The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pepe Le Poosh
I tihnk the whoel purpose of this thread is to vent your worries away form people who will inevitably reply

'As if you need to worry you're bound to get like a million As'

People worry, regardless of prior sucesses and academic records and when the stakes are tihs high it makes it 1,000 times worse!

100% agreed, everyone expects sucess and its not easy to manage that on top of your own anxiety about maybe not doing as well as you need to do to get in to do the thing that means the world to you and you have dedicated the past two years of your life to

of course everyone is nervous and worried, but not everybody is surrounded by people who think that there is legitimacy in those worries or who understand the stakes
Pepe Le Poosh
I tihnk the whoel purpose of this thread is to vent your worries away form people who will inevitably reply

'As if you need to worry you're bound to get like a million As'

People worry, regardless of prior sucesses and academic records and when the stakes are tihs high it makes it 1,000 times worse!

Argh, it annoys me so much when people make out that these A2 levels are the be all and end all.

No, the stakes aren't 'this high', you're not going to be hung, drawn and quartered if you get *gasp* a B are you? If you don't do as well as you'd hoped, first off, you could try to get in to the uni by persuading them...then there's clearing.

And if the worst came to the worst - even if you failed every single one, okay, you'd be really disappointed but you'd get over it. Yeah, so you wouldn't be able to go to university this year, but it wouldn't be the end of the world - you could do a gap year and open a door to a career that really interests you that wouldn't have happened if you'd have gone to uni (besides, there are SO many people with degrees who are jobless because of lack of experience). So the lesson is, take life as it comes, worrying about something isn't going to change it - life does throw us **** sometimes but it's the way we deal with it that matters.

To be honest, I doubt any of you have done badly and this thread is just a reassurance thing, but say if something went terribly wrong? In the future, you might look back and think that failing your A-levels were the best thing you ever did as it led you to going on a gap year to Australia and becoming a journalist there etc or something to that effect. Or if you have your heart set on uni, there's always time for uni even if you're 25 when you apply - and by that time you may have more experience which will help you post uni.

I'm just trying to say that this whole mad panic thing doesn't help anyone, as if you think rationally and calmly, there are always other options.

Livs
The Socialite

I'm just trying to say that this whole mad panic thing doesn't help anyone, as if you think rationally and calmly, there are always other options.

Livs

Yes true. But noones telling me they prefer plan B, everyone wants their plan A right? Plus I dont know about anyone else but application to med school for me was one hell of a rollercoaster. Now I have this chance to get in after 3 yrs of A levels (ext circs) you dont exactly want to mess it up!
The Socialite
Argh, it annoys me so much when people make out that these A2 levels are the be all and end all.

No, the stakes aren't 'this high', you're not going to be hung, drawn and quartered if you get *gasp* a B are you? If you don't do as well as you'd hoped, first off, you could try to get in to the uni by persuading them...then there's clearing.

And if the worst came to the worst - even if you failed every single one, okay, you'd be really disappointed but you'd get over it. Yeah, so you wouldn't be able to go to university this year, but it wouldn't be the end of the world - you could do a gap year and open a door to a career that really interests you that wouldn't have happened if you'd have gone to uni (besides, there are SO many people with degrees who are jobless because of lack of experience). So the lesson is, take life as it comes, worrying about something isn't going to change it - life does throw us **** sometimes but it's the way we deal with it that matters.

To be honest, I doubt any of you have done badly and this thread is just a reassurance thing, but say if something went terribly wrong? In the future, you might look back and think that failing your A-levels were the best thing you ever did as it led you to going on a gap year to Australia and becoming a journalist there etc or something to that effect. Or if you have your heart set on uni, there's always time for uni even if you're 25 when you apply - and by that time you may have more experience which will help you post uni.

Livs

im not sure you quite get it
this isnt really like other courses, its medicine, it involves totally immersing yourself not just in the work but the volutary stuff, the reading, the admissions tests and the interviews.
if you have offers and miss them it really does feel like the end of the world. med schools dont generally take a2 resit students and all the courses ask for the same grades pretty much, there are no safety choices it basically leaves us all with the only options really being to study a science and do postgrad medicine or to change life path completely, and that is an incredibly hard change to make after the enormous amount of yourself you have to put into a med application

your perspective is entirely right for other courses, but as a non medic i really dont think you have any understanding of this to be able to comment
Reply 44
I agree with turboshrimp... there is no clearing for medicine, there's very few places that will accept resitters, unis are highly unlikely to take you if you ring up and beg since the course is so popular and they can get plenty of good people who can make the grades, and we worked so hard to get an offer in the first place that to throw it away now would be awful. I don't think it's being melodramatic to say all this.
TurboShrimp
im not sure you quite get it
this isnt really like other courses, its medicine, it involves totally immersing yourself not just in the work but the volutary stuff, the reading, the admissions tests and the interviews.
if you have offers and miss them it really does feel like the end of the world. med schools dont generally take a2 resit students and all the courses ask for the same grades pretty much, there are no safety choices it basically leaves us all with the only options really being to study a science and do postgrad medicine or to change life path completely, and that is an incredibly hard change to make after the enormous amount of yourself you have to put into a med application

your perspective is entirely right for other courses, but as a non medic i really dont think you have any understanding of this to be able to comment

Well said.

As others have mentioned, I don't think non-Medicy folk should be allowed to post in here.

:ninja:
Reply 46
Speedbird2008
Well said.

As others have mentioned, I don't think non-Medicy folk should be allowed to post in here.

Ooh so you're doing dentistry now? *is nosey*
Speedbird2008
Well said.

Ditto in arpeggio's disbeleif.

Why the change?
Reply 48
arpeggio
Ooh so you're doing dentistry now? *is nosey*

i was about to ask the same question :biggrin: but i thought against it. glad you did!
Okay, I'm freaking out.
My results are out in one week, and I'm pretty sure I've failed especially Chemistry and there is no way I'm going to making the grades...Dear God, I can just see all this going down the drain *weeps*

Anyone in the same position? Any tips on the last-moment panic management?
Reply 50
me! Oh so worried...

:frown: that didn't make me feel any better like I thought it would do!
101 Cynicism
Okay, I'm freaking out.
My results are out in one week, and I'm pretty sure I've failed especially Chemistry and there is no way I'm going to making the grades...Dear God, I can just see all this going down the drain *weeps*

Anyone in the same position? Any tips on the last-moment panic management?

In a week? jeez that's fast...It's like 7 weeks for mine lol

Anyhows I'm sure you've done better than you thought, try not to panic :smile: You could always find something to do to keep you busy and your mind off it :smile:
FFCrusader
In a week? jeez that's fast...It's like 7 weeks for mine lol

Anyhows I'm sure you've done better than you thought, try not to panic :smile: You could always find something to do to keep you busy and your mind off it :smile:

Oh, thank you very much!
Aye, I finished my exams mid-May so now's results time. Hearing that some people have already had their conditional offers changed to unconditional is not doing wonders for my blood pressure either

I'm sure you will do fine =), and you have ages before results come out :smile:
Do you think you did well?
The more I think about this, the worse I feel I have done. Anyone else the same?

I need to stop thinking...:biggrin:
Yes, it gets worse by the second...
Reply 55
Frick, frick, frick, frick, frick...

Although I wouldn't re-do A-Levels for all the tea in China... It would mean another 3 sets of medical school exams :wink:

Whhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa/wibble.
Reply 56
you know when they say:
"AAB at A-Level in 3 subjects and grade B in a distinct AS-level. Chemistry and Biology must both be taken to A-level OR one to A-level and the other to AS", does that mean if i have to get an AB in bio and chem?

i still dont understand my offer :s-smilie: and when i rang up and asked they spoke to me like some idiot.

im hoping for A's in maths and arabic and B/C in bio and chem and its freaking me out :eek:

how did i get here? from aiming for 4A's!!! this is saaaaad :frown:
Reply 57
Oh that is quite confusing- if you're doing four A2s does that mean as long as you get AAB in three of them and managed A/B at AS for Bio/Chem the A2 grade doesn't matter?

Argh I hate really confusing offer conditions- Manchester gave mine as
"AAB with minimum Grade B in Chemistry from Chemistry and Maths, and from either German or Religious Studies"
Why not just say AAB including Chem and Maths?
Reply 58
malaz_197
you know when they say:
"AAB at A-Level in 3 subjects and grade B in a distinct AS-level. Chemistry and Biology must both be taken to A-level OR one to A-level and the other to AS", does that mean if i have to get an AB in bio and chem?

i still dont understand my offer :s-smilie: and when i rang up and asked they spoke to me like some idiot.

im hoping for A's in maths and arabic and B/C in bio and chem and its freaking me out :eek:

I'm in the same position as you, I have no idea what the SGUL offer means, but i think it means that you CAN get a B in chem or Bio. just not both. unless you dropped one in AS lol.
Reply 59
malaz_197
you know when they say:

Yor offer is for AABb. If you are taking A2 Chem and Biology then you need either AA, or AB, and your 3rd A2 will need to be at least a B for the former or a A for the later.

OR you can offer either Bio OR Chem at A2, so long as the other is at AS. In this case you will need to get at least a b grade for the one at AS, and either an A or B in the other (depending on what you get for the other two A2 subjects).

Latest

Trending

Trending