The Student Room Group

HELP:( Religious experience RS11

Examine the relationship some people see between faith and religious experience

Assess the influence religious experience has had upon religious practice and teaching about moral behaviour

Describe how religion has responded to religious experience

Explain how religious experience can be used to guide human behaviour, and discuss how faith is required if religious experience is to have any relevance to a person today

Right..i’m just preparing for my exam that I have on Thursday and I have just picked out the questions that I am finding most difficult and wondered if anyone would care to explain any of the answers to me..bullet pointed or anything, I don’t mind:smile:
I’m really struggling here...I can think of some point but not enough to get me 20 marks or anything...
Thank youu!
Will appreciate it loads...
Reply 1
You might want to change the thread title. It's RS12. :wink:
ohh yeah thankss, i'm half a sleep...
how do you change it?
Reply 4
groovyangel2008
how do you change it?

hmm...i'm not quite sure myself. oh well :biggrin:
Examine the relationship some people see between faith and religious experience

For this one all i've really got is things like how faith is very dependent on religious experience because the foundations of religions are usually based on a religious experience, like Abraham's experiences led to Judaism, Moses to the 10 commandments (laws of both Judiasm and Christianity) Muhammad's to Islam, Paul's to Christianity, Buddha -> Englightenment -> Pali Canon -> Buddhism. For this, its important to link something specific in the religious experience of the founder to a specific aspect of faith, for example: The revelation of the Divine Name to Moses tells us about the eternal and caring nature of God, which is vital to an understanding of both Judaism and Christianity, and the first Sura revealed to Muhammad (96) tells us that God is a creator God

It can also be a source of faith on a more subjective and personal level. A person may be touched or deeply moved by the relgious experiences of an individual saint and choose to base their prayer life around writings or ideas associated with that saint. It could also be a source of faith based on a religious experience that the person themselves has had.

Assess the influence religious experience has had upon religious practice and teaching about moral behaviour

A brilliant example to use for this one is Muhammad. His religious experiences led to the Qu'ran, which is the ultimate source of authority for Muslims, and they use the Qur'an and the Sunna and Haidth of Muhammad as a basis for their religious practice and Moral behaviour, e.g: The Night Journey: Muhammad was told to pray 50 times a day (Muslims praying 5 times a day is based on this) and was also told to abstain from certain things such as Alcohol (hence why Muslims don't drink).

Another good example is the conversion of St. Paul, as he established many of the doctrines of the early Christian church, such as the fact that Christians don't have to be circumcised, men have to wear hats in church etc

One of the main ways religious experience can influence moral behaviour is in terms of a conversion experience. If someone converts from atheism to a specific faith, then they will have to be aware of the fundamental concept of an afterlife, which inevitably involves judgement. This is especially true for Islam, where judgement is a central part of their faith, and so it would provoke a great change in one's moral behaviour, especially when you think that in Islam every action a person takes is recorded down by the angels. The fact that they believe their every move is taken into account would contribute to a great change in moral behaviour.

Religious experiences will almost always influence the moral behaviour of those who experience them. By definition a religious experience leads to a greater deepening of faith or profound spiritual growth, which would inevitably affect one's moral behaviour, e.g. St. Bernadette became a nun.

Describe how religion has responded to religious experience

To me this sounds like its asking for the methods of verification, such as Teresa of Avila's tests which were expanded by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.... can't really think of much else for that one, sorry!

Explain how religious experience can be used to guide human behaviour, and discuss how faith is required if religious experience is to have any relevance to a person today

The guide human behaviour bit is similar to moral behaviour.
Hmm.... faith as a necessary component for religious experience to have an impact... I guess for this one it would be things like you're not likely to believe in a religious experience is you're an atheist, you need to have faith because religious experiences are so ineffable and metaphysical that they can't really be described on earthly terms, things like that.

I hope this has been of some help, sorry I can't answer them all in detail!

Latest

Trending

Trending