The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thank you both for answering. I've been having a think.

I applied to the job which was advertising ~10 hours a week, I have been doing 1 or 2 days a week. When I ask for a low number of shifts from now on, they say yes, and it jumps to 4 days a week. That's not just a misunderstanding of my meaning of 'low'.

Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Snip

I'm going to try the notice method - because perhaps they'll take me back in the Summer... They may not, but it's worth a try. But completely no shifts until then - I have so much work to do and can't afford the time - especially as most of this week is gone.

Original post by Ronda
If you've been there less than a month, then quitting should be fairly easy. If you've not had your initial PR, then you can say you want to quit when you do.

Initial PR? What's that? I've been there just over a month I think. Still haven't got a name badge though! Lol..

Otherwise, just speak to the business manager, say you want to hand in your notice. (S)He'll let you know how long you'll need to work before leaving (I'm pretty sure it'll be 1 week) and then you'll need to write it up. If you work your notice, you'll be entitled to your holiday pay and stuff.

My next shift is on Tuesday. If I was to tell them then, I'm guessing they wouldn't put me on next week's schedule (as it's done on Sunday)? I will lose most of this week, but I CANNOT afford to lose most of a second week. If they give me more, it'll be a walk-out quit (and there's no way I'd get it back in the summer after that).

Or you could try speaking to the business manager about just having the job over holidays. In my experience, both have been perfectly fine and doable for people who work in my store.

I think this is what I'll do. I'll do this week's shifts to stay on their good books. And hopefully I'll get taken back up in the Summer.

___
Argh. Why do things have to be complicated :frown: I've actually got a job, but it looks like I could end up without again.
But I know that I'll never forgive myself if I failed my exams. It would destroy my entire future, and I can't risk that for McDonalds. I'm working there to get some money for postgrad, but if I fail my exams, I won't be able to do postgrad anyway!
I can't deal with the stress right now of knowing that they will put me in for whatever hours they want me to do. This is not the time for a fight.
Reply 6021
I don't think they will take you on again in the summer if you resign. Perhaps, if you speak to your business manager about not working until after your exams, they might be happy with that, but it depends on the person. Asking for one shift a week until after your exams should be fine if you explain you need to study.

I'm not trying to be negative, just honest with you, best of luck whatever option you choose.
Original post by tm00131
I don't think they will take you on again in the summer if you resign. Perhaps, if you speak to your business manager about not working until after your exams, they might be happy with that, but it depends on the person. Asking for one shift a week until after your exams should be fine if you explain you need to study.

I'm not trying to be negative, just honest with you, best of luck whatever option you choose.

Honesty from you is good. If I have to quit, then I'll quit. I'll just go back to square one job wise, and will try applying everywhere else after my exams. I do know that I'm unlikely to get anything. But I haven't lost anything by being employed by mcd for 1-2 months.. (although I think I'd leave it off a CV, because that doesn't look very good on me, quitting so soon).

I just want mcd to go away now, because I have lost all trust that they'll work with me here, and I have so much else to do.
Im booked on to a Welcome Meeting finally :smile: So hopefully I'll be working within the next 2 weeks.. I'm so glad to finally get something sorted!

I heard the uniforms are changing too, do you guys know what they're like?

& what are the 'perks' like exactly? I saw a list of benefits on the site but forgotten where it is..
Reply 6024
Original post by lightburns
Honesty from you is good. If I have to quit, then I'll quit. I'll just go back to square one job wise, and will try applying everywhere else after my exams. I do know that I'm unlikely to get anything. But I haven't lost anything by being employed by mcd for 1-2 months.. (although I think I'd leave it off a CV, because that doesn't look very good on me, quitting so soon).

I just want mcd to go away now, because I have lost all trust that they'll work with me here, and I have so much else to do.

If you come to an agreement of doing 1 shift per week and they give you more than that, phone up and say sorry I can't do more than one. It depends on your BM/scheduling manager though, my scheduling manager is awesome while people in other stores moan about theirs.

If you have to quit, you can always apply again in the summer, or phone up and say you'd like to come back; you wouldn't be losing anything by asking.

Original post by hallucinated
Im booked on to a Welcome Meeting finally :smile: So hopefully I'll be working within the next 2 weeks.. I'm so glad to finally get something sorted!

I heard the uniforms are changing too, do you guys know what they're like?

& what are the 'perks' like exactly? I saw a list of benefits on the site but forgotten where it is..

I've heard about the uniforms too, and I saw a picture of them, I'm not a fan to be honest, but they might not be the final design, there has been nothing official.

