.g. if theres a module worth 20% of the A-level, you'll get a UMS score out of 120 for it.
Its in the examiner reports. They multiply the unit 5 theory paper by 1.2 (ie. out of 40) and add the practical mark for unit 5 (the total marks you can gain on this practical paper is 48) to get a mark out of 96. Usually ~71 is the average on 96 to get an A. The mark on 96 is scaled upto 90 (you can check out the examiner reports for more details).
Unit 4 is out of 60, but scaled upto 90
Unit 6 is out of 80 and scaled upto 120.
Reply 3
rohitkhannak
Its in the examiner reports. They multiply the unit 5 theory paper by 1.2 (ie. out of 40) and add the practical mark for unit 5 (the total marks you can gain on this practical paper is 48) to get a mark out of 96. Usually ~71 is the average on 96 to get an A. The mark on 96 is scaled upto 90 (you can check out the examiner reports for more details).
Unit 4 is out of 60, but scaled upto 90
Unit 6 is out of 80 and scaled upto 120.

Yeah basically how the UMS system works is that an A is always 80% on the UMS scale, no matter what percentage the raw mark works out at, then B is 70% and so on down to E at 40%, the raw marks in between each boundary then have a certain number of UMS points allocated to them. I think the aim is to make working out the overall grade easier and to make sure an A on one paper is worth the same as an A on another, by taking into account the difficulty (i.e. the boundary for an A will be higher on an easier paper)
- but I don't think its a case of straightforwardly 'scaling up'.

Latest