The Student Room Group

Entry to Medicine, after completing a Health Degree

Hi there

I'm almost finished an undergraduate degree in Dietetics - to be a dietitian. I have recently been thinking about Medicine however I don't know if having completed my Dietetics degree this would allow me to enter year 2 or 3 of the Medicine degree

I can't find any websites about it which means probably no...
Would anyone know?

Thank you
Reply 1
It may be a possibility but I don't think so.

I'm only aware of the graduate entry accelerated programme. It's designed for grads of any subject and is a fast track four year degree instead of the usual five.
You could apply for the 4year GEP I suppose if your A levels are right?
Otherwise standard 5 years courses.
You wouldn't be able to join a late year - think about it - you won't have studied anatomy, certain biochemistry,psychology, physiology etc! Do you see what I mean?
Reply 3
Exactly, what I meant. Although a dietics degree will involve some biochemistry. But even if your degree involved a sufficient amount of biochemistry you're still missing anatomy, physiology etc.
Reply 4
River85
It may be a possibility but I don't think so.

I'm only aware of the graduate entry accelerated programme. It's designed for grads of any subject and is a fast track four year degree instead of the usual five.

They're not always for any subject, it depends which uni it's at so if the OP does want to do that make sure you look properly at the requirements before you apply
Reply 5
Juncture
They're not always for any subject, it depends which uni it's at so if the OP does want to do that make sure you look properly at the requirements before you apply

Most that I'm aware of accept any degree, within reason. Art, science or social science. Not all do but I didn't mean to give the impression all did.

If you read the original post the OP is doing a degree in Dietetics. For those who do specifiy degree subjects I would imagine dietetics would qualify as a relevant degree. Especially as the OP probably has one or two science A-levels (including chemistry) and solid scientific knowledge.
Reply 6
Yeah, I would agree with what's already been said - you should be ok to apply for 4 year GEP courses, and if you're not sure whether your degree would be accepted then you could always email the universities themselves to check! Also make sure you get relevant work experience - many universities will accept places like hospices, daycare centres etc.
Reply 7
For the 4 Year accelerated programme i understood you needed things such as

Anatomy BSc, biochemistry, biomedical, molecular biology.. (chemistry only for 5 year course)
physiotherapy
Radiography
Pharmacy
Reply 8
user-name
For the 4 Year accelerated programme i understood you needed things such as

Anatomy BSc, biochemistry, biomedical, molecular biology.. (chemistry only for 5 year course)
physiotherapy
Radiography
Pharmacy

Not necessarily, a number don't ask for specific degrees (although, yes, some do). Newcastle don't.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/course/A101/entrance-requirements

Plus I'm no expert but, for most of those who do ask for related degrees, dietics would qualify.

It's still very competitive. Perhaps even more competitive than taking the ordinary route from school. After all you're competitng against people from a range of degrees and with extensive work experience as other health professionals.
Reply 9
The only prob with unis that accept any degree is that they tend to be more competitive.. like kings & newcastle.

If you have a years worth of clinical experience other unis will suit you best.

I was wondering, do unis consider the quality of the university aswell? This could be a factor.
Reply 10
River85
Most that I'm aware of accept any degree, within reason.
Be aware of more.
Reply 11
I noticed that without A level Chem options are cut in half.

Warwick told me a few months ago that they will not accept a health science degree. They may consider it in 2009 entry only with at least a year of postgrad clinical experience. Same with Leicester.
email the admissions of unis you might like to study at they are usually v helpful. tell them your degree and a level grades(other) hope this helps and good luck

Latest

Trending

Trending