The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5860
Original post by destination unknown
Thanks. How long is the probationary period?
How much do you get paid on your holidays?
& finally, how flexible the manager who does the shifts schedule must be? I mean, can I ask one week to work 5 days and the next one 2-3 shifts for example? (i'm a student and don't want to work so much when deadlines come).

It's 3 weeks. Your holiday pay accrues as you work, and I think it's 10% of your wages, it's not taken from your wages though, it's extra.
Yeah, you could providing the store has the hours to give you. If it's a slow period, then they might not be able to give you all the hours you want, purely because it wouldn't be profitable, but generally yes, they can be pretty flexible with the hours they give you.
Reply 5861
Original post by MM01
Finished the orientation and health and safety certificate.

I have a question about the shoes. I currently have a pair of black dress shoes and I know that they aren't slip-resistant so where can I find some good shoes?

Shoezone.
Guise,

What happens at the welcome meeting, apart from filling in forms and working out shifts?

Also, should I go there dressed in something formal?

Cheers,
Original post by Squalleon
Guise,

What happens at the welcome meeting, apart from filling in forms and working out shifts?

Also, should I go there dressed in something formal?

Cheers,

At mines there was a video about McDonald's and we were told that we got our uniform on our first day. There was also free drinks :woo:

At mines casual clothes were fine and I don't think it will have changed in a year and a half
(edited 12 years ago)
I really don't understand. second time applying, second time getting the group interview, second time being rejected. Am i overqualified or what? I knew some people that got the job over me. They couldn't talk fluently in front of everyone and were quiet. I was loud and knew what I was saying.

I just don't understand.
Original post by alphadawg
I really don't understand. second time applying, second time getting the group interview, second time being rejected. Am i overqualified or what? I knew some people that got the job over me. They couldn't talk fluently in front of everyone and were quiet. I was loud and knew what I was saying.

I just don't understand.

Well, what are your qualifications? And how old are you?
Would someone be able to explain the re-loadable cards we can get? So if I top up £100 and only spend £20, I can still get a 5% discount (for example) in one of the shops? I like the sound of this :biggrin:
Reply 5867
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
Would someone be able to explain the re-loadable cards we can get? So if I top up £100 and only spend £20, I can still get a 5% discount (for example) in one of the shops? I like the sound of this :biggrin:

From what I gather, if you get one that has a 5% discount, you'd pay £95 to get £100 on the card. You then get the card through the post (if it's the first time, after that you top up the same card online I think) then can use it in the shops as many times as you like until it runs out. Then you top it up again.
Original post by Millyshyn
Well, what are your qualifications? And how old are you?

Well, I have 11 pass grades at GCSE and im 16. these other people were also 16-17 at college like me.
Original post by Ronda
From what I gather, if you get one that has a 5% discount, you'd pay £95 to get £100 on the card. You then get the card through the post (if it's the first time, after that you top up the same card online I think) then can use it in the shops as many times as you like until it runs out. Then you top it up again.

Ahh I see, thanks :smile: That's so good! :biggrin:
Reply 5870
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
Ahh I see, thanks :smile: That's so good! :biggrin:

I love the employee discounts!

Since joining, you have saved a total of
£72.79

:biggrin:

Cash back is awesome
Well, I have 11 pass grades at GCSE and im 16. these other people were also 16-17 at college like me.

You are definitely not overqualified, what they are probably basing their decision on is probably personality and who they want to work with most and think will fit in best. Good luck though and keep on trying :smile:
Reply 5872
I think too many people use being overqualified as an excuse for not getting the job. A girl in my store got the job despite having an 8-week placement at Hardvard the following year, which she talked about in the interview a lot.. That didn't seem to hinder her chances..

Well I doubt you are overqualified then. Maybe they just didn't like how outspoken you were and thought you might cause trouble. There are some people in my store who just cause drama and the managers hate dealing with it and prefer the quieter people perhaps.
Reply 5874
Original post by Ronda
I think too many people use being overqualified as an excuse for not getting the job. A girl in my store got the job despite having an 8-week placement at Hardvard the following year, which she talked about in the interview a lot.. That didn't seem to hinder her chances..

Totally agree with that. In some stores you'll find the majority of crew are students, and there are some very high achievers. Being 'overqualified' isn't going to stop you getting the job, what might stop you is the content of your application or how you do in the interview/OJE. And then you have to bear in mind there are many more applicants than jobs, even if every applicant was perfect you can't employ them all.
Reply 5875
I just got a job at McDonalds as a customer care assistant two weeks ago. I have only done five shifts so far but today I was questioned when I was working by three different managers as to who had been training me etc. Two of the managers basically suggested I wasn't good at the job and the manager who interviewed me said that if I don't start being friendlier they won't be keeping me on once my four week trial is up. I personally thought that was unfair. I have done just as much work as any of the other workers and have always been polite and helpful especially in regards to customers. I feel like **** right now because if mcdonalds arent even going to hire me then who is!! Anybody else encountered an experience like that whilst working there??
Reply 5876
If you get turned down for being overqualified, it usually means that the store is looking for part time workers - but not the ones who are going to quickly jump to a new job as soon as they get trained. If their going to put the effort into training you, they want to be able to rely on you not to run off which seems like a fair point. If they employ people who aren't as qualified, who aren't as liking to get a better job, they'll get reliability. Students are good because while their at uni during the "quieter" period they don't have to pay them and when they come back for the busier holiday peroid they don't have to employ and train new staff members.
Reply 5877
Original post by tm00131
Totally agree with that. In some stores you'll find the majority of crew are students, and there are some very high achievers. Being 'overqualified' isn't going to stop you getting the job, what might stop you is the content of your application or how you do in the interview/OJE. And then you have to bear in mind there are many more applicants than jobs, even if every applicant was perfect you can't employ them all.

Exactly. And whilst I've never heard of any of my managers rejecting someone for being overqualified, I have heard of them rejecting people for having an "I'm better than here, just give me the job" attitude in their interview..
Original post by Ronda
Exactly. And whilst I've never heard of any of my managers rejecting someone for being overqualified, I have heard of them rejecting people for having an "I'm better than here, just give me the job" attitude in their interview..

Exactly! The amount of people who think that they'll instantly get a job because it's 'just McDonalds'... :rolleyes: of course they won't be employed with that attitude.
Reply 5879
10 rejections later I am still applying. Frustrated now, but I accept the challenge, ha :tongue: I haven't changed my answers or application since I got my previous McDs job (other than references - I added my previous McDs manager) at all and all I get is rejections. Do they have anything against former workers applying again :confused: ?