The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Aaron_1507
Pretty simple stuff then. Do they consider your academic record when selecting managers and staff trainers?

This is the most god awful job on the face of the planet!!!!! When you are an opener (eg me), and you have the wonderful job of searching the store for all products to see whether they are out of date, then wondering what idiot brought out 20 packets of bacon roll buns which went out of date yesterday and you have to throw them away. Already the opening managers waste is a ridiculous high.

It gets a bit worrying when you look back in the DuPSuC records and all you see on sausage, eggs and shake machine in your name constantly.

Soo, to answer your question, school records do not come into consideration, simply your attitude to work and competence. However the latter worries me sometimes when i look at the people who are DPSC verified in my store.
NickyP
Not at all. I think only a couple of the managers in my store actually went to college, but if you want to climb further up the ladder and become a store manager or higher then you generally need a degree.

You say it as a positive thing, i wanted them to it might help me stand out a little. You could get away with a levels if you are a wiz-kid i.e AAA.
Reply 302
rt
I've got a problem. I didn't like school that much and I don't want to do education full time, I was thinking of a part-time course but I can't see anything that looks valuable to me and at the same time I'd like to keep a strong commitment of work hours up at McDonalds so I was considering going fulltime. I'm in a stable situation, just left school and at home and I want to join the police one day. Do you think it would be sensible of me to go straight into work? I enjoy my job and the best way for promotions is to show you're a hard strong commited employee. The Police aren't too fussed about qualifactions, you just have to pass entrance tests which I know about having some family in the Police and work experience placements and such. Comments and critism please? :smile:

I don't know you personally, so I can't say what is best for you, but if I was you I'd definately get some sort of qualifications to fall back on. It's good that you're committed to your job at the moment, but you can prove that to your boss even if you're just part time. If you want to do a part time course at college or whatever, that's great. If you did that and then just did 3 or 4 shifts in work, you'd have qualifications and your job at McDonald's to fall back on. :smile:
matt bass
This is the most god awful job on the face of the planet!!!!! When you are an opener (eg me), and you have the wonderful job of searching the store for all products to see whether they are out of date, then wondering what idiot brought out 20 packets of bacon roll buns which went out of date yesterday and you have to throw them away. Already the opening managers waste is a ridiculous high.

It gets a bit worrying when you look back in the DuPSuC records and all you see on sausage, eggs and shake machine in your name constantly.

Soo, to answer your question, school records do not come into consideration, simply your attitude to work and competence. However the latter worries me sometimes when i look at the people who are DPSC verified in my store.

Haha, yeah i wasn't just talking common sense knowing the date kind of thing. I meant more of top grades/wiz-kid. lol. i.e A*'s
Reply 304
NickyP
Not at all. I think only a couple of the managers in my store actually went to college, but if you want to climb further up the ladder and become a store manager or higher then you generally need a degree.

Actually not at all. Our BM had no schooling past Y11 and the qualification he has acquired through McDs is equivalent to a Uni degree. The qualification gained from a shift runners course is a level 3 NVQ in Food and Restaurant Safety.
Reply 305
Aaron_1507
You say it as a positive thing, i wanted them to it might help me stand out a little. You could get away with a levels if you are a wiz-kid i.e AAA.

Qualifications help you get the job in the first place, but once your foot is in the door they don't really look at your qualifications when promoting people, but at the end of the day this is McDonald's.
Reply 306
Aaron_1507
Haha, yeah i wasn't just talking common sense knowing the date kind of thing. I meant more of top grades/wiz-kid. lol. i.e A*'s

Not at all, it is simply how you work within the workplace
NickyP
Qualifications help you get the job in the first place, but once your foot is in the door they don't really look at your qualifications when promoting people, but at the end of the day this is McDonald's.

Yeah, im just searching for some way to get noticed and ahead of others in terms of promotion.
Reply 308
matt bass

... the latter worries me sometimes when i look at the people who are DPSC verified in my store.

Here, here!
matt bass
Not at all, it is simply how you work within the workplace

Okay.
Reply 310
matt bass
Actually not at all. Our BM had no schooling past Y11 and the qualification he has acquired through McDs is equivalent to a Uni degree. The qualification gained from a shift runners course is a level 3 NVQ in Food and Restaurant Safety.

I stand corrected! If you want to go straight into the company on the manager's scheme then I think you need a degree, or at least need to be in the middle of one.

But I think it is good how I have a Level 3 NVQ and am First Aid at Work trained without needing to spend a penny. The First Aid especially will help when it comes to finding another job. :smile:
NickyP
I stand corrected! If you want to go straight into the company on the manager's scheme then I think you need a degree, or at least need to be in the middle of one.

But I think it is good how I have a Level 3 NVQ and am First Aid at Work trained without needing to spend a penny. The First Aid especially will help when it comes to finding another job. :smile:

On the site it says a graduate or two years management experience.
Reply 312
Aaron_1507
Yeah, im just searching for some way to get noticed and ahead of others in terms of promotion.

Righto...Matts tips on how to get noticed within the wonderful workplace that is McDs

Start taking action without being asked. If something needs to be done and no one is doing it do it.

Plan ahead. An organised store is a happy store

Begin to delegate if no one else is doing it. If multiple jobs need doing you cant do them all by yourself.

Be the 4 qualities of a crew trainer. An Expert, Coach, Teacher and Role Model. This is bound to impress.

Matt
Reply 313
NickyP
I don't suppose you'll be going to the Salford HQ for any of your courses will you?

Nah we're off to Sutton for FRS and the exam, then down to Finchly for BSM. Looks to be pretty fun as my little brother is on the same course as is someone from another store who has been of interest for some time :wink:
Reply 314
matt bass
Nah we're off to Sutton for FRS and the exam, then down to Finchly for BSM. Looks to be pretty fun as my little brother is on the same course as is someone from another store who has been of interest for some time :wink:

Ah right, haha. I remember one individual I had my eye on at my FRS course, and I was hoping to see them again, but alas, no. That was completely irrelevant wasn't it.
Reply 315
NickyP
Ah right, haha. I remember one individual I had my eye on at my FRS course, and I was hoping to see them again, but alas, no. That was completely irrelevant wasn't it.

This individual worked at my store for a while but had to move back to one closer to home (fuel costs). We were kind of hit and miss for a while, and would often have better and worse days in our non existent relationship.

Could always use the line "feel free to look at my QRG anytime". However im sure hilarity would ensue.
Reply 316
matt bass
Could always use the line "feel free to look at my QRG anytime". However im sure hilarity would ensue.

I love it. You can wrap and call me any day.

(that was not directly aimed at you by the way.)
Reply 317
Oh you poor people working in McDonalds, I do feel for you.

well I guess someone has to be responsible for making the nation a bunch of fats.
Reply 318
We dont force anyone through the door mate. It really isnt such a bad place to work.

Reasonable pay, tons of benefits and ive met some of my best friends through that place.
matt bass
We dont force anyone through the door mate. It really isnt such a bad place to work.

Reasonable pay, tons of benefits and ive met some of my best friends through that place.

Agreed. Some great people :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending