The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
EEEGUY
you will get taxed though, from you earn a penny you get taxed the bottom rate of income tax, then you get it back in a rebate.

So aiming to earn less than a certain amount is pointless, as it makes no difference

What you say must be wrong? I thought if you earn a certain amount you won't get taxed (£104), so your saying you earn 1p, you'll get taxed on that 1p?
Reply 21
user_01332

Your tax is worked out on a yearly basis. if you earn £1000 in 1 week but that’s all your earn in the whole year you will get the tax back that you have paid.

True, but would you not get NI on that £1000? Which you can't claim back, i'm assuming that there is a threshold similar to the £5435 for tax with NI.
Reply 22
You get like 5 and a bit grand tax free, but when you start earning you get taxed straight away the details are sorted out later, and then you get your tax (from the tax free 5k) back.

Ive had a number of jobs in my time and Ive always been taxed, unless Ive filled out a special form.

Also just incase the OP doesnt know, you'll have National Insurance and Income tax off your first pay cheque.

The N.I you dont get back.
Reply 23
EEEGUY
You get like 5 and a bit grand tax free, but when you start earning you get taxed straight away the details are sorted out later, and then you get your tax (from the tax free 5k) back.

Ive had a number of jobs in my time and Ive always been taxed, unless Ive filled out a special form.

Also just incase the OP doesnt know, you'll have National Insurance and Income tax off your first pay cheque.

The N.I you dont get back.

You dont get NI back, but if you fill in the right form to start with, (P46S (I thunked?)) then you wont pay tax at all until your over £5400. Ive had 3 jobs and non have charged me tax ever.
Reply 24
You'll still be taxed National Insurance if you fill out a P46, you just dont pay Income tax.
Reply 25
this confuses me too..

i only work sundays and last month i got paid 101.31, and then got a reduction of 20.20 but it doesnt say what for :s-smilie:

so then i ended up with 81.11.

is that right? my tax code is basic rate, but that still seems alot for earning so little..
Get a job where u get paid cash in hand. i work as a waitress for a large chain, i think think i get taxed, and also i get tips ion top of it! its the best way reallyl ol. x
meant to say i DNT think lol sorry
Reply 28
Flossy_
this confuses me too..

i only work sundays and last month i got paid 101.31, and then got a reduction of 20.20 but it doesnt say what for :s-smilie:

so then i ended up with 81.11.

is that right? my tax code is basic rate, but that still seems alot for earning so little..

Seems about right 20%.

You should eventually get it back.
Reply 29
do i claim this back or will it just come back to me eventually?
Reply 30
Not too sure tbh, Ive claimed mine back, where as others have got it back automatically.

I'd just ring em and ask about a rebate.

Latest

Trending

Trending