The Student Room Group

Biology A-Level (Only taken 'single' science)

Okay, because I want to study medicine at university, I have thaught about contacting my sixth form to drop History and take Biology instead. Although there is one problem; I only took a single science and not the double/additional/triple science that is required at my sixth form.

Or I could take the 'foundation route' at medicine and do an extra year. But the problem of only taking a single science is that all universities require a double-award GCSE for science - This would mean that I would have to take this on top of my current A-Levels, which my parents feel it would be too much work to do.

The reason why I couldn't take a double-award for science at GCSE was because due to ill health and I've had to redo nine GCSE's in one school year, whilst only attending three days a week (the other two due to hospital appointments).

Is it worth contacting my sixth form and trying to change their mind or should I just continue with my current A-level choices ( Maths, Economics, Geography as well as History) try and avoid any possible conflict between me and my future sixth form.

(If in the wrong forum, please switch)

tom
Reply 1
I don't have much advice about your situation, sorry! But you don't actually need Biology to do Medicine, however, you NEED Chemistry...
Yeah, and a third science/maths couldn't hurt.
Reply 3
You have extenuating circumstances... I'm sure that should count for you when it comes to university
yeah i think if you want to do medicine you should do biology and chemistry, i don't really know what you can do, but you do have exceptional circumstances to why you don't have double award science at the least.
good luck :smile:
Reply 5
K!&R@N
I don't have much advice about your situation, sorry! But you don't actually need Biology to do Medicine, however, you NEED Chemistry...

No you don't. Entrance requirements vary according to university. There are some will only ask for chemistry or biology at A-level (or even, in rare cases, just AS level). The other would need to be offered at GCSE grade A.

The amounts of work people can cope with does vary by person. Some can only cope with three A-levels, others four or five.
However, I wouldn't say that dual aware GCSE science during A-levels is too unreasonable. After all you've already got a fair amount of scientific knowledge.

Another route is to take science GCSE during your A-levels and take biology and/or chemistry during a year or two out. Then apply to uni. Not ideal but, still.

If all else fails there's always graduate entry (go into after a degree). However this route takes far longer, is more expensive and is arguably more competitive.
Reply 6
Also I may be wrong (I suggest you post in the medicine forum at least you won't have people telling you that you NEED chemistry) but I think for MAnchester's foundation programme you don't have to have dual award science (only if it's offered). As others have said if you've had mitigating circumstances they may take this into account.
Reply 7
River85
No you don't. Entrance requirements vary according to university. There are some will only ask for chemistry or biology at A-level (or even, in rare cases, just AS level). The other would need to be offered at GCSE grade A.

Really? wow...some universities don't see Chemistry as mandatory? You learn something new everyday! :biggrin:

Although, I'm assuming very few universities...
Reply 8
K!&R@N
Really? wow...some universities don't see Chemistry as mandatory? You learn something new everyday! :biggrin:

Although, I'm assuming very few universities...

Newcastle (including Durham) are the only two the spring to mind. There may be a handful of others (there will be some that would ask for the other at AS). Both respected unis and it's still misleading to say chemistry is necessary. I'm not deying that chemsitry and biology is desirable (although you don't necessarily need more sciences than this). Just the it's not impossible to get into some medicine courses with only one of biology and chemistry.

Also OP Durham don't require Dual award science. Unfortunately they don't offer a foundation year so you've still got the problem of how to get onto the A-level science courses.

Even so they are certainly not needed for a foundation course. The real problem there is the lack of dual award science. If dual award science really is required for a foundation year then I don't think it will be too much work to study alongside A-levels. Just make sure the university will accept post-year 11 GCSEs. I'd imagine most would, especially under the circumstances.

Edit: - Actually Sheffield don't require dual award GCSE for their six year programme. Only chemistry at grade A and, ideally, physics and biology also. Would your single science GCSE still cover this?

http://www.shef.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/entryrequire.html
Reply 9
Should do, as in my chemistry tests I managed to get an A* on both of them.

Thanks for the help btw.
I don't think that a science GCSE will seem that hard if you are studying it along side Biology and Chemistry A-Level. Obviously there will be more work, but it will seem EASY once you have done AS. You may even be able to self teach it.
Reply 11
River85
Newcastle (including Durham) are the only two the spring to mind. There may be a handful of others (there will be some that would ask for the other at AS). Both respected unis and it's still misleading to say chemistry is necessary. I'm not deying that chemsitry and biology is desirable (although you don't necessarily need more sciences than this). Just the it's not impossible to get into some medicine courses with only one of biology and chemistry.

Also OP Durham don't require Dual award science. Unfortunately they don't offer a foundation year so you've still got the problem of how to get onto the A-level science courses.

Even so they are certainly not needed for a foundation course. The real problem there is the lack of dual award science. If dual award science really is required for a foundation year then I don't think it will be too much work to study alongside A-levels. Just make sure the university will accept post-year 11 GCSEs. I'd imagine most would, especially under the circumstances.

Edit: - Actually Sheffield don't require dual award GCSE for their six year programme. Only chemistry at grade A and, ideally, physics and biology also. Would your single science GCSE still cover this?

http://www.shef.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/entryrequire.html

Still though, the majority of the "realistic" candidates will like likely have both chemistry and biology who the op will be competing against, and although those particular universities don't specifiy that you must have both, they do hint that you should have them.

I think you would have to be pretty exceptional among other medicine offer holders in your academics, and mcat and interview to get medicine offers with no chemistry A(S) level

Latest