Main perks are you get a free meal when you work, discount meals when your not working (£2.29 for a medium core EVM, £3.29 for a medium premium EVM, £1.99 for a breakfast EVM), and there is an employee discount site with various discounts in a lot of shops, online and high street.
Reply 6025
Original post by tm00131
I've heard about the uniforms too, and I saw a picture of them, I'm not a fan to be honest, but they might not be the final design, there has been nothing official

Oh they are the final design! Much to my disgust. There's a whole article on OurLounge about it and how the colours are 'food themed'! Also went to a planet champion workshop and they had pictures of the uniform on a presentation we saw.

Hopefully they'll realise how awful they are once they Olympic crew are forced into them and they'll hopefully rethink them.
Original post by Stacks
Oh they are the final design! Much to my disgust. There's a whole article on OurLounge about it and how the colours are 'food themed'! Also went to a planet champion workshop and they had pictures of the uniform on a presentation we saw.

Hopefully they'll realise how awful they are once they Olympic crew are forced into them and they'll hopefully rethink them.

Oh dear, now I'm worried, I'm yet to see a picture so I was holding out hope that they wouldn't be that bad!! :/
Reply 6027
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Oh dear, now I'm worried, I'm yet to see a picture so I was holding out hope that they wouldn't be that bad!! :/

Inbox :awesome:
Original post by Stacks

The thing that annoys me most is still no pockets for Crew Trainers. I want to bring my own pen for SOCs and the like, instead of hunting down a manager for one :P
Reply 6029
Original post by Stacks

Could you inbox me the picture too? See if it's the same one I've seen.

Original post by craftySnake
The thing that annoys me most is still no pockets for Crew Trainers. I want to bring my own pen for SOCs and the like, instead of hunting down a manager for one :P

The picture I've seen shows the trousers not being black anymore, so you can't even buy your own trousers with pockets in. Pockets are useful for your mobile too. :tongue:
Reply 6030

They should totally incorporate a pen into the name badge. You know how old phones had like a stylus built in? Just slide the top of your name badge off and voila! it's a pen! Should also make badges into mini penguins considering I always use mine to open things.

Original post by tm00131
Could you inbox me the picture too? See if it's the same one I've seen.

The picture I've seen shows the trousers not being black anymore, so you can't even buy your own trousers with pockets in. Pockets are useful for your mobile too. :tongue:

Sure, as far as I can tell they're black although I'm pretty sure I've seen the picture you're talking about too. Either way, vile, vile uniforms.
Reply 6031
The crew trainer ones are the worst! If things go to plan, I should be promoted before then and hopefully won't have to wear the thing!

As for pens, I always stick mine in between the buttons on my shirt if that makes sense?
Reply 6032
i'm handing in my notice tonight - but my store manager's hardly ever in!! Would it be okay to just give my resignation letter to a shift manager? I've never quit a job before, I don't know what to do :tongue:
How has everyone seen the new uniforms?? I feel like I'm missing out :frown:
Could someone send me a picture of the new uniforms/tell me how to find them please if that's no problem

Original post by Stacks
QFA
(edited 12 years ago)
Applied for a part time crew member job online last wednesday, when do you think I'll hear back? I'm pretty desperate to start work, need the money. I'll be a bit gutted if I don't get this one tbh, I have no experience but think I answered all the questions well online and my education is good so they must be able to tell I'm not a complete idiot...here's hoping!
Original post by Stacks
They should totally incorporate a pen into the name badge. You know how old phones had like a stylus built in? Just slide the top of your name badge off and voila! it's a pen! Should also make badges into mini penguins considering I always use mine to open things.

Sure, as far as I can tell they're black although I'm pretty sure I've seen the picture you're talking about too. Either way, vile, vile uniforms.

Yes! multipurpose badge! :biggrin:

The trousers are green :frown: Someone described them as "Green, not bright green but definitely noticeable green" yikes
Reply 6037
Yes! multipurpose badge! :biggrin:

The trousers are green :frown: Someone described them as "Green, not bright green but definitely noticeable green" yikes

Urgh. I'm hoping that it's not true, the picture I have makes them look black but I have seen another (pretty crappy quality) picture where they have a definite hint of green to them. The base colour for all of the uniforms is kale though so I'm guessing that must mean green trousers! :mad:

Also lol at this quote on ourlounge
The aprons and hats reflect the kind of items seen and expected in high quality international restaurants
Wayne Hemingway is delusional :stupid:
Green trousers sound ridiculous, they will get stained very quickly from grease and stuff...
Original post by Stacks

Cheers :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending