The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
One on the train an oldish man sat opposite me and asked me what I'd do if I was sat opposite someone who 'really really wanted it'.
He then offered to take my blood pressure '.'
Reply 41
suuuuuuseh
Not reeeeally sure if it can be called a conversation as such, but last week at the bus stop before school I was trying to find a bit of paper in my Geography textbook, when one of the bin men walking by stopped and said completely seriously: "Please, keep studying."

:rofl:

but also kind of sad. :frown:

What a sense of humour
Reply 42
I was stopped in the street by a man once, and this was literally the conversation, word for word:

"Hi, can I speak to you?"
"Umm..."
"Great. What's your name?"
"Cooro" (I don't give them my real name)
"Cooro, beautiful name. Well, you're beautiful Cooro, and because you're beautiful I'm going to give you this fantastic sticker [hands me a sticker]"
"Er.. tha-"
"And you know what, I'm going to give you this incense- don't smoke this! [laughs] and this CD because you're so beautiful Cooro."
"[guessing his motive] I don't have much money"
"Ah, no worries, no worries! Anything you can give, a pound, two quid, anything is good."
"Okay...[fishes in purse for money and comes up with a pound coin] This is all I've got."
"Ah, thank you, thank you! You're beautiful, thank you, I appreciate it."
"Okay, bye" [runs away quickly]
"Thank you, bye!"

I still have no idea what (if anything) he was collecting for, but I gave him a pound to go away and got some pretty nice incense in return. The ceaseless flattery was nice (if disturbing) though :biggrin:

I was also hugged by a tiny woman (about a foot shorter than me and I'm 5 foot 4) who was collecting for the charity Shelter because I told her I was late for my bus once :s:
Reply 43
Oh, and once a friend and I were in town, talking about how weird it is when people you don't know smile at you for no reason, and I said something along the lines of 'It's annoying, and you're like, yeah, I don't know you, so don't smile at me'. And this random 30-something guy passes us and as he did he said in what seemed to me to be a rather overly cheerful voice, "I'm smiling at you!" We cracked up at that.
One time when I was walking home from my friends house who lives in a dodgy area a 10 year old girl came up to me and started asking me for money she then asked me what school I went to I told her then she asked me if I was a prostitute, lol.
Reply 45
I was trying on a dress in ASDA in an aisle that was away from everyone at 9pm, as the fitting rooms had closed. I was trying it on over what I was wearing, with my friend (who was trying on hats at the time) there for protection, or to tell me someone was coming.
Anyway, this little old lady ventured around the corner to where I was, giggled, and said "Now there's something you don't see every day! Blimey, what a surprise!" to which I gasped, with my arms flailing about through the material and said "It's not what it looks like! I've got clothes on underneath, the fitting rooms are closed!"
She smiled at me and just said "Well, at least you chose a nice dress to get caught in".
Well I was on my Gold DofE practice up in the Peak District and we were up on some mountain walking walking walking and this other walker passes us by as started saying ''do you want to know the secret of the philosopher's stone? well i know what it is...'' we were like huh (4 girls...bit on edge as he'd stopped us getting on) and he was like ''well im a loony i am, never know who you're going to meet up here'' and we were sort of edging away and then he was like ''the secret of the philosopher's stone is: beware of a square shaped rock up here...you never know whats beneath it'' err basically meaning he pooped under it...oh lordy was an um interesting time!
Reply 47
Once my friend was coming to meet me and my friend and he had told the story of how a tramp was swearing and shouting offensive things at him when he got off the bus... :rolleyes:
Cooro
I was stopped in the street by a man once, and this was literally the conversation, word for word:

"Hi, can I speak to you?"
"Umm..."
"Great. What's your name?"
"Cooro" (I don't give them my real name)
"Cooro, beautiful name. Well, you're beautiful Cooro, and because you're beautiful I'm going to give you this fantastic sticker [hands me a sticker]"
"Er.. tha-"
"And you know what, I'm going to give you this incense- don't smoke this! [laughs] and this CD because you're so beautiful Cooro."
"[guessing his motive] I don't have much money"
"Ah, no worries, no worries! Anything you can give, a pound, two quid, anything is good."
"Okay...[fishes in purse for money and comes up with a pound coin] This is all I've got."
"Ah, thank you, thank you! You're beautiful, thank you, I appreciate it."
"Okay, bye" [runs away quickly]
"Thank you, bye!"

I still have no idea what (if anything) he was collecting for, but I gave him a pound to go away and got some pretty nice incense in return. The ceaseless flattery was nice (if disturbing) though :biggrin:

Oh incense and sticker people!! There used to be one always hanging round in Birmingham city centre, who did pretty much exactly the same thing. Either he's moved on to your town or theres an army of them!

