The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think C1 and C2 were ok this year. D1 was a bit 'differant' and perhaps harder than last year's June paper and even January's. Not sure how well I've done on C3 and C4 but I know I made a silly mistake on the very first question on inequalities on MEI OCR C4!! Oh well........
Reply 21
jonnythemoose
Why exactly do mathematicians just post 'oh yeah, S2 was bad...M9 was good...Z11 was really hard...I failed C1' in GENERAL exam threads (ie not just maths ones), as if everyone is just going to know that they're talking about Maths?

The only way I found out was by inferring it from people's signatures.

I doubt people would have a clue what I was on about if I said: 'Yeah, I'm resitting module 5' or 'I failed writing in registers'. I know TSR has a good number of mathmos, but isn't it a little bit, well, arrogant...just to assume everyone knows what you're talking about? Maths is literally the only subject people do this for :s-smilie:

Well if you don't know what they mean, you can assume it's not for you.

Some people might not know what all the English Lit or Politics modules mean either.
River85
It may refer to general threads but so what?!

You go onto a thread and it asks, oh, wasn't S9 really hard today? You think hmmm.....well I didn't take that today. Don't really know what it is so it's not relevant to me. Oh wel....and carry on browsing the other interesting threads found on TSR.

There are things more worthy of your contempt.

But if someone says 'I need to get an A in S9' I'd like to know what exam that is. Out of pure interest. Do people that post these things only want maths students to understand them? And even now that I do know it's a maths module...I don't even know if it's further maths or just maths. After all, further maths is harder, no?

So obviously there are some circumstances when it doesn't matter, and other times when it wouldn't hurt to just write 'maths'. It's only 5 letters. I can do it for my subjects, and they all have more letters in them than that :yep:
jonnythemoose
I agree. Which is why I don't do it. I know maths modules have unique names, but why would someone who doesn't study Maths have a clue what people were on about if they started jabbering on about M2, or C4 or whatever?

I don't know about yours, but at my old sixth form, more than 50% of the people studied Maths A-level, and I imagine a still larger percentage did at least A/S. What does it matter whether people who don't study maths don't understand it? They won't have sat the exam, so most likely they won't have any input. I mean, I wouldn't have a clue what someone was on about if they started talking about English AE22b/5, because I didn't do English. In fact, I wouldn't have a clue what people were talking about if they said 'Psychology Perspectives', because I didn't do psychology. In fact, now you're swaying me! We should only discuss exams/subjects that everyone in the world has done!
Hurrah, peace at last.
vixky!
Well if you don't know what they mean, you can assume it's not for you.

Some people might not know what all the English Lit or Politics modules mean either.

Yes, but students of those subjects are more likely to say 'Politics module 1', which is more descriptive than 'C1'. At least I have an idea what subject they're talking about.

And I don't just care about my own subjects. If someone says 'I've failed Geography', I don't just think 'I don't care, I don't study it - it's not relevant to me'. :s-smilie:
Reply 25
River85
It may refer to general threads but so what?!

You go onto a thread and it asks, oh, wasn't S9 really hard today? You think hmmm.....well I didn't take that today. Don't really know what it is so it's not relevant to me. Oh wel....and carry on browsing the other interesting threads found on TSR.

There are things more worthy of your contempt.

Exactly! :wink:

I've just looked on http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=80 and can see "PHY6 Edexcel 17th June 2008" and "2876, today, that was a bit hard". Neither of those mention a subject right off the bat, so it's not just the mathematicians! :rolleyes:
All maths boards have C1, C4, FP3 etc and similar module names. Anyone who does maths will instantly know what it means. When it comes to other subjects, there is variation among the codes with different boards so it makes sense to state the subject or just say "Bio Unit 4" etc Add to the fact, a LOT of people do maths.
Arrogance....yeah okay :rolleyes:

General consensus: most people on here will do maths.
Reply 28
jonnythemoose
Yes, but students of those subjects are more likely to say 'Politics module 1', which is more descriptive than 'C1'. At least I have an idea what subject they're talking about.

And I don't just care about my own subjects. If someone says 'I've failed Geography', I don't just think 'I don't care, I don't study it - it's not relevant to me'. :s-smilie:

No, but a general exam discussion thread. If it was titled "How did C1 go?", you'd automatically know that you weren't taking C1 so it wouldn't be of any interest to you.

Perhaps I feel differently because I knew what they were. If I was confused by it too I might agree. :biggrin:
jonnythemoose
But if someone says 'I need to get an A in S9' I'd like to know what exam that is. Out of pure interest. Do people that post these things only want maths students to understand them? And even now that I do know it's a maths module...I don't even know if it's further maths or just maths. After all, further maths is harder, no?

So obviously there are some circumstances when it doesn't matter, and other times when it wouldn't hurt to just write 'maths'. It's only 5 letters. I can do it for my subjects, and they all have more letters in them than that :yep:

the F in modules like FP1, FP2 stands for Further surprisingy enough. the applied modules : S-, M- and D- can count for either.
And obviously the higher the number the harder the module
vixky!
No, but a general exam discussion thread. If it was titled "How did C1 go?", you'd automatically know that you weren't taking C1 so it wouldn't be of any interest to you.

