The Student Room Group

Life as a medical student

As a prospective applicant, I am curious to find out what life really is like as a medic. By that I mean how many hours a week you have lectures/PBL, also how much work is involved in general. I apologise if this sounds like too much to ask, but could a few of the current medical students write up a typical week at their university? This could then go onto the wiki. I've seen a similar thing in the Oxbridge forum, but I'm interested to know how it varies between uni to uni.
Thanks for any help! (sorry if this was a rubbish suggestion)
This is my current timetable:

Monday: Save lives
Tuesday: Save lives
Wednesday: (morning) save lives (afternoon) sports
Thursday: Break hearts
Friday: Save lives
well im just pissed off - those are my words of wisdom!!
Reply 3
fairy spangles
well im just pissed off - those are my words of wisdom!!

Haha, may I ask why?
Reply 4
You should be asking what its like as a newly qualified doctor, thats why you're doing the course after all. not whats its like being a student.
Reply 5
user-name
You should be asking what its like as a newly qualified doctor, thats why you're doing the course after all. not whats its like being a student.

Maybe, but I want to compare it to other courses which I'm thinking of doing. For example, seeing how much free time students have and what the work load is like or if there's a lot of independent study.
Reply 6
Monday - nothing
Tuesday - nothing
Wednesday nothing
Thursday nothing
Friday - spend about an hour going through patient notes for an audit

Repeat for 9 weeks
Reply 7
Monday - Nothing
Tuesday - Four hours of **** teaching
Wednesday - Two hours of clinic
Thursday - Bar shift in the evening
Friday - Bar drinking in the evening
Reply 8
Renal

Tuesday - Four hours of **** teaching

At least you didn't have 3 hours of GP on top, seeing ONE blinking patient with NO skin signs... Dermatology - gotta love it :confused::confused::confused:
Reply 9
Fluffy
At least you didn't have 3 hours of GP on top, seeing ONE blinking patient with NO skin signs... Dermatology - gotta love it :confused::confused::confused:
Well we did, just with no punters. :rolleyes:

****wits.
piece_by_piece
Haha, may I ask why?

I'm just pissed off with med school its driving me round the twist.
I havent even seen a single bloody patient yet and if although i'll never ever have to look at another anatomical specimen, i think anatomy has finally made me crack.
Oh and i didnt pass an exam so im spending my whole summer revising for one freaking exam - which i about patients which ive not seen yet.
Oh the joys!!

Latest

Trending

Trending