One quite funny time was when I was on holiday with my friends in Barcelona, we'd gone clubbing and stayed out all night and were getting the metro back at 6am. My slightly drunk friend saw a rather hot guy as we were coming out of the station and said, slightly too loud, "He's SO FIT!!" Unfortunately he turned out to speak perfect English and came over to us to have a conversation about "how he never thought he'd see smashed English girls at my station!" :p:

We also met these guys on an overnight train from Turkey to Greece, because one of my friends had to share a compartment with one of them. Completely randomly we met them again a week or so later at Venice train station! that was quite a co-incidence. Also on the same trip, we were on a very long train across Greece, I'd fallen asleep and then suddenly jerked awake and was telling my friend about the nightmare I'd just had that woke me up, this young Greek girl opposite me started laughing and then proceeded to translate what I'd said into Greek for her mum, who then also laughed at me. I think the nightmare was a bit strange so they probably thought I was crazy...they were also laughing at us making very complicated friendship bracelets throughout the 8 hour journey, and eating cereal out of the packet with a spoon because that was the only food we had with us...

The owner of the hostel we stayed at in Istanbul also seemed to enjoy constantly jokingly insulting my welsh friend calling him a sheep shagger...I was quite amused that stupid welsh steretypes had spread as far as Turkey!

Hmm, I think the moral of these stories is don't assume people can't understand you when in foreign countries, lol
toddlers crossword

The owner of the hostel we stayed at in Istanbul also seemed to enjoy constantly jokingly insulting my welsh friend calling him a sheep shagger...I was quite amused that stupid welsh steretypes had spread as far as Turkey!

The Turkish like to mock the Welsh. it comes from when John Toshack, who was a Welshman, went to Turkey to manage the Turkish side Beşiktaş. Unfortunately no one had bothered to tell him the Turkish translation for "Toshack".

Marcus
marcusfox
The Turkish like to mock the Welsh. it comes from when John Toshack, who was a Welshman, went to Turkey to manage the Turkish side Beşiktaş. Unfortunately no one had bothered to tell him the Turkish translation for "Toshack".

Marcus

lol :rofl: thats quite unfortunate!
Two years ago when I was out with three friends, we were caught in a freak down pour with nowhere to run for cover. There was a lady a few years older than us as well holding a huge pile of newspapers over her head. We managed to run for a shop cover and she came as well. She took the newspapers down and my friend said to her 'Well you might have lost your money on those but you've probably saved people the bother of having to read boring local news.' To which she replied, 'You're right, they might not deliver good news but they make a *********g good umberella!'

First one that came in to my head :biggrin:
A random drunk irish guy told me i had a beautiful soul. Then stroked my hand against his greasy hair.
Seanisonfire
A random drunk irish guy told me i had a beautiful soul. Then stroked my hand against his greasy hair.

lol just remembered, this guy on a train kept marvelling at my hair and insisting on stroking it (it was when I had it dyed platinum blonde with pink bits in) was v.weird!
toddlers crossword
lol just remembered, this guy on a train kept marvelling at my hair and insisting on stroking it (it was when I had it dyed platinum blonde with pink bits in) was v.weird!

I just remembered another one. Me and my friend were walking through the town centre on our way to a club when a really drunk old irish man stopped us and started mumbling to us. After a few minutes we went to leave and he held his hand out to shake mine, but when i put my hand in his he kissed my hand :indiff:

Notice how it's usually the old (almost always lonely men) who are the ones who 'start' conversations with the young women, or when they see a couple, put in a derogatory sentence to the male. Or them giving 'gifts' to them. As a young male I feel left out.
Casserole
Notice how it's usually the old (almost always lonely men) who are the ones who 'start' conversations with the young women, or when they see a couple, put in a derogatory sentence to the male. Or them giving 'gifts' to them. As a young male I feel left out.

Having worked in a club, I don't. It's no fun to have old ladies in tight leather - what I call "mutton dressed as cow" - trying to pull you.

Marcus
Reply 57
When I was looking at bras in m&s, an old woman came up to me and said "good girl. Wear a bra. When I was your age, I couldn't afford a bra and now my breasts are all saggy. Just look at them. Like two deflated balloons hanging down to my knees. Good girl" and then walked off mumbling to herself.
suuuuuuseh
Not reeeeally sure if it can be called a conversation as such, but last week at the bus stop before school I was trying to find a bit of paper in my Geography textbook, when one of the bin men walking by stopped and said completely seriously: "Please, keep studying."

:rofl:

but also kind of sad. :frown:

I don't get that at all. Am I being thick?
Some Scottish drunk bloke told me I was 'a gentleman', and was '****ing adorable'. I take that badly actually, people always warm to me that way.

Latest

Trending

Trending