The Student Room Group

CIE A level Maths self-study?

I have to take 3 A level subjects' exams and 1 AS level. All from the CIE.

Is it possible to self-study A level Maths (Pure Maths 1 & 3, and Stats & Probability 1 & 2), in 8 months with 2 hours / day of study for example?

I really cannot get a tutor but I have to write the exams. Any tips for self-study? Or recommendation of any books that will make it easier?
Reply 1
I think it is definately possible if you have a tutor for your other subjects and if you did IGCSE math before this. Stats 1 and Pure 1 were quite easy for me. :smile: And I am doing Pure 3 and Mechanics 1 in the next 3 months. You can try out a past year question and see how it goes.
Reply 2
Yeah it's fine.
Reply 3
Thanks. Got any tips for better self-study when it's Maths?
Reply 4
Practice as much as you can. The more you do, the better you get. That's the best way to learn maths.
Reply 5
tommmmmmmmmm
Practice as much as you can. The more you do, the better you get. That's the best way to learn maths.

Exactly :wink: That's what my bloody maths teacher kept moaning on about for years and years... but it's true
Reply 6
struck
I have to take 3 A level subjects' exams and 1 AS level. All from the CIE.

Is it possible to self-study A level Maths (Pure Maths 1 & 3, and Stats & Probability 1 & 2), in 8 months with 2 hours / day of study for example?

I really cannot get a tutor but I have to write the exams. Any tips for self-study? Or recommendation of any books that will make it easier?

Check the CIE website, they list the books you need.
Reply 7
Yeah, my advice, get them CIE endorsed books. They have been made specifically for their syllabus
Reply 8
i can guarantee you that those saying its possible didnt actually do CIE maths this year.
All im gonna say is you're gonna struggle if its anything as hard as this years maths was. And don't fall under the wrong mindset by thinking "but im very intelligent, i should be able to handle it"

let me refer you to this thread on a different forum
http://blackpapers.info/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2012
as you can see, this years A level paper was brutal. people were crying all over the world, EVEN IN CHINA! No one finished it in my exam centre, but luckily i figured out through that thread that the upset and shock on this paper was worldwide. If this trend continues, as cambridge have said they WILL be making maths harder, you'll be facing a very difficult exam

but good luck :biggrin:

Latest