Perhaps I feel differently because I knew what they were. If I was confused by it too I might agree. :biggrin:

Yeah I know, I wouldn't go on one of those threads.

I think pretty much everyone who has posted on here apart from me is a maths student. Obviously you're going to feel differently as a maths student. But the whole point is whether non-mathematicians understand you in non-maths threads. :yep:

Anyway, I didn't really expect to get much agreeance, although I expected a few more more to understand where I'm coming from :s-smilie: Meh. I can see this thread is going nowhere...I just wanted to know if anyone felt the same. :sadnod:
Annaconda
the F in modules like FP1, FP2 stands for Further surprisingy enough. the applied modules : S-, M- and D- can count for either.
And obviously the higher the number the harder the module

Thanks - I didn't know that. I also didn't know that the higher the number, the harder the module. :smile: After all, why would I, as a non-maths student?
Reply 32
jonnythemoose

I think pretty much everyone who has posted on here apart from me is a maths student. Obviously you're going to feel differently as a maths student. But the whole point is whether non-mathematicians understand you in non-maths threads. :yep:

Anyway, I didn't really expect to get much agreeance, although I expected a few more more to understand where I'm coming from :s-smilie: Meh.

I'm not actually a maths student, haha. I do understand what you mean though, I think I just picked it up along the way so am used to it now. :smile:
vixky!
I'm not actually a maths student, haha. I do understand what you mean though, I think I just picked it up along the way so am used to it now. :smile:

Oh right OK - haha. Well obviously now if someone says 'C1' I've picked up that it means some sort of Maths exam, but at first when I got here, I was pretty confused - as I imagine any non-mathematician would be.
Reply 34
This thread is pathetic.
jonnythemoose

Anyway, I didn't really expect to get much agreeance, although I expected a few more more to understand where I'm coming from :s-smilie: Meh. I can see this thread is going nowhere...I just wanted to know if anyone felt the same. :sadnod:

I've had a rethink. I can see where you're coming from, in a way. I think your mistake was to call it arrogance. You'd probably get a lot more sympathy if you didn't insult people. As far as I can tell, it's unlikely you'll know much about any module you don't do, whether it be maths or otherwise. I don't know whether you're a Chemistry student, but lets imagine you're not - How much sense would 'OCR Chemistry Chains & Rings' make to you? Without knowledge of the subject, it's very unlikely you'll realise that the module title refers to organic chemistry. Chains & Rings sounds more like a study in the poor fashion sense of certain people. See where I'm coming from? Module names are hardly enlightening, and it doesn't take long to learn that when people omit the subject name, they're generally talking about maths. I don't think it should really be a big issue.
Well, I don't see how adding "maths" in as a prefix changes anything, it still isn't relevant to you, it just means you understand what subject it is relevant to. It doesn't benefit those who sat the exam, since they will know from the name of the paper whether a thread is relevant to them or not. I dont see who this benefits :confused:

After a quick look at the first page of the A level sub-forum, it's easy to tell it isn't only mathematicians that do this. Fair enough, there are far more of these threads concerning Maths exams, but thats just due to the popularity of maths and the proportion of people on here taking maths.

"PHY6 Edexcel 17th June 2008."
"GG5 WJES tomorrow...anyone?" (I have no idea what that is, I ought to storm that thread and complain!)
"2876 today, that was a bit hard."

I could go on...
Concept
This thread is pathetic.

Wahey! Just like your contribution to it! :five:
Reply 38
Lol, this is funny.

Um.. get over yourself? :P sorry to be harsh but since the majority of people on here do maths (I'm guessing) you can't exactly stamp your foot and expect everyone to change for you.. :s-smilie:

Even if the majority didn't do maths.. if you were in a group conversation in real life and someone brought up maths you wouldn't exactly yell at them for saying something you didn't understand :s-smilie: or would you? :s-smilie:

Just accept that you don't know everything and it's not people's right to enlighten you, sometimes you are just clueless, everybody is sometimes, get over it.

Edit:
Wahey! Just like your contribution to it!

But lol, that made me laugh :P
DoMakeSayThink
I've had a rethink. I can see where you're coming from, in a way. I think your mistake was to call it arrogance. You'd probably get a lot more sympathy if you didn't insult people. As far as I can tell, it's unlikely you'll know much about any module you don't do, whether it be maths or otherwise. I don't know whether you're a Chemistry student, but lets imagine you're not - How much sense would 'OCR Chemistry Chains & Rings' make to you? Without knowledge of the subject, it's very unlikely you'll realise that the module title refers to organic chemistry. Chains & Rings sounds more like a study in the poor fashion sense of certain people. See where I'm coming from? Module names are hardly enlightening, and it doesn't take long to learn that when people omit the subject name, they're generally talking about maths. I don't think it should really be a big issue.

No, it's not a big issue. Although I do have to say the use of the terms 'big issue' and 'point of a thread' are major moot points, seeing as a thread not all threads are made to achieve something, or to discuss a major issue.

Anyway, I think you're right. Arrogance probably isn't the right word. I can't really think of the right word, but yeah arrogance probably isn't it. :smile:

Oh - and to those who've said it's not just mathematicians that do this - fair enough. I chose maths because to me it's the one that I see MUCH more often than any other examples - and it's usually the least descriptive in what people shorten it to.

